Home Forums Chat Forum Insanely stupid products

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Insanely stupid products
  • NewRetroTom

I recently saw one of these
    Fire extinguisher
    Coco Chanel Fire Extinguisher

It’s made of ceramic and though it looks like a fire extinguisher it contains only air (at room pressure) and therefore is of no use for fighting fires.
    It is also branded with the logo of a fashion brand (there are also Hermes, Ferrari ones) and no permission has been sought to use the logo or royalties paid for its use.

This is wrong on so many levels – how the hell did anyone ever think it was a good idea to produce them?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I wanted to be awkward and say I’d really like one of those but in actual fact I think its a rather dangerous thing to have in your house!

johnnystorm

Ceramic?

Made from steel and covered with a high quality coating

Resprayed out of date extinguisher? Ridiculous bloody item either way.

ratherbeintobago

I bet the ‘cease and desist’ letter will be interesting.

Cougar

Oh, it says “coco.” My mistake.

desperatebicycle

“I don’t do fashion, I AM fashion” said the useless fire extinguisher, meaningfully.
    Let stupid rich people buy em I say.

cheese@4p

It seems to be working perfectly to me

zilog6128

first thought was it’s the sort of thing you get on a crappy/scam site e.g. Wish or similar, then realised they’re an actual bricks & mortar shop not too far from me 😂

some of their other stuff looks OK but yeah, that extinguisher is particularly crappy & IP infringing!!

the-muffin-man

Slapping some paint and a logo onto something that’s come to the end of it’s life then sell for ££££s to gullible people is fine with me.

Now this sort of thing is insanely stupid. Single-use landfill rubbish – just whack some bleach down now and again…

tomnavman
    Free Member

These always make me chuckle

tthew

I’ve got an old fire extinguisher in the back of my van as a tubeless inflator. It even still LOOKS like a fire extinguisher. I really must get round to painting and labelling it up for it’s current purpose.

NewRetroTom

Made from steel and covered with a high quality coating

Hmm interesting – the one I have handled is definitely ceramic, but it was a Hermes one rather than COCO Chanel.

Either way what a stupid thing.

DougD

anything by Balenciaga

Rich_s

Anyone with elderly parents or neighbours would think that logbook is a very very sensible thing indeed! Our neighbour managed to lock himself out of his brand new ipad because he forgot his PIN about 4.56 seconds after he’d entered it twice. His relatives told him to never write any passwords down, etc etc…

feed

Oh, it says “coco.” My mistake.

🙂

IHN

Anyone with elderly parents or neighbours would think that logbook is a very very sensible thing indeed!

Yeah, maybe, I suppose it depends where they keep it. Many are advertised as ‘handy to keep in your handbag’…

dmorts

This is wrong on so many levels – how the hell did anyone ever think it was a good idea to produce them?

They produce them because people will buy them. That’s how retail works. We should instead consider who would buy such a thing….

teethgrinder

Hmm interesting – the one I have handled is definitely ceramic, but it was a Hermes one rather than COCO Chanel.

Should be Evri now, Shirley?

winston
    Free Member

I would suggest that writing down your passwords in a book and hiding it is pretty safe. I know many people who have been hacked, identity stolen, been scammed etc through a password breach – literally none of them had their home broken into and the passwords stolen that way!

Admittedly i probably wouldn’t write them in a big pink book labelled PASSWORDS though……

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tea bag squeezer at Lakeland plastics

mert
    Free Member

AXXIOS stickers?

MoreCashThanDash

Are bloody excellent – no longer does MrsMC drip tea all over the worktop while scalding her fingers as she moves the teabag from mug to compost container

funkmasterp

I’m of the unpopular opinion that grated cheese, ice cubes and bottled water are in the insanely stupid products category.

Regarding password books, my FiL has one. Without it I’d spend 90% of my time unlocking devices or remembering passwords for him!

I’ll regret asking this but here goes. What’s the purpose of the not fire extinguishers in the OP? Decorative, blowing out candles?

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Mine’s still going strong after approx 10 years. It was a gift though, no way I’d have bought it.

midlifecrashes

Years ago Girls Aloud put out a single called Can’t Speak French. Nothing too insane about that, but…

Here’s the French version:

creakingdoor
    Free Member

ice cubes and bottled water

I always buy bags of ice cubes, a quid a time as I don’t have ice trays, or anywhere big enough in the freezer to balance them while they freeze.
    Bottled water is an essential in some areas. CD junior lives in London where the water is undrinkable, my parents are in N Lincolnshire where it’s also disgusting (to them).

nixie

moves the teabag from mug to compost container

Aren’t most teabags plastic derived and not compostable? Twinnings used to advertise there as being compostable but outside expensive tea that’s the only one I’ve seen. And to make it worse some that are compostable are not compostable at home.

funkmasterp

Fill a bag with water, place it where you put the bag of ice cubes. Wait until it freezes, smash it with a hammer. The water in UK toilets is of a drinking standard so unless you’re in the third world I think essential is pushing it a bit.

mattyfez

I’ll regret asking this but here goes. What’s the purpose of the not fire extinguishers in the OP? Decorative, blowing out candles?

This is the only thing old fire extinguishers should be used for:

https://www.noswizard.com/nitrous-ancillaries/nitrous-components/nitrous-bottles-brackets/largenosbottle5-11kgnitrous-texturedblack.html

Northwind

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I wanted to be awkward and say I’d really like one of those but in actual fact I think its a rather dangerous thing to have in your house!

Anyone else with a tubeless inflator made out of a fire extinguisher? Ever wondered what’ll happen if there’s a fire and a bystander finds it? Either blow the fire out or the exact opposite.

I worked at a fringe show years ago that had as one of its pyrotechnic tricks a bunch of fire-ers. A fire-er being a fire extinguisher, with the extinguish removed. Big red cans of pressurised paraffin (IIRC) and a little pilot light that could throw fire across the whole stage, while still looking pretty much exactly like a normal fire extinguisher. The risk assessment was kind of long, especially since it was definitely a show where people were reasonably likely to go on fire and have to be extinguished and definitely not -ered.

jambourgie
    Free Member

FOR SALE

Orange Bigger. Makes oranges bigger. Satumas 4ft, Sevilles 8ft. Also available, cheese greater.

dmorts

These
    socket covers

Here’s why

mattyfez

Also available, cheese greater.

image host

snotrag

@dmorts I (an Engineer) once went on a training course and at the end had to put together a session to teach all the other (not remotely technically minded) attendees something. I did a whole presentation on the BS1363 plug standard and the horror that is those plug covers. It actually went down really well!

matt_outandabout

Any lip fillers, injections and plastic surgery. 🤷‍♂️

Those multiple outside downlighters, so the rest of the street can admire your 1980’s Barrat home at night.

ratherbeintobago

@nixie I think the problem is that a lot of teabags have plastic sealing the two layers of paper together. Most tea brands are meant to be moving to compostable alternatives though…

funkmasterp

Lighting up the outside of a house just seems mental to me. You live on the inside and nobody else gives a shit about your house.

roger_mellie

Those multiple outside downlighters, so the rest of the street can admire your 1980’s Barrat home at night.

Someone near us has installed those uppy downy lights at first floor level. None at ground level. “Look at my first floor windows!”.

Cougar

I’m of the unpopular opinion that grated cheese, ice cubes and bottled water are in the insanely stupid products category.

A big bag of ice cubes is difficult to make quickly at quantity. With you on the other two though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.