• This topic has 459 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 460 total)
  • iPhone X
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m interested in hearing about the facial recognition element of the new phone. Certainly I can see it being a bit annoying:

A) Being pissed and slobbering when you need to FB mates whilst dribbling down your best white ironed shirt
    B) Growing a beard, stubble or shaving one off
    C) Wearing glasses or contacts or both or neither
    D) Annoying Siri to the point she refuses You access to your phone 😆

P-Jay
    Free Member

I still can’t believe people are still trying to justify a £900 (or whatever) smartphone like it’s a necessary thing and has features so amazing that it would be impossible for them to navigate their way through life without them, especially if they definitely didn’t need those features last round, because when the other tribes phones had them, they were pointless.

Shit, if want the new shiny thing, at least be brave enough to say it – trying to justify is as a sensible level-headed purchase is verging on the pathetic.

And FFS stop comparing them to bikes too – bikes are brilliant things that make life better. Smartphones are either tools to make you work more or to distract you from the mundane for a few moments.

Keep the phone you’ve got, stop living life through a 5, 5.5 or 6″ screen (pick one, be a dick about it) and spend the money on a holiday, go and see something worth remembering, not something worth filming to try to impress your equally media overloaded FB friends.

plyphon
    Free Member

I mean, I’m sure Apple, a company with almost unlimited resources and some of the smartest minds on the planet, have thought about what happens if someone shaves their beard. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

plyphon – Member
    I mean, I’m sure Apple, a company with almost unlimited resources and some of the smartest minds on the planet, have thought about what happens if someone shaves their beard.

Just copy whatever samsung did 5 years ago or whenever the S3 came out with it’s facial unlock, Nexus 5 had it too I seem to recall.

jimdubleyou

P-Jay
    TL:DR

5/10, not enough caps.

stevious

Did they ditch the headphone jack just to make it more waterproof? Do the other waterproof phones have no jack?

Anyway, I might upgrade to one of the other ones being released (the iphone 8 or 7s or whatever they’ll call it) if it’s going to survive in my pocket on a wet bike ride. Also because buying expensive consumer electronics is the only way I can feel any joy.

GrahamS

Just copy whatever samsung did 5 years ago or whenever the S3 came out with it’s facial unlock, Nexus 5 had it too I seem to recall.

Weren’t they widely slated as complete failures that could be fooled by simply holding up a photograph of a person, but conversely failed to recognise the actual face?

Rumour mill suggests the Apple one will be infra-red based and used some form of 3D depth analysis that it’ll get from the AR hardware.

Did they ditch the headphone jack just to make it more waterproof?

No, they ditched it to further tie people to the Apple ecosystem, while telling them it was required to make it waterproof.

I have a bright yellow 1980s waterproof walkman somewhere that has a headphone jack on it.

stevious

No, they ditched it to further tie people to the Apple ecosystem,

Rats. Now I have even less rational basis for upgrading. Maybe I’ll have to find happiness in something like human relationships or personal growth instead.

doris5000

I mean, I’m sure Apple, a company with almost unlimited resources and some of the smartest minds on the planet, have thought about what happens if someone shaves their beard.

I’m sure they have. And based on my experience of apple OSs over the last year or two, it probably involves opening iFace, finding the settings menu, invoking BeardTime, navigating to Advanced Settings, switching off Stubble, entering your AppleID password, and it can’t be done if you’re not online and logged in to iCloud (only £5 a month)

(I’m still grumpy because I tried to email some pics out of Photos last night)

GrahamS

Which… was remarkably easy…?

bikebouy
    Free Member

doris5000 – Member
    I’m sure they have. And based on my experience of apple OSs over the last year or two, it probably involves opening iFace, finding the settings menu, invoking BeardTime, navigating to Advanced Settings, switching off Stubble, entering your AppleID password, and it can’t be done if you’re not online and logged in to iCloud (only £5 a month)
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You can tell Apple are gearing up to sell us some new stuff, cos all my old stuff starts playing up 😕

– Headphone jack playing up? Check
    – iMac on a general go-slow? Check
    – iPhone on a general go-slow? Check
    – AirDrop not working? Check (although to be fair, I’ve never got this working)

Apple. It just works. Until it doesn’t.

doris5000

Which… was remarkably easy…?

no, I don’t use Mail. I just use Gmail in a web browser. You can’t just drag them into the mail like you could with iPhoto. And you can’t click ‘share’ and email them that way because it only supports Mail. Eventually I dragged them onto the desktop, then dragged them from the desktop into the mail, then deleted them back off the desktop.

Small beans really, but I just find using Apple stuff is full of niggly UI fails like this now. There was no need to remove that function! 🙁

– AirDrop not working? Check (although to be fair, I’ve never got this working)

ha, I have literally never once got AirDrop to work either 😆

wilburt
    Free Member

I have had every shape of Iphone (if not the variations) and this…

You can tell Apple are gearing up to sell us some new stuff, cos all my old stuff starts playing up

is 100% true.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

@doris5000 – check out Yoink on the Mac app store. It’s a great (free) little app that makes dragging and dropping files around really easy. It would have helped in the scenario above because you would not have had to drop the file on the desktop and then delete it after.

jam-bo

no, I don’t use Mail. I just use Gmail in a web browser.

you know there is a gmail app?

