• This topic has 459 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 460 total)
  • iPhone X
  • loddrik
    Free Member

As it looks like the new edge to edge screen iPhone will be called when it’s unveiled on Tuesday. Also looks like being phenomenally expensive if all the rumours are true.

Anyone planning on buying?

Kryton57

£600 phones are so last year.

No.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed my 7 plus with 256gb.

What benefits will the X will give me?

If it doubled the battery time then yes. Adds 2 more hours of use? Err no.

I’d keep my 5S/6/7’s and spend it on a bike or house/holiday.

If you’re 5 is knackered and you live by your phone – yes.

No other thing except for a new screen and wireless charging? Not enough sorry.

CountZero

Possibly, but expensive is the way things are going; the new Galaxy Note 8 is apparently $916 in the States, likely to be the same in Pounds here.
    Hmmm, seems to be a bit cheaper than that, around £830 or thereabouts.

CountZero

No other thing except for a new screen and wireless charging? Not enough sorry.

A lot more than that, stainless steel frame, glass front and rear, OLED edge-to-edge screen, dual camera, no home button, uses facial recognition to log in, capacity appears to be 128/256/512Gb, fully waterproof.
    There are other things as well, but those are the major differences.
    Carphone Warehouse are doing the Note 8 SIM-free for £869: https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/samsung/galaxy-note-8.html#!colour=black&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf

v8ninety

So; exponentially more expensive than my trusty 5s, for incremental improvements. It’ll make sense to a lot of people, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

Drac

But it’s shiny.

Jamie
    Free Member

Have an iPhone SE.

I’d like Apple to release a similar sized phone with a new design, rather than using the old iPhone 5 chassis and still charging loads of money.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm…. very tempting and tempted to upgrade. I’ve been waiting for some “evidence” rather than the rumour mill gossip. Looks nice by all accounts, but what cheesed me off about the 7 was the stupid headphone debacle and I expect this will be similar a setup…
    I could do with a bit more memory for the simple fact my 6s holds less than an authentic Sicilian espresso cup, 350 photos and I’m stuffed to the gills.
    I debated long and hard over the Gold 6s I have now, BITD these things were important to a glam puss like me.. today less so.. if it’s black it’ll match my car and my current mood state.

I will wait for the outfall and gossip after it’s launch, then lunch and decide from there.

Money’s not really a concern for me, it’s all about the bling innit 😉

Drac

You’re phone is full with 350 photos?

nealglover
    Free Member

So; exponentially more expensive than my trusty 5s,

Not really 5s 64Gb was £709 when released in 2013 (sim free)

for incremental improvements

Or. More realistically, a phone with massive improvements in every single area, plus totally new things like fully waterproof and wireless charging.

Jamie
    Free Member

Either they’re jamming them in the lightning port or we’re missing a zero.

Drac

A few zeros.

slowoldman

I only upgrade to a 5S from a 3GS last year! This one’s got some time left yet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Ay, about 350 and I’m desperately finger tapping “delete” and wishing I’d never woken up.

I do have “some” music downloaded on d’a phone, some damn fine Funky House that my mates keep sending me.. loath to delete that I am, what would I do without music ? I’m well known around the office for throwing out some moves, I’ve built that reputation up over the last 7 years and I’m not about to regress now am I.

I did buy the least memory 6s I’ll admit, purely on the Cloud incentive.. but it’s been less than impressive IMO.

Or..

I’m doing it all rong.

Drac

Have you selected to back up icloud it will leave thumbnails on your phone.

I’ve got over 12200 photos on mine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yip, dundat.

I have just got in the habit of sync’ing to iTunes once a week now.. and being a procedural nut job it’s become almost a religious act.

Amen.

Drac

Go to:

Settings – General – Storage & iCloud use – Storage Manage Storage

It will tell you what is using all your memory.

It is an issue with the 16Gb as the iOS takes up a bulk of it.

drlex
    Free Member

Nope. And I reckon that it’s not quite baked yet, so won’t be available for immediate shipment after the announcement.

