Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Interesting landforms and geological features to visit by bike
  • welshfarmer

Riding along the limestone cliffs of the Worlds End escarpment is a fantastic ride, and although it is “only” a footpath if you pick your time of day, you will likely not meet another soul. It is well ridden in any case so don’t expect massive aggro.

worlds end2

mattbee

Used to ride that footpath back in the mid ‘90s when I was at uni in Wrexham.
    The Chester-Bala fault runs through that valley iirc, spent a very cold and wet day walking around with a shovel and a small bottle of acid to test the rock type. 

dovebiker

IMG_3457

Ardnamurchan is an awesome landscape – here it is looking across from the north end of Mull. The road ride from Kilchoan and along Loch Sunart through Glenborrowdale to Strontian is glorious in the right weather – the descent from the shoulder of Ben Hiant down to the distillery at Glenbeg is fantastic but an absolute swine into a westerly when heading the other way.

Does anyone know if the GlenBorrowdale – Acharacle trail goes on a bike?  that might be better than the road from Acharacle to Salen and along to Kilchoan.  @Dovebiker ?

I’ve not actually ventured that far off-road – there’s also the unresolved access issue with the locked gate at the western end.

kormoran
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the GlenBorrowdale – Acharacle trail goes on a bike? that might be better than the road from Acharacle to Salen and along to Kilchoan. @Dovebiker ?

It was a long time ago, maybe 2007 judging by my bike at the time, but it was a reasonable ride although a bit boggy/bobbly in places. I don’t recall any access issues, there was some contractors up there with machinery, sadly they were too heavy for the ancient stone culverts along the track and they had smashed a lot of them. Hopefully they have been repaired.

Edukator
    Free Member

Stanage Edge: Carboniferous millstone grit, a dirty great big delta. If you climb Guillotine/Guillotine direct you can  make holes in the back of your hand with bits of quartz gravel washed down from Scandinavia.

Ambrose

My brother’s tagline on his emails is ‘Geology, it’s time and magic’. And this is true.

StirlingCrispin

Elie Chain Walk, Fife:

(From the RSF Archive)

Screenshot 2024-06-01 08.31.05 (1)

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.