Home Forums Chat Forum Inflatable kayak or SUP?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Inflatable kayak or SUP?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t decide. We’re talking entry level just above mucking about stage. I want to try and encourage and inspire the kids to do interesting things, and they like watersports generally – at least my oldest does. Kayaks available from Decathlon for £300, SUPs for £350, but all the gubbins is extra of course.

What do you actually do with these things other than just paddle up and down the beach? We’re heading to Pembrokeshire again, so there’s likely to be little coves and stuff, but not really sure how much exploring you can do with an inflatable anything.

Obviously safety is a top concern, we are all very risk averse and there will be lots of research and planning regarding currents and winds etc as always.

Kayaks:
    – 2 up, so an adult can take a kid
    – My wife can handle a kayak, meaning in theory if we had two we could do more
    – You just sit there, so if you aren’t able to properly explore the coast then there’s nothing really to do is there?

SUPs:
    – More of a challenge to simply stand and paddle on, so might provide more entertainment without having to go anywhere
    – Can be simply played with, jumped off etc
    – Not sure my wife would do it
    – 1 up, aren’t they? So if we bought two it would probably be just me and my eldest, although my youngest at 8 is probably small enough to sit on the front?

Either would give us stuff to do when there are no waves or there’s no break for surfing on, and might take us to beaches we wouldn’t otherwise go.

matt_outandabout

What do you actually do with these things other than just paddle up and down the beach? We’re heading to Pembrokeshire again, so there’s likely to be little coves and stuff, but not really sure how much exploring you can do with an inflatable anything.

This being the challenge of both the craft you mention, plus a lack of experience and skills.

We were on Loch Lomond on Sunday. A good many paddlers out on every type of craft that can be dragged out and put on the water.

It was noticeable how may lacked skills (no matter how basic a craft or uber posh 18-foot carbonz touring canoe they had!), even more how many of the SUP/inflatable/SOT’s basically go and do a lap of the nearest island, moorings or next along beach, if that. To be fair, it is a big adventure and a lovely spot. I would rather people cautious than get into trouble.

We meanwhile in our 16′ canoe with skills and knowledge did a lap of a load of islands, travelled about 14km through the day, visited some empty beaches on the islands, watched ospreys feed their chicks etc.

The joy of paddling for me is to travel – and you can do some big old trips on SUP or inflatables, but you need skills and knowledge to do so, particularly on sea, moving water or big inland water.

EDIT: as ever the choice of craft has a fundamental influence over where you can paddle. Your skills and knowledge can vastly extend where you can then paddle.

Currently, SUP is ‘in’ and inflatables or SUP suit many that lack storage space for a full boat.

thebunk

SUP kayak transformer?

I distrust any floating vessel, especially ones you have to inflate and power yourself, so don’t listen to me.

5plusn8
    Free Member

We had an inflatable kayak from Go outdoors, was great fun, but like paddling a super tanker, they are very slow. We have a couple of SUPs, the are quicker much, but obviously harder to carry stuff on or in due to lack of splash protection.

boxelder

We sold the kayak and bought a SUP, Now have 2 SUPs. Inflatable kayaks are a nightmare in wind and slow at the best of times – makes it boring.
    SUPs you can kneel to paddle, but standing up, you see much more in the water. More fun for jumping off. Get a bigger one and you can take an adult plus a child. Our 10’6″ SUPs can take two.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can buy a frankly massive SUP for 10+ people, but not for £350. But a large one will comfortably take a small to average sized adult and kid.

SUPs are hard work in any sort of (5mph is hard work, 10mph and forward progress requires superhuman efforts). Ditto waves (obviously you can get surf specific SUPs but thats a different kettle of fish).

Standing up isn’t in itself a challenge, I bought one of the Lidl ones, inflated it, pushed off the beach and stood straight up. It’s not difficult. Ive only fallen in once whilst dicking about.

Touring/exploring on a SUP is possible, but it’s harder work than a kayak as you can’t just stop and take a rest (well you can sit down for a rest, but you’ll drift quicker).