(Like Jamie, I would only upgrade for a 5/SE format device)

matt_outandabout

Note 8 SIM-free for £869

Diminishing returns time on these things now, surely..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Go to:

Settings – General – Storage & iCloud use – Storage Manage Storage

It will tell you what is using all your memory.

It is an issue with the 16Gb as the iOS takes up a bulk of it.

Yeah, thanks for the tips but I already do that.. I’ve gotten used to it now.

One reason I’m thinking of upgrading..

gauss1777
    Free Member

I could do with a bit more memory

Could you not put a bigger sd card in it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

gauss1777 – Member
    I could do with a bit more memory

Could you not put a bigger sd card in it?

Yo!

U funni man

🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

I only have phone someone else will pay for.

I’ve got a 7 at the mo, I can’t remember how long I’ve had it, but I’ll probably get whatever is current at the time.

I do fancy a pixel next time though.

They’re great and all that, like my 7 but I do think the people who buy a new one every year are a bit nutty. I don’t think I could bring myself to pay more than a £100 or so if I was paying my own money – a Galaxy Mini is more than enough for anyone IMHO, they’re £120 or so, I don’t see an X or whatever at £900 or whatever they cost is worth it. It an horrific amount of money for something that’s the best thing in the world one day and a bit old hat a year later and pretty much worthless 3 years later.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Got a 6 at the moment which has been out of contract for a while waiting for the ‘8’ / ‘x’

If I can’t get a contract with calls/texts & > 5gb data for ~ £35 a month I will just get a 7

Not sure how the home button/face recognition will work !?? i.e. Wearing a hat or sunglasses

jimdubleyou

– a Galaxy Mini is more than enough for anyone IMHO, they’re £120 or so

pffft. Just because that fits your use case, it doesn’t mean it’s everybody else’s.

I mean a BSO is more than enough for everybody right? Why could anybody possibly need a bike that costs £2500?

and pretty much worthless 3 years later.

The iPhone 6 was released 3 years ago, cost about £550. You can still get £150-200 on ebay for them. CEX will give you £138 cash or £198 store credit for one.

What you say might well be true of lower market Android phones.

jimdubleyou

Back to the OT, I will wait and see if it offers anything special over and above the 6S I have at the moment. Even if it is compelling, I doubt I’ll be getting one this year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was waiting for the 8 (or X) but no interest in paying £800 – £1000 !!!!! 😯

Still on my 6 (original battery, 64gb half empty) may look at 7S (or Plus) if as rumoured they introduce an incremental update of the 7 alongside the premium 8/X. Will wait and see what Tuesday brings but don’t feel in a rush to upgrade

iOS takes about 3gb I recall, wife’s 5 runs ok woth just 8gb she just can’t keep that many photos. We are not bothered with music or local video storage

wilburt
    Free Member

Will it have a 3.5mm headphone jack? If not I’ll keep my 6 until it dies then get a Samsung.

Cougar

So, the iPhone model numbers are based on the number of hundreds of pounds they cost to buy, yes?

(-:

Cougar

Just spotted a tweet from someone who’s extracted model names from the next iOS release. It looks like there’s going to be three phones announced next week: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.

bensales
    Free Member

Top of the range kit is expensive shocker.

jambalaya
    Free Member

iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X.

Those names would be consistent with past naming convention.

Drac

Yeah speculation for the last few days is those models.

deviant
    Free Member

Its users like me that need Google to step up it’s game media wise.
    I have an iPhone, not because I wanted an iPhone, not because I like it but because I have a huge amount of bought and paid for media on iTunes….yes I know there’s apps for transferring this over to the Android platform pretty easily…the real pain once back on an Android handset is going into Google Play, typing in the name of a song and getting nothing back…for all its hardware shortcomings (there’s a lot, I’ll get into that in a minute) Apple do seem to have the consumption side of things sewn up.

I can go into iTunes and type in some obscure late 80s/early 90s house track and it’s there…try it in Google Play and you only get current hits and well known classics.

