• This topic has 311 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 312 total)
  • I'm in Manchester next week – what's worth checking out in the evening?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, it seems there’s nobody skilled (or cheap, more likely) enough in Manchester to do what needs doing next week so I’m on my way up on Sunday evening and spending the week flooring. 😐 Unfortunately, I’ll be sans bike.

Will be staying fairly central. Any good curry houses worth checking out? Decent pubs where I can try out some northish ales? What’s the name of the chin-stroker cinema there? Ive always wanted to visit so might take in a suitably chin-stroking film.

I’d ask if anyone was up for a beer but I fear I’d be setting myself up to be disappointed by noone wanting one. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Northern Quarter has nice bars if you can handle the hipster vibes 🙂 Common does nice food.

If you want a proper old school boozer this place is cool (not been for a few years though) – http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/peveril-of-the-peak-manchester

Cornerhouse is the cinema I think you’re referring to.

nbt

Cornerhouse is the chinstroker cinema, next to Oxford Road station. Loads of good pubs – you have any idea where you’re staying? Binners might be a better bet for recommending specific pubs and eating establishments, my fave is Chaophraya which is Thai (and not cheap either)

if you bring riding gear you can stoke the tandem if you want an experience 😉

Edit – busy monday (warren miller film tour at Didsbury) and Wednesday, but beers on thursday might be a goer

bikebouy
    Free Member

Go and see where the IRA blew up the street.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll try living with the hipsters grum. I’ll bring my skinny chinos. 🙂

Cornerhouse! That’s the one thanks.

What’s the Common? Pub? Restaurant?

Go and see where the IRA blew up the street.

😕

Cougar

Do you like whisky? You need to visit The Briton’s Protection if so.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@nbt, what’s that film tour about then?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not a big fan Cougar, worth a visit though for a non-whisk(e)y-er?

hora
    Free Member

Don’t ask binners about curry. Bless him 8)

Flaperon

Head out along Oxford Road towards Rusholme for the best curry.

Cougar

worth a visit though for a non-whisk(e)y-er?

It’s their USP, really. They have an incredible selection. Whisky aside, it’s a decent little pub, but probably not worth a special trip.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, Fairynuff.

nbt

Common’s a bar, so neither pub nor restaurant. The Chophouses are nice pubs – Sam’s Chophouse or Thomas’s Chophouse. Cask near MOSI has an extensive selection of bottled beers and a decent selection of beers on draught.

Oh, how did I forget to mention The City Arms on Kennedy Street – 8 taps, a different one on each, when the barrel is done a different one goes on. You might get 12 different beers in a single night.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Evening beers – Peveril of the Peak & Britons Protection & Rain bar if you want something authentic (and all 3 are close to each other), Corbieres (it’s down some stairs) off the side of St Annes Square & The Temple on Oxford Street (it’s also down some stairs, used to be a public convenience – good sounds usually) are both interesting and then there’s the Northern Quarter if you fancy something overpriced.

Sanam sweethouse on Wilmslow Road in Rusholme is, IMO, the best curry in Rusholme so is deffo worth a trip. I believe the Rajdoot on Albert Square is also a good curry but I’ve never been.

The Cornerhouse is brilliant & does decent food and beer – they do a ‘Reel deal’ one night of the week, Tues I think, so you can have Pizza, drink and film for £12.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Best pubs are:

Bar Fringe on Ancoats,
    The Smithfield on Ancoats,
    The Crown and Kettle on Ancoats,
    The Castle on Oldham Street,
    The Marble Arch on Rochdale Road (Great and worth the 10 minute walk)

And a newish poncy bar, but sells great ale: The Port Street Beer House:

Home

Also, Knott Bar is worth checking out opposite Deansgate station, decent grub there too. The Peveril is ok, as is the Britons Protection if you can get a seat.

Edit: as nbt says, the City is great too.

nbt

Hora, don’t even go there, no curry is worth driving from manchester to chuffing huddersfield

Deadly – http://warrenmiller.co.uk/ for more details. Parrs wood is right outside East Didsbury station if you fancy it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pizza, drink and film for £12?? I’m all over that. 🙂

binners

Oi! What’s up with my curry recommendations? Its worth going to Rusholme just for a wander down the mile.

There are loads of decent pubs in the centre. I like Sand Bar on Oxford Road, The Knott and Cask in Castlefield. Northern Quarter is all good. You could see if there any decent gigs on at say the Deaf Institute.

I’m sure a few of us could arrange to meet up one night and give you a bit of a tour> you can meet Hora. He is real. Honest!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Has nobody realised yet that the “curry mile” long since lost its bite. There are many, many superior curry houses to those found in Rusholme.

nbt

Has nobody realised yet that the “curry mile” long since lost its bite. There are many, many superior curry houses to those found in Rusholme.

QFT, bro. Jai Khatmandu in Northenden’s my fave

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binbins, that would be awesome to put faces to some of the names. Added bonus would be mrs deadly thinking how weird it would be. 🙂 Just need to see how my responses from CouplesSeekingMales are going on Adult Friend Finder. I imagine my week will be free though. 🙂

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yeah Derek, Rusholme is generally poor but there is its ‘spectacle’ and there are at least 2 good places left to eat, Sanam and Punjab Tandoori.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

you can meet Hora. He is real. Honest!

That would make my YEAR!!!

sefton
    Free Member

I’ve been told by quite a few that east is east (there two in the center) is the best curry in all Manchester (not cheap though)

heard that the khatmandu is awesome too

allthepies
    Free Member

Just need to see how my responses from CouplesSeekingMales are going on Adult Friend Finder.

Hora and Binners might be game ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

allthepies 😆

grum
    Free Member

That would make my YEAR!!!

Get him to bring a selection of his broken forks so we can all find out if there was actually anything wrong with any of them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any punts on a good night for the “Introduce DD to Manchester Tour” binners?

(I say that like I’ve never been. I actually think it’s a great town.)

binners

Well Wednesday or Thursday would be good for me.

Shall we get badges

if we start a thread now, the bickering about venues could last until next week 😀

nbt

Thursday’s ok by me

if we start a thread now, the bickering about venues could last until next week

No it wouldn’t!

(see what I did there?! 😆 )

Bregante

(I say that like I’ve never been. I actually think it’s a great town city).

FTFY 😉

I could also be tempted into a beer early next week 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thursday would be cool for me. Ties in with nbt’s earlier punt. Where’s Junkyard?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bregante, I always use the term “town” in this context. Not meaning to sound demeaning to a magnificent city such as Manchester with awesome football teams, great shopping and really friendly locals that like taking a stranger out for a few beers. 🙂

Bregante

Shame if it is Thursday, working til midnight 😐

Although if any of you can’t take your ale, we might just run into each other 😆

binners

Looks like Thursdays a winner then. Now to decide a venue. What’s the priority? Transport links? Comfy sofas? Good beer? Proper music? Proximity to curry house? Proximity to Horas cottaging hot-spots?

All the above? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My priorities are:

Cottaging avec ‘ora.
    Music.
    Curry.

nbt

I’ll be getting the train in to Piccadilly from work, be in That Manchester around 5.45.

binners

Just checking out the options. How **** does this look?

chin-strokers welcome

The Deaf Institute is bloody great though. And there’s good bars nearby and its a couple of minutes on’t bus from the curry mile

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That looks awesome binners. Lovin dat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 312 total)

The topic ‘I'm in Manchester next week – what's worth checking out in the evening?’ is closed to new replies.