To give a non-water analogy. Kayaking is like cycling, there’s variations from touring to downhill/white water but it’s mostly about the route and the trail. SUP is like going for a hike, you spend more time looking at the view.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I want a sit on top double kayak (which we often hire )but storing it and transporting it’s a pain.

My experiance with inflatable kayaks has been woeful due to wind and longevity

We ended up with a sup with a seat.

It’s largely for me and my daughter paddling out with my wife on her open water swims.

As per Tina’s. Inflate push out jump on stand up not nearly as hard as it looks to get up right. To get paddling efficient and with control is the skill see plenty folk out there going round in circles or who have no awareness of wind/current direction

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s definitely a knack with SUPs like all watercraft (and bikes) you need to be moving to get stability, once you’re moving, the fins start generating lift and thus straight line stability. A few timid paddles sends you in circles, a few good hard pushes to get moving before switching sides and it’ll stay straight for quite a while.

There’s a lot of snobbery arround SUPs as they’re the fashionable beach accessory. Both from people with canoes/kayaks, and people who’ve perhapse had a SUP since before you could buy it for £200 in the supermarket.

And fishermen are even more arsey than ramblers.

poly
    Free Member

It was noticeable how may lacked skills (no matter how basic a craft or uber posh 18-foot carbonz touring canoe they had!), even more how many of the SUP/inflatable/SOT’s basically go and do a lap of the nearest island, moorings or next along beach, if that. To be fair, it is a big adventure and a lovely spot. I would rather people cautious than get into trouble.

Presumably, most people who have skills know that L.L. on a sunny weekend, especially at the moment, is going to be busy and choose to go somewhere else?

We had an inflatable kayak from Go outdoors, was great fun, but like paddling a super tanker, they are very slow. We have a couple of SUPs, the are quicker much

I’m surprised the SUP is much quicker than the kayak. I’ve never used an inflatable kayak but certainly, my SOT Kayak’s quicker than the iSUP. I’m not sure why you don’t think your wife will like the SUP unless she’s a kayaking purist – in which case you should probably have the discussion with her.

Obviously safety is a top concern, we are all very risk averse and there will be lots of research and planning regarding currents and winds etc as always.

Can you hire to start with? Even better with a coach or guide. The balance thing on the SUP isn’t really a huge learning curve – it certainly isn’t going to be providing “interest” just staying on it after the first weekend. You can take little people on the front or even get giant family boards, but that will constrain your use quite a bit. Kids do enjoy jumping off them etc – but all kids are different, and others will much prefer to go somewhere. On the other hand if you surf and learn how a SUP could be a great addition.

Does it need to be inflatable? If you have roof bars and suitable storage a sit on top kayak can provide a slightly different dynamic. Don’t underestimate the space they will take up in the car – 2 sups + wetsuits, towels, bouyancy aids, pump, etc doesn’t leave much space a Karoq (with seats up). Don’t underestimate the hassle of inflating / packing away etc. I’m guessing 50% of iSUPs get used for one holiday a year.

but obviously harder to carry stuff on or in due to lack of splash protection.

Most entry level SUPs have some bungees at the front that will take a dry bag, so you can carry lunch etc. As Matt was alluding to with some training that transforms a short trip from the beach into a proper mini adventure – you don’t even need to go as far as he does, just to the next bay etc – but being out of sight of your launch point / car makes it feel different, and usually means you have escaped the masses. Its like the difference between riding a lap of your local MTB trail and taking the bike for picnic – they need different skills, planning etc and both are fun but one potentially more memorable.

tonyd

I recently bought two SUPs for much the same reason – wanted to encourage the kids to get away from consoles and experience some real life fun stuff. Went with SUPs as they are more fun for what we want, you can 2-up so one adult one child. I often take one and my two boys take the other, once in the middle of the lake I confiscate their paddle and they spend the afternoon wrestling each other off the board.

It’s a very safe environment without feeling safe to them, so builds confidence and gets them swimming more than they would usually. We’ve not been on the sea with them yet, I’d be a lot more careful there and would likely tie theirs to mine til I knew they were confident/safe – mainly because if they got caught by a gust or rip I don’t know if I could catch them whereas I’d be more comfortable in a kayak.

