Home Forums News Interview: Kade Edwards in Anytime BTS – ‘I’m not going to get any better in the next 10 minutes’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Interview: Kade Edwards in Anytime BTS – ‘I’m not going to get any better in the next 10 minutes’
  • stwhannah

I went down to Dyfi Bike Park for a day of riding followed by a UK Premiere of ‘Anytime’, the latest film from Anthill and Red Bull, that celebrates f …

By stwhannah

Get the full story here:

Interview: Kade Edwards in Anytime BTS – ‘I’m not going to get any better in the next 10 minutes’

weeksy

Excellent article, nice job :)

rockhopper70

Forgive me, but from just a “how does journalism work” query, was this interview recorded audio (or even video)? Do you then have to go away and type it up for this article?  Or do you take notes?

Just to be sure, I’m not taking anything away from the article which was a good insight, but I’m curious why there may not be a recorded version to listen to, such as the making up the numbers.  Is that an editorial decision?  Or to mix up the formats?  I do find myself, in my head, reading the questions in one voice, then the answers in another!

Again, this is pure curiosity how journalism and reporting work.

Thanks!

stwhannah

@rockhopper70 To record a podcast you need really good audio, plus a bunch of time to edit it – to make a podcast listenable you really have to take out all the erms and ums and so on. Out and about, it’s hard to get the audio quality needed (for example, there’s a loud sound system playing in the background here in the actual recording). Thanks to the wonders of AI transcription, there’s now a halfway house between a podcast and an interview (which would previously have been based on lots of note taking, filling in the narrative, and occasional quotes). For interviews like this, I record the chat, use AI to transcribe it, and then check back against the recording for accuracy. I straighten out the text a bit so it misses the half sentences etc that we all have in speech, and the result is a much fuller interview than I could possibly previously achieve in written form with available time and resources.  But, you really wouldn’t want to listen to the audio – it’s way too rough and would hurt your ears!

Hopefully you’ve noticed a bunch more interviews like this appearing recently and have enjoyed them – it’s something I’ve realised that I can now do, thanks to the march of technology. I don’t have to have exactly the right audio equipment, or studio setting, etc etc. As long as I’ve got my phone, I can basically interview anyone I can persuade to talk to me!

lister

That’s really interesting Hannah. I prefer a written interview as the time I have to listen to podcasts AND the radio AND my music AND watch ‘sick edits’ is quite limited but I can have music on and read something. WynTV’s recent pre and post  race editions have been up to 2 hours long which is hard to consume.

And STW has always had quality in the written medium (which for a magazine is really important!) so I’m glad you’re doing these interviews this way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.