GrahamS

You can tell Apple are gearing up to sell us some new stuff, cos all my old stuff starts playing up

On the other hand, I won’t be upgrading to iOS11 any time soon because if I look in Settings->General->About->Apps then I can see that 39 of my 162 installed apps will not work with iOS 11. 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good tip thanks Graham^

Only 13 for me, and only one of those might cause me a problem; the rest are all games I rarely, if ever, play. Be good to have an excuse to delete them 😉

jam-bo

i’ve been using iOS 11 for a week or two. it’s nice redesign but nothing groundbreaking. I only updated as it give more functionality for airpods.

doris5000

@doris5000 – check out Yoink on the Mac app store.

thanks for the tip – will do!

My main bugbear is this kind of thing used to be easy, and by removing functionality like this I think Apple is slowly losing the amazing advantage they had in usability. But hey ho.

jam-bo

My main bugbear is this kind of thing used to be easy, and by removing functionality like this I think Apple is slowly losing the amazing advantage they had in usability. But hey ho.

use the gmail app and it would be easy.

set up the mail app with a gmail account and it would be easy.

using gmail in a browser is making it hard.

rs
    Free Member

I’ll be upgrading to something, but not sure what, smashed my 6s plus against a log while riding, still works but a bit bent, main thing I’d like is the dual camera, so may cheap out and get the 7 plus, or if there is any standout feature or major camera improvement, may spring for the 8 plus or X.

ps. Pjay, its ok, I will still go on holidays whichever one I get.

doris5000

using gmail in a browser is making it hard.

but it wasn’t always hard though! I’ve used gmail in a browser with OSX since about 2006 and it’s been fine. It’s only since Apple replaced iPhoto that it became an issue. And again, not even a massive issue, just one of these little annoyances (like removal of line-in/line out headphone port toggle – WHAT DID THAT EVEN ACHIEVE ARGH or the current iPhone 7 / MacBook adaptor cobblers) which seem to have no upside but a UI or functional downside

anyway, I’m still pretty much an apple person for the time being.

jam-bo

i’ve just logged into gmail on safari, attached a bunch of photos from my camera roll and emailed them to myself.

user error 😉

doris5000

💡

I wasn’t on Safari. Maybe that’s it?

Anyway what did you do? Drag them from Photos? Or a different app?

jam-bo

this is on iOS yeah? I pressed the attach symbol and picked them from my camera roll.

doris5000

ah no it’s on MacOS. Sorry. I appear to have hijacked this thread about telephones with my whinging about computers.

Carry on 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just read up on IOS11 (release next week) and I’m eager to see it’s UI.

One thing it’s supposed to do is update all your settings/preferences and keychain to each device you have just by holding one device next to another 😆

Yeah… ok. We will see shall we.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Keychain sharing via Bluetooth would be useful. When entering a new wifi password I try and remember to start with iPad as phone will then update automatically via mobile data

Otherwise for iOS11 I hope there is not too much notification / lock screen stuff I will have to switch off like in iOS10

Finally anyone upgrading and selling their 6S or 7’s let us know.

k-sugden
    Free Member

zokes
    Free Member

I still can’t believe people are still trying to justify a £900 (or whatever) smartphone like it’s a necessary thing and has features so amazing that it would be impossible for them to navigate their way through life without them, especially if they definitely didn’t need those features last round, because when the other tribes phones had them, they were pointless.

Sure, it’s probably not strictly necessary, but lets unpack this a little:

That £900 device will be used for several hours a day, every day, for at least the next year, if not two or three. Lets divide £900 by three hours a day and 365 days in one year, and you get a total cost of 82p per hour of use, even if you use it less than average, and upgrade at the earliest opportunity.

Replace those conservative usage figures with someone who replaces their phone every three years and uses it the average amount of five hours a day and you get 16p per hour.

Now do the same with your car, bike, or anything else remotely expensive that you own. Bike lights are usually a good place to start 😀

Poopscoop

Surely Apple is the mobile equipment of the 27.5″ wheel size?

Joking aside I know less and less people these days that have iPhones. Not pretending to know why as such and it might just be a reflection of those people I know! Lol

Personally I love that fact I can get a ridiculously cheap but still capable android for biking/festival purposes but still have the choice to get a Pixel or whatever for general usage.

Hey, not trying to convince anyone, internet forums don’t work that way.

I just find Apple being more quaint that innovative these days.

That said, most smart phones are all a bit “bleh” nowadays feature wise.

Just my opinion guys.

End of the day any item is worth what people will pay for it. There is no right or wrong to this potential purpose.