Summary – if you want to do what Matt does you probably want a canoe, but for short explorations and generally arsing about I’d go SUP.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should add my eldest weighs more than many adults I know, and more than a fair few of you so she counts as an adult from that standpoint.

Re kayaking I did a few trips and expeditions as a kid, I’m confident handling one. Obviously I’d prefer a rigid sea kayak but that’s out of the question due to size and transport. If inflatables are much more barge like it might be a disappointment.

Can you hire to start with? Even better with a coach or guide.

To what end? We already know we like mucking about on water and stuff.

What’s actually possible on these things in West Wales?

molgrips
    Free Member

The Decathlon board says max load 320kg. Of course that’s the max physical load and not the weight you can happily paddle around in, but it sounds like it won’t break with two of us on it.

IdleJon
    Free Member

wanted to encourage the kids to get away from consoles and experience some real life fun stuff

How does this work? Do you get home from work and tell your kids to “get off that console and on that SUP NOW!” :D

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d say SUPs are limited to flat water with little/no wind. Anything else and it gets difficult very quickly*. So really you’re looking for very sheltered bays/coves, canals, and estuaries.

It’s great fun, but you have to pick the location carefully, or go windsurfing if it’s breezy.

*yes there’s the round the island race at Sheppy, but those guys are crazy fit and still need carrying up the slipway afterwards.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

SUPs are good. On Monday morning I did three hours on Loch Lomond covering about 11k. Supplies in a Lomo drybag. And room to lash some litter on top.

Once you get past the mucking about stage there is a lot to learn about wind and tides and paddling technique. Not the most efficient craft for a tour but I enjoy it. A woman called Cal Major is paddling one round Britain as we speak. There is a GB SUP racing series. There’s loads more than doddering around at the beach (which is also fun).

Pieface

I bought the cheap Decathlon inflatable canoe and took it on the sea a few weeks ago, and after all the doom-mongering threads on here was pleasantly surprised at how fast and manouvarable it actually was, and I didn’t get blown out to sea in the slightest breeze. Its a stop-gap until we either get a proper plastic canoe or go to SUPs (need 2 so more expensive). You can surf it in the waves but it fills up with water so needs emptying (unlike a SUP or sit on top) but you can leave it in the car so is very versatile.

Ideally I’d have both but I think that for general ability to get out and about the canoe is probably more versatile than a SUP, however I was already reasonably competent in canoe / kayaks.

matt_outandabout

Presumably, most people who have skills know that L.L. on a sunny weekend, especially at the moment, is going to be busy and choose to go somewhere else?

Indeed – we were out to see the Sea Eagle and knew how to get away from the crowds.

I would also suggest the newcomers to paddling don’t know the variety of launching points and places there are.

geomickb

SUP, those half-inflated kayaks are horrific. Yes I can SUP faster.

12 foot with a pointy nose unless you are surfing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d like a plastic sit one to fish from, but they’re like hens teeth ATM.

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the decathlon 2 man inflatable kayaks & looking at a sup next – the kayak is great for taking the wee one for a spin round the loch but it hasn’t seen much other action tbh, an inflatable sup would be half the weight so would be a bit more portable & quicker to inflate / deflate for a quick hour out, would probably leave it in the car just in case whereas the kayak required a bit more forethought as to where you’re parking etc.

While i’m here anyone have any recommendations for a budget-ish sup (11ft probably)

poly
    Free Member

Can you hire to start with? Even better with a coach or guide.

To what end? We already know we like mucking about on water and stuff.

Because:

1. You don’t know which you want, so try both and see before you buy and then rarely use it.
    2. You don’t seem to know what the options are for using one other than as a beach toy. A guide will help you understand that and also impart some knowledge so you have the skills/experience to make those judgements yourself.
    3. You said you didn’t think your missus would go on the SUP. Everyone I know that’s tried a sup has enjoyed it; some enough to buy others will say “I prefer …. instead”
    4. You’ll get a better idea of the physical effort required to move these any distance – its possible to go big trips, but actually also quite demanding so beach toy might be sensible.

I don’t know West Wales – but I’ll be staggered if there isn’t someone running beginners SUP sessions. Inflatable Kayak hire is less likely (perhaps that’s a sign?) but Sit-on-top seem to be readily available at most major tourist locations where it would be sensible to do it.

