Home Forums Chat Forum Intel processor choice help needed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Intel processor choice help needed
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

It’s a long time since I bought this PC and it’s on it’s last legs. I can hear the HD clicking away to itself just like the last one did before it failed, so it’s time to get a new one. I know nothing of what is currently good or bad so need some assistance.

Had a look at Dell and they look alright but which of these is best?

IntelÆ Coreô 2 Quad-Core Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB cache, 1066MHz FSB)

IntelÆ Coreô 2 Quad-Core Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Cheers

psychle
    Free Member

I take it you’re not going to be overclocking this PC (ie fiddling with the BIOS to run the processor above it’s rating)?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

no, no overclocking needed.

psychle
    Free Member

Then I’d get the 8200 if there’s no major difference in price… 45nm chips are more energy efficient than the older 60nm ones (the 8200 is the newer of the two). Plus if you’re doing any video encoding etc than they’re much better for that as well!

Question to ask is, do you really need a Quad-core? what are you using it for?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I want it to last as long as possible. This machine is noticeably slower now but it’s 6 years old! It’s done well.

Both myself and my wife do a lot with photos, including scanned negatives so it needs to be quick. The current machine takes aaaaaaages just to scan a negative.

I also use AutoCAD.

Your help is much appreciatted.

Cheers

psychle
    Free Member

If you’re not playing with video, just doing 2D stuff, then you could probably get by with a Dual-core processor. Though if you do lots of multitasking then a quad is useful… do you work with multiple monitors with multiple applications open?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

We don’t currently use more than one monitor but it would be a nice option to have as I’ve often thougth it would be useful.

We both use many programs running at the same time, having to close others to speed one up is a pain.

We have a camcorder but I gave up editing the videos of the kids as I got impatient with the speed. That would be pretty handy to get them sorted out…

psychle
    Free Member

Then I’d still go with the 8200… if you do any video processing it’ll be very handy for that (up to 30%+ faster in fact). For general use it’ll be sitting there twiddling it’s thumbs most of the time, maybe you can sign up for this[/url] to make use of it’s idle power.

As long as there’s no major difference in cost (like anything more than £50) then the 8200 is the way to go. If the difference in cost is more… then maybe not so clear cut.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Excellent! Thanks for your help psychle, been very handy. I have now ordered it and the change from the 6600 to the 8200 ended up costing nothing! Should arrive next week some time.

Thanks again, I owe you a pint.

:D

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Intel processor choice help needed’ is closed to new replies.