iPhone X

Home Forum Chat Forum iPhone X

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 460 total)
  • iPhone X
  • sharkbait

No, that’s careless or dangerous driving. Using a car sat nav itself is not illegal (even the police use them!).
    It’s not even illegal to have one [reasonably] located on your windscreen.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Meanwhile in the papers there is a story about a guy who was filmed behind the wheel while using two different phones and eating a bowl of cereal at the same time!

Driver with two mobiles is a cereal offender

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Is there ? As a non smoker I don’t know, but it appears not one single smoker does either.

Not in control of a vehicle. Not many smokers realize you can’t litter either.

Yes same law covers eating at the wheel.

sniff

I can press the power button once and then [as it’s an Android and my car is a Trusted Device, the phone doesn’t need unlocking] ask it to do whatever I want. It’s quicker, easier and safer than inputting a postcode on the satnav!

Or setup Google Assistant with a trusted voice and you don’t need to press anything. OK Google, Navigate to OL14 5PX

Jamie

I do hope iOS 11 has improved Siri.

Ok, maybe with some specifics…

**** it. I’ll just use Google Assistant.

johndoh

No, that’s careless or dangerous driving. Using a car sat nav itself is not illegal (even the police use them!).

I had already pointed out

No, while it is okay to use your phone as a sat nav (as long as it is secured in a holder correctly, and out of the 45-degree angle of the driver’s view) – you can not press buttons on it while you are driving.

What about sat navs, or using my phone as a sat nav?

You can use your phone as a sat nav, but you can not touch it or reprogramme it while driving.

It isn’t difficult to grasp is it?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon madhouse
    Subscriber

I must admit I was looking to this iPhone launch with some anticipation, having skipped the 7 & 7S models and the noise around the iPhone X I was ready to consider an upgrade.

But now I’m not. I’ve not been wowed enough to consider parting with £50 a month for the next two years to own hardware that’ll turn my face into Apples version of Mr Hanky. As for the iPhone 8, well that just looks the same as a 6 or 7 and if I get a new phone I don’t want to have to explain to everyone that I have – they should know by looking at it.

So thank-you Apple, you’ve saved me a fortune with your latest iPhone launch. I’ll upgrade my Garmin instead.

edit – only ever used Siri for amusement, latest one being to say ‘skaramoosh, skaramoosh can you do the vandango’ and then let Siri do the rest.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

if I get a new phone I don’t want to have to explain to everyone that I have – they should know by looking at it.

sharkbait

Well you seem to be missing my point and I just cba explaining it.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Only when driving.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Siri Vs Ok Google – no contest btw.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Well there is a bit though.

Because of the way that iOS sandboxes third party apps, even though it might be better at understanding what you actually want Ok Google isn’t allowed to do half the things that Siri can.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Am I missing something here? This display goes edge to edge:

And this is has a clear bezel/border, therefore not edge to edge:

….?

rs

dmorts, you’ve won a t-shirt, congratulations

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Do Apple use the terms edge to edge?

CountZero

Well, it doesn’t go edge to edge either, there’s a deep black band top and bottom, and zooming in shows each end has a radius that curves up to join a thin black line running up each edge, the iP X has an identical thin black line along each edge, where it curves around. Looks like edge to edge, especially as all four edges are identical, with the exception of the small ‘notch’ that accommodates the sensor array and camera, which looks fine to me.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Panic over you can keep warm.

Face ID works with hats, beards, glasses, scarves, and other accessories that partially obscure the face. According to Apple, this is because the A11 Bionic chip in the iPhone X uses machine learning and a neural engine to recognize changes in your appearance.

Also interesting.

Touch ID locks a device after five failed attempts, but with Face ID, Apple is only allowing two failed attempts. After two incorrect scans, the iPhone X will lock and require your passcode to unlock again.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/how-iphone-x-face-id-works/

nickhit3

Do Apple use the terms edge to edge?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iphone+x+edge+to+edge&oq=iphone+x+edge+to+edge&aqs=chrome..69i57.7399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It’s immaterial if apple are calling it edge to edge if every commentator and website covering the iPhone x is. I agree that strictly speaking.. its not ‘edge to edge’ It is nit picking of course, and it personally wouldn’t stop me buying one if i could happily spunk that kind of cash on a phone, but it was the first thing that came to mind as soon as i saw the leaks… it categorically isn’t edge to edge when you have competitors that truly are with their screen tech.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

Still, bigger screen that a 7plus but smaller than a 7plus = win

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

It’s immaterial if apple are calling it edge to edge if every commentator and website covering the iPhone x is.