With regards innovation, Apple hasn’t done any….for ages now…in tech terms they’ve been playing catchup for years.
    Samsung, HTC and Sony have all had better displays than iPhones for years now, the latest Samsung Galaxy and the new Sony Xpreia XZ both have remarkable displays that makes the current iPhones look about a decade out of date…if you stream tv, watch films, browser YouTube etc then it’s all better with a flagship Android sadly.

Face recognition was on my Google/LG Nexus back in 2014…Sony had a flagship out in 2015 that you could take swimming (and a friend did, regularly, it was brilliant)…etc etc…

The last couple of iPhones I’ve had (6 and 5SE) have been ridiculously fragile, gorilla glass?!…erm no, more like brittle bone china, one drop and the thing is ruined…the slippery 6 I owned went back twice for screen repairs….and with the last repair the finger print scanner stopped working (another feature that debuted first with an Android manufacture)…the 5SE has been marginally better but having to use a case defeats the point doesn’t it?….hasnt Apple’s tagline been something about stuff ‘just works’ or fanboys croaking about ‘build quality’ whatever that means!?….wrapping a phone in fragile glass is not quality, it’s crap and they get broken…a lot.
    The better half is on her second 6S, she’s happy to use a case so a potentially nice looking design now looks ugly, chunky and indistinguishable from any other smart phone out there….they both shut down, a lot….”i’ve got 15% battery left….oh no, wait, it’s turned off…anyone got a charger?”….seems to be a common theme.
    All of our collective iPhones from 5S to 5SE to 6 to 6S have all frozen with a regularity that our old Android phones didn’t (ios is so great, it doesn’t freeze unlike Android…yeah right!)….in short Apple handsets are overpriced tat, far and away the best phone I had in terms of battery life, screen size and quality, ease of use, build, looks etc was an HTC One-S from about 2012….that thing looked good, full rubber and metal build, no plastic…no physical buttons on screen, purely touch operated…HTCs lovely ‘sense’ skin over Android and two day battery life….it was also less than 8mm in thickness but that still didn’t stop Apple spouting nonsense about how their iPhone 5 (released 6 months later by the way) was the first sub 8mm phone, the tech websites should have pulled them up on that, it didn’t seem an issue to HTC who politely ignored it but when Apple was using the ‘breakthrough’ dimensions as a draw in its ad campaign the industry as a whole should’ve told them to button it.

Apple peaked with the 4S, since then they’ve been behind the curve….like I said at the beginning, great media library but average handset….sadly I’ve spent thousands in iTunes over the years and don’t want to throw that away now.

If iTunes was open to Android handsets there’s loads of us who would gladly drive over our iPhones and run back to Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG etc….

Jamie
    Free Member

The last couple of iPhones I’ve had (6 and 5SE) have been ridiculously fragile

My previous SE fell off a moving car on the dual carriageway and survived. I’d say the 5/5S/SE chassis is one of the strongest and well built out there.

GrahamS

I’ve literally just (last week) relented and upgraded from my venerable 4S to a 64GB SE… for a whopping £195 on eBay.

So no, I won’t be paying a grand to go to an 8 or X.
    Don’t get me wrong, I like tech, but from what I can see it just doesn’t do anything new that I need. And I like smaller form-factor phones.

The last couple of iPhones I’ve had (6 and 5SE)

There is no 5SE. There’s a 5, a 5S, and an SE.
    SE is one of their current models (until X/8 comes out anyway) and is basically the guts of a 6S in a similar shell to the 5S.

Coyote
    Free Member

I switched from Android to iPhone because the SE offered excellent tech in a small form chassis without the usual compromises found on other makes. Would find it very hard to go back now. Really hope that Apple keep a SFF handset in their fleet.

pictonroad

^ An SE fits inside the Specialized SWAT storage box, the 6 doesn’t. I hope Apple keeps this enormous potential market satisfied…

mrmo
    Free Member

my big concern is the move to facial recognition. I wear glasses, i am assuming that this has been considered but i have seen no mention in any rumour????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 460 total)

The topic ‘iPhone X’ is closed to new replies.