Its a bit like when someone says to you, “I’d like to buy a bike, which type should I get” (and I’m sure everyone here has had that question). Sometimes its obvious, sometimes they should hire a few options, and sometimes they will hire and realise its just more clutter and hire once a year.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but I’ll be staggered if there isn’t someone running beginners SUP sessions. Inflatable Kayak hire is less likely (perhaps that’s a sign?) but Sit-on-top seem to be readily available at most major tourist locations where it would be sensible to do it.

Probably down to most all round SUPs being inflatable, and most beginner kayaks being sit on top? Once you’ve taken transport out of the equation by hireing at the point of use is there any need for an inflatable canoe?

trail_rat
    Free Member

While i’m here anyone have any recommendations for a budget-ish sup (11ft probably)

we got an aquaplanet for no other reason than it was at budget , instock(dont underestimate this part) – pointy and long for the money.

Seems ok.

As for it just being a pootling thing – theres a good blog by a guy on a SUP who SUP down loch tay – which in its self is a fair distance to SUP best part of 15 miles …. then you find out he is actually effectively blind making it quite an incredible achievement on a SUP

mcj78
    Free Member

Cheers, will have a look – a lot of the “budget” sups look suspiciously similar & I see what you mean about the stock issue, looks like a load of pre-orders coming from the same factory with different graphics

big_scot_nanny

Hiya!

it is a good idea to go somewhere that you can have a play in as many as possible. We did that and it really helped.

We’ve been on a similar journey. Generally, we’ve found that SUP is really good fun, more flexible in usage, and liked by all the family (except me!). Scottish lochs is most usage, either mucking about with other friends/kids, or a bit of touring to other beaches/islands and having. brew/lunch, see new wildlife etc – bit as Matt describes. We have 3 now.

In sheltered coastal areas, can be a stunning way to get about (check tides and weather), even more fun than lochs, but feels a much less ‘controlled’ environment = exciting!

Our youngest prefers a kayak, we had an intex job that split (got refund) so ended up with a small rigid sit on top that she loves (in fact, the bigger kids do too).

I do not like SUP, do love being on the water, hated how crap the packraft is for open water and in any breeze, used a dropstich inflatable kayak for a few months – good, but performance in wind and the very high sides were just too annoying, so have recently ended up with a RTM Tempo Angler sit on top. Its amazing! So fast, so comfortable, huge fun. On lochs its awesome, on the coast in choppy water it really comes to life. amazing. Fishing from it off Inverkip is a hoot. I’ve got none of the fancy kit, but its great to stick a rod in the holder and paddle off to a good spot for a bit of spinning.

We have storage space, but getting it on, and off, the top of a T6 is… interesting! **** me that is hard work. Tis really nice just to hoik it straight into the water, and back out again. the lack of faff compared to inflatables is really quite nice.

(nobeer – correct, not many available. When I was in Peebles 3 weeks ago, happened to see a pair (!) of v lightly RTM tempo anglers for sale locally on FB marketplace, took a diversion one evening and bought one)

molgrips
    Free Member

How does this work? Do you get home from work and tell your kids to “get off that console and on that SUP NOW!”

It’s more like ‘what do you want to do on holiday?’ ‘how about we go SUPing then MTBing and then sailing looks cool can we try it?’ rather than ‘ugh I hate camping holidays now give me my tablet’.

And when they get older they might go ‘ah yeah I used to SUP when I was a kid, so I think I might enjoy XYZ’ whatever is on offer, rather than ‘ooh I don’t do stuff like that’

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPvuaO_BSYN/?utm_medium=copy_link

If this works……then yeah this is why.

I didn’t want a sup but seeing how well it worked for us as a family changed my mind….as well as how easy to store.

matt_outandabout

Once you’ve taken transport out of the equation by hireing at the point of use is there any need for an inflatable canoe?

Only if you are going to paddle more than a few times a year. Costs do add up – but boat buying is pricey, and I think the second hand market for inflatables or SUP’s is weaker due to the lower cost of entry comparted to rigid plastic kayaks and canoes.