I hope those that do buy it are blown away by it and enjoy their new mobile! 🙂

Kryton57

zokes – Still not a customer
    Sure, it’s probably not strictly necessary, but lets unpack this a little:

That £900 device will be used for several hours a day, every day, for at least the next year, if not two or three. Lets divide £900 by three hours a day and 365 days in one year, and you get a total cost of 82p per hour of use, even if you use it less than average, and upgrade at the earliest opportunity.

Replace those conservative usage figures with someone who replaces their phone every three years and uses it the average amount of five hours a day and you get 16p per hour.

Now do the same with your car, bike, or anything else remotely expensive that you own. Bike lights are usually a good place to start

There was a good article about this in last nights paper. Added to the above they gone on to mention use – email, sat nav, calendar, knowledge at your fingertips etc – starting adding the cost of all those mechanisms as individual pc apps, dedicated sat nav, encyclopedia brittanica etc and its soon far outweighed especially if your say a travelling saleman reliant on mobile & flexible content.

However, doesnt change the fact i can do the same on a £160 Android phone. Choices is choices.

vinnyeh

Very cool, assuming it’s accurate, and probably not possible on a £160 Android phone.
    Apple’s take on augmented reality, and the support it receives from developers may be a big driver for phone sales if it needs this generation’s processing power for best results.

[video]https://youtu.be/iw9MPZoPqCQ[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apple’s take on augmented reality, and the support it receives from developers may be a big driver for phone sales if it needs this generation’s processing power for best results.

Unless your doing this in the middle of nowhere you don’t need raw processing on the device, cloud does all that for you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I still can’t believe people are still trying to justify a £900

Well don’t think of it as a phone, think of it as a mini-computer because that is where it is heading, and as far as raw computing power goes an iPhone probably has as much computing power as a low to mid level laptop. The latest Samsung device advert shows a docking station connected to a screen implying it can also be a desktop computer. Given that Apple don’t innovate and are never first to market with anything you can bet your bottom dollar this is the direction the new Apple 8/X will be moving in, especially given the convergence of Mac OS and Apple IOS over the last few years.

So if this is indeed the direction they are heading then I think a £900 price tag is probably good value.

FuzzyWuzzy

Well given that Apple already have patents for various screen dock configurations then yes they’ll head in that direction – whilst I agree they’re rarely first to market it’s more because they’re conservative and don’t want to upset their huge market rather than lacking in innovation.

As for the iPhone X, if I used my phone for anything more than calls, texts, emails and the odd mobile game I’d be tempted. I don’t think it’s worth £900+ but then I don’t think any phone is worth more than a a couple of hundred quid but that’s due to my limited use of them, if I was on it 5+ hours a day and using a lot of apps etc. then £900 doesn’t sound a lot.

vinnyeh

Unless your doing this in the middle of nowhere you don’t need raw processing on the device, cloud does all that for you.

While we may all revert to dumb terminals in the future, Apple’s implementation uses the device’s cpu/gpu as far as I’m aware.

wilburt
    Free Member

I think the last Microsoft phone could doc and be used a PC which I would prefer now Windows is so good but the phone itself and mobile version of Windows had pretty poor reviews.

In principle though a phone that could be used as a desktop perhaps with a projector would be a step forward of value.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Those cost per usage stats(figures/estimates) ^^ are quite a realistic way of looking at the cost of the iPhone.
    Ya’ I’m a fanbouy, never going to deny that, but I’m a realist by nature so..

I use my iPhone quite a lot during the day, personal calls and work calls (ex colleagues/contacts out of work, but in the work environment and the occasional other call) I’d say (just looking at call log yesterday) I took 21 calls, made 16. Used the internet about 25 times (healthy estimate) and stayed on for about 5mins each time. Used FB/Insta and a few other apps about 15-20 times. Listened to SoundCloud and iTunes for about 30mins (travelling normally) Mail accessed about 15 times.
    Healthy use of my iPhone I reckon, and typical of my usage. I’ve had my 6s for two years, it’s still in as new condition too despite being in all sorts of outdoor environments, and snoozing on the office desk.

Also, got home and grabbed the iPad Air. Sat scrolling around for about 2hours last night whilst watching Minority Report, again similar app usage and mail (less, maybe twice) used GoogleMaps for finding out which beach I’m off too in Brest soon..
    But all of that I could have done on my iPhone couldn’t I. iPad Air is about 18mths old, hardly leaves the house unless I take it up north…

MacAir, haven’t touched it for about a week and a half and the last time was to sync iPhone and iPad Air to iTunes..

So, by my very rudimentary analysis I think the cost of the iPhone is justified.

Before I turned to the Apple way of life I had a Galaxy s3, it was nice enough but I sold it and bought a iPhone 5s and life for me has just barrelled blindly (in some ways) into the Apple way of life… I’m probably never going to change that now until my fingers give up tapping.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 460 total)

The topic ‘iPhone X’ is closed to new replies.