So no then.

thing that came to mind as soon as i saw the leaks… it categorically isn’t edge to edge when you have competitors that truly are with their screen tech.

Yes but Apple haven’t claimed it was the media did.

johndoh

Apparently there are problems with web pages having white borders to the left and right. Looks like Apple may have screwed up a bit here. Also (apparently) many of their native apps (such as contacts) don’t allow for the notch either.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It’s just a phone. Even new bike releases don’t get this much thread on here…

Jamie

…and yet every September the iPhone thread gets 10+ pages.

Edit: Ok, last year was only 6 pages. I take it all back.

bikebouy

molgrips – Member

You Sir are not new here…

We like Shineee..

Speshly when its Appleeeee iPhoneeeeeee

And we enjoy “healthy debate” and “engage fully and completely” and “respect others Points Of View” and “understand if your views do not match my own”

F’o the good of all Mankind.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

YAY! Molgrips help make it to a dozen pages.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

How does FaceID work for purchasing? Do I have to sort of leer over the contactless machine, or is it working from fairly oblique angles?

The SIM’d watch was more interesting to me – Strava, gps and emergency calls from a watch for 400 seems quite good

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Mrs K has just revealed that on holiday 2 weeks ago she broke her Apple Watch that I brought her.

What a coincidence.

Frankenstein

Not a big enough leap if it doesn’t have a built in toothbrush.

The 8 seems less advanced than the cheaper 7.

Animated emoticons looks cool.

Rather have more battery power than gizmos.

The X looks nice but I’m keeping my 7 Plus. Rather give some money to charity.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

How does FaceID work for purchasing? Do I have to sort of leer over the contactless machine

Discussed earlier, unlock then you have 60 seconds to present it to the contactless machine.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

My point was partly anti-materialistic, but also pointing out that there really isn’t much in the way of innovation, is there? It basically does the same things as the old one.

Much as I want to get a new S8 I’ve realised that it will be identical in use to my S6. All the same apps, the same OS.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

The 8 seems less advanced than the cheaper 7.

How so?

Not a fan of the glass back, but the 8 has wireless charging, True Tone display, shoots 4K at 60fps (vs 30), the faster CPU/GPU (A11 v a10)

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

Not a huge leap but doesn’t seem like a backwards one either.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

really isn’t much in the way of innovation, is there? It basically does the same things as the old one.

Well the Face ID + the infra-red camera + neural engine + depth mapping AR are new abilities. As is wireless charging (for the iPhone anyway).

But I think the core functionality of smartphones is pretty well covered these days, by all brands, so the real game-changing innovations are a bit thin on the ground.

FWI, I expect I’ll be sticking with my SE for at least the next three years, probably longer.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

if I get a new phone I don’t want to have to explain to everyone that I have – they should know by looking at it.

I know some of us scoffed at this comment, but it’s a fair one. Loads of us – right here on this thread – are largely underwhelmed and unexcited by this new iPhone. As a few have said, most of us are more than happy with what our phones do nowadays. If you’re happy with the function of your current phone, what else could persuade you to upgrade?

The look and design of the phone.

Apple keep releasing a new phone that looks just like the old one. That’s a huge reason *not* to upgrade. If you spent £4000 on your latest Santa Cruz you’d want it to look different from your old one, no?

People are shallow. People want their new toys to look like new toys, not look like the old toy they’ve just replaced. This stinks of Tim Cook focusing too much on manufacturing economies of scale and basically selling the same physical form factor at different price points.

(Yes, I realise the iPhone X looks different, but the point is valid for the 8 )

nickhit3

So no then.

now who’s being pedantic?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Call me judgemental, but I think someone who chucks out a perfectly good phone that works fine and does everything they need, then spanks the best part of a grand on a new one, purely because they want everyone to notice, is a pretty awful human being.

So yeah, Farrell Reaction it is..

nickhit3

bloody hell that was a bit judgemental.

wilburt

Or a really nice one with money to spare.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 460 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.