We have had both our boats nearly a decade – and both get used regularly, including longer tours, and they are currently worth what we paid for them… It has saved a lot.

If however you have a weekend a year and a couple of holiday days, I would consider hiring instead.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m surprised the SUP is much quicker than the kayak. I’ve never used an inflatable kayak but certainly, my SOT Kayak’s quicker than the iSUP

I was out on the canal with two friends, all of us in full size sea kayaks, and a guy we didn’t know on a rigid pointy SUP was faster than us. I think he was probably race training, while we just fast cruising (6 or 7 kph at a guess).

holmesy
    Free Member

We got a SUP about two years ago – was a bit of an experiment and has worked out well. Good fun for mucking about with the kids at beach, also good for a bit of adventure/exercise, good challenge if there is a bit of chop about.

jimdubleyou

We’ve hired kayaks a few times but for our last camping trip we decided to go all in and buy an X100 (dropstitch floor) kayak from decathlon.

We live near the Thames and it’s been good fun.

We’ve been out with other people’s kids (we don’t have our own), for a drop in paddle to pub /lunch/ paddle back and even been out on my own a couple of times.

Doesn’t track as well as a SOT but doesn’t seem too badly affected by the wind.

Did consider a SOT, but no room to store it. Sectional ones are more than we wanted to spend.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@big_scot_nanny let’s see some of yer catches then! 😋

fenboy

we’ve actually just bought a decathlon SUP tonight, an 11ft beginners one… we have a nice calm bay nr the house and loads of folk head out so thought we’d join in and for the kids too as mentioned above. I’d really like a sea kayak but bikes take up most of my limited free time so this felt like a good compromise plus the missus paid!

Also should get here in time for holidays to kippford next week, so while i go trail centring the wife and kids can amuse themselves with riptides and jellyfish….. just off to watch Jaws again!

uwe-r
    Free Member

A SUP is quite a specialist thing in that you really need to stand on it and it requires a certain level of fitness. It also works well in zero wind but as soon as there is wind or current then it can be quite an effort to combat that force. For that reason you either need to stay close to where you started or need to know what you are doing and have some fitness. An inflatable kayak is much the same but with 1 or 2 people paddling it takes less strength / stamina to make headway. So a Kayak will get you a bit further and with more options around who / what to take.

Anything not inflatable is massively better and we have moved on to sit on kayaks. Ugly / heavy things but great in the water and not much skill or fitness required to do long distance paddling. Full size sea kayaks or open canoes are the ultimate but storage and transport issues become more and more prevalent as you move up the food chain.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Nice things about SUP.
    The kids 10 & 11 can carry it to the water.
    It goes in the boot
    You can carry it to the beach from the car easily.
    When you are arseing about with the kids it is softer when you fall on it it get hit by it
    In waves (small ones) it is less of a problem when it all goes wrong. it’s not nice having a rigid sot washing in on top of you.

We have also got a SOT and a open canoe.
    The SOT is better if you want to go further in the sea but not as good for mucking about with a few people. Haven’t used the canoe for years getting it out next week for a play on the Wye I think.

molgrips
    Free Member

Would you paddle down say, the Thames, in one of those cheap inflatables? Non-drop-stitch

andydt82

I’ve recently bought a 10′ inflatable kayak, and after a play about at the weekend I’m pretty impressed. Sure it isn’t as fast as a rigid kayak, and the width makes a high angle paddling style like I’d usually use difficult. But it’s stable, manouverable, not too slow, and I was less affected by the wind than my wife in her 14′ canoe.
    The biggest pain has been drying it!

nickscots1
    Free Member

Splashproof – get some drybags.

Twodogs

If you’re thinking of coastal trips (paddling from bay to bay) on an inflatable SUP you need to be really sure the weather isn’t going to change. They have a lot of windage and even on my short rigid surfing SUP it gets noticeably harder to make progress in anything other than light wind. Add to that chop (you get tired really quickly getting back on after you fall off), and tides…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never forget if the winds heavy and your finding it hard going on the sup

Sit down. You are the majority of the windage

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable kayak or SUP?’ is closed to new replies.