Home Forums Bike Forum Improve on Rev fork without charger damper

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Improve on Rev fork without charger damper
  • asbrooks

Hi all, so while I’m waiting on a new airspring for my Lyriks I’ve been riding my Solaris which has a set of relatively new RS Revelation fork.

The ride is so spikey, that my shoulders are taking a pounding, but I know that’s due to the motion control damper. My intention was/ and still is always to swap it for a charger damper at some point when funds allowed. But as I’m always splashing on the kids, wife and components for the other bike, that some point has never arrived.

So question, are there cheaper options to improve the ride? I’ll be riding the Solaris more over the coming winter so would like to improve the ride.

Thanks

mashr

Novyparts Splug does a lot of what you need for less than a Charger (Google translate required)

https://www.novyparts.com/produits-novyparts-suspensions-vtt/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique.html

mjsmke

Motion control dampers are harsh and only really work for heavier riders. Even then, they’re still a very basic damper. You could put a lighter oil in to take the harshness away but it will go through its travel more easily.

cx_monkey

Fast Suspension have the UP compression damper on sale at the moment. Its a three way damper too so you can build in more mid-stroke support – which is entirely why I went for one a year or so ago.

asbrooks

Thanks for the suggestions so far but I’m trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

Looking on the BikeINN site thay have a charger 2.1 RCT3 for what it says for Pike 27.5 Boost set. For a very good price. I was under the impression that the damper is interchangeable between the wheel sizes. I’ll email them to check.

Thanks

bens
    Free Member

The only cheap way is lighter oil as already mentioned above. Might be a bit hit and miss and take a bit of experimenting to get it right. Ultimately, the fix is a different damper.

I put the Fast Up! Damper in mine and was amazed at the difference. This was Covid era though and the only Charger I could find was £400 so it made the Up! seem better value I guess.

I’d guess now, a used Pike is probably the same cost as a new damper? You could buy a Pike and sell your Rev to recoup some of the cost.

hardtailonly

I’m in the same boat, bought a cheap Rev MoCo in the Chiggle fire sale late last year, and find it pretty harsh. I do run it at a slightly lower pressure, with the rebound quite slow, but find my hands and arms feel totally pumelled after even an hour or so of techy XC.

bens
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s basically the same problem I had (and everyone else has).

Trouble is, you drop the air pressure to compensate for the damper feeling harsh and you end up with a fork that’s way to soft in the mid stroke. You run into the harsh ramp up at the end of the stroke all the time which adds to the harshness overall.

Even once I’d sorted the damper for something with actual support, although it rode a million times better, it still didn’t really fix everything. I realised that the air spring was a bit rubbish too. For me, it needed more negative volume which I guess is why things like Luftkappe and Secus are so popular.

Having given up and bought a Mezzer, I have no experience beyond the C1 airspring so maybe (hopefully) things have improved…

tuboflard

Novy Splug and Trutune token on my Revelations, granted not particularly cheap but fork came with the bike and didn’t want to swap out the whole fork at the time. It’s as good as my Pike on another bike if not slightly better now with the Trutune in.

asbrooks

After downloading the Trailhead app, it seams that part number 00.4020.169.003 charger 2.1 RCT3 will fit and I’ve seen a few on various European sites for not a lot of money.

But I’ve seen a few threads saying that the RCT3 is not much of an upgrade for not having high speed compression. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks

dirkpitt74

The FAST UP damper is what you’re looking for.

Works out around 200 euro’s delivered if you order direct from FAST – although be prepared to wait a couple of weeks for it to land.

Or if you want it quicker you can get it from TF Tuned for £230.

bens
    Free Member

RCT3 will still have high speed damping, it’s just not externally adjustable.

It may be a more basic version of the Charger but It’ll be far better than what you’ve got.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If there is an RC3 option, it’s better than the RCT3. The RCT3 has a stiffer compression tune just to facilitate the lock out function. If you don’t want the lock out, RC3 is better.

Another thing to consider is an air spring service.

Also, check the bushing clearance. Poor clearance has spoiled more suspension forks then enough.

Tracey

I fitted a Pike RC2 charger damper into my  Revelations after advice on here and it transformed them.

This is on Pinkbike at a decent price if it will fit

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3750538/

ajantom

After downloading the Trailhead app, it seams that part number 00.4020.169.003 charger 2.1 RCT3 will fit and I’ve seen a few on various European sites for not a lot of money

Bikeinn have the 27.5 Boost version for £110 posted, which is an amazing deal if it fits your fork.

asbrooks

I’ve ordered the one from BikeINN, from what I’ve read it’ll fit. It’s probably the best option for the money.
    The forks were new last November, I swapped the airshaft for a 140mm travel one. The bushes seemed to me to ok, in terms that the lowers  slid down under their own weight. As usual though there was no oil in the lowers and the foam rings were dry.
    They haven’t been used that much as I’ve been riding my Bird AM9, so more used to the plushness of Lyriks. The Bird is off the road atm as I’m waiting on a new airshaft. As Murphy’s law dictates both will arrive at the same time ?

ajantom

FYI, I also ordered the Charger 2.1 Rct3 from Bikeinn for £110.

Very easy to fit – 15 minute job – with very simple tools (cassette tool, 24mm socket, 2 & 5mm Allen keys).

I only had 5w fork oil, not 0w, but I’m sure it’ll be fine :-)

Looking forward to giving my ‘new’ forks a good thrashing asap.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.