Home Forums Chat Forum Inflatable kayak or SUP?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Inflatable kayak or SUP?
  • tonyd

How does this work? Do you get home from work and tell your kids to “get off that console and on that SUP NOW!”

It’s more like ‘what do you want to do on holiday?’ ‘how about we go SUPing then MTBing and then sailing looks cool can we try it?’ rather than ‘ugh I hate camping holidays now give me my tablet’.

And when they get older they might go ‘ah yeah I used to SUP when I was a kid, so I think I might enjoy XYZ’ whatever is on offer, rather than ‘ooh I don’t do stuff like that’

Yep, that. Plus “It’s going to be nice this weekend, let’s go and splash about in the lake” seems to go down well. Means when they get up on Saturday morning they’re pulling their swimmers on instead of running for an Xbox controller.

Twodogs

Never forget if the winds heavy and your finding it hard going on the sup

Sit down. You are the majority of the windage

this is true..but it’s much harder to paddle sitting down

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you get little battery powered outboard motors for these things for 10 mins of extra power? If not, why not?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just went to book center parcs for September weekend, and it’s fully booked, talked the wife into buying a SUP instead. 😉

*Trots off to Decathlon website*

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can you get little battery powered outboard motors for these things for 10 mins of extra power? If not, why not?

Do you have Google in South Wales? If not why not?

jimdubleyou

You might need to work out how to attach it, but yeah, you can…

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/classic-30-lbs-electric-motor/_/R-p-314437?

chriscubed

A usual, I think there isn’t one thing that does it all

If you’re playing on the beach in waves and just beyond, even small waves, get the a SUP because an inflatable kayak will take on water and tip you out (always seems worse being tipped out of a kayak than being tipped off a SUP), the SUP gives you more chance of enjoying the waves

If you want to cover distance over sea then probably the kayak, but get one as sturdy as budget allows, lighter inflatables don’t track well and get affected by wind and current more easily. Have you considered a sit on top kayak as a better option if you really want to explore coves. I bought a bic ouassou for a combination of playing with a bit of exploring

In both cases, wetsuits needed, if buying anything inflatable watch out for offshore winds it’s amazing how quickly you can be off over the horizon

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Watching this as am thinking of getting a kayak or similar. Live very very inland but by the Thames.

Hired a kayak for an afternoon on the canal – admittedly not an inflatable, but the idea is to hire a canoe in a week or two and compare how the two feel.

People are right about non-inflatable kayaks being just drop in and go, but I don’t fancy getting one on top of the car (not v tall or strong) and a two person kayak would be … quite big. Whereas an inflatable would go in the boot, even a two person one – could take friends out, do a little bit of camping etc. Ofc there is all the faff with drying.

Gumotex do an inflatable canoe I see, so I have gone from “cheap arse blowup kayak” to maybe something more…

The kayaking was ok though so we’ll see how the canoeing goes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any reason to go for a decathlon itwit over an aqua marina? Decent package price for AM.

big_scot_nanny

we’ve got an Itwit (small one though), neighbours have AM. AM seems quite a bit better.

EDIT: pictures of fush to follow! :-)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guid, that’s pretty much my whole reason for ‘wanting one for the bairn’ 😉🤣

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable kayak or SUP?’ is closed to new replies.