• This topic has 311 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 312 total)
  • I'm in Manchester next week – what's worth checking out in the evening?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ah Gullivers Pub.

binners

Derek. The Castle now appears to have been colonised by the Mumford and Sons appreciation society. Lots of facial hair, waistcoats and ironically worn flat caps at jaunty angles. Very Northern Quarter!

RustySpanner

I used to really like the Hare & Hounds a few years ago when Maxine had it.

Gone a bit downhill since, now run by the bloke who had the Black Bull on the corner of Blackfiars St and Chapel St – different crowd.

Never liked the Castle, always had an air of desperation.

Crown and Kettle on Great Ancoats St is nice. Anyone remember the Dancing Weasel a bit further down, or the old Army Surplus radio shop round the corner on Oldham Road?

hora
    Free Member

Rusty. I drank there circa 04-06.

RustySpanner

Which one Hora, the Hare & Hounds?
    I genuinely liked the place – friendly and unpretentious.

Didn’t they used to film Cracker in there as well?

Harry_the_Spider

The Castle now appears to have been colonised by the Mumford and Sons appreciation society. Lots of facial hair, waistcoats and ironically worn flat caps at jaunty angles.

Fixies outside? 🙄

I like The Rising Sun and The Town Hall Tavern. Proper no-nonsense boozers!

hora
    Free Member

Yes H&H 🙂

When I lived there only the place on the corner was ‘plastic’ with its long queues (wtf?) now its identikit with (as mentioned) Mumford lookalikes etc all over the place.

Cord used to be great but they had a refurb on the top floor and that place went abit ‘livingonacreditcardcrowd/hip’.

The prices of pints in Trof and Oddbar are 😯 and both, for me have zero soul or any sort of atmosphere now. Vapid almost.

I like abit of oldschool Manchester pub with different crowds mixing in….saying that barwise I still like here http://wereviewanything.co.uk/2010/02/25/font-bar-manchester/

RustySpanner

Have you tried the Angel (used to be the Beer House) recently?

Popped in for the quiz a few Mondays ago.
    It’s really nice now:
    Was always friendly and welcoming, but now they’ve got rid of the damp and redecorated it’s excellent.

The actors from Waterloo Rd were all in there too, apparently it’s a regular place for the TV crowd now 😯

Worked at CIS for many years, so used to go out round there a lot.
    Hate the Printworks with a passion though.

Edit, not been in Font for many, many years.
    Used to go in the Salisbury and what’s now the Attic before Rock World/Jilly’s/The Banshee back in the old days. 🙂

Daughter loves the Sand Bar. It’s ok, but a bit impersonal for me.

Rising Sun and the Town Hall Tav are both really nice pubs.

Still miss Tommy Ducks too, shame it had to go.

hora
    Free Member

Just googled it. Bloody ell!!!!!

Should we do northern quarter instead DD???

binners

The Angel is a great Boozer. The Town Hall Tavern. Blimey! Not been in there for a while. The Nags Head was always my regular when I worked down that way. They used to have a sign above the bar saying

“Tired? Need a power-nap? Rooms are available by the hour”

I’m not sure much napping went on. Power or otherwise

And the whole of one wall had an utterly depraved orgy scene painted on it.

RustySpanner

Nearly forgot, I met my Mrs in the Angel too – happy days 😀

hora
    Free Member

I’d happily do the Northern Quarter instead as long as we avoid Odd/Trof/Centro (sorry its beers just leave me cold).

I.e. all the slightly gritty/places with great ranges of ales ontap.

binners

We’re not doing the northern quarter you swollen gland! Its full of fixie riding **** in their sisters jeans. And you get all prissy about what you will and won’t eat, you massive gaylord!

Stick with the plan. Which, lest we forget: YOU came up with

Get back in your box

hora
    Free Member

grrrrrr

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can do the NQ tomorrow night. I’ve got slim fit chinos and brogue boots and a green howies tee shirt for that. Was there a plan for Thursday? Ox, somewhere else, then TDI. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ox first then take it from there on Thursday. TDI- I’m just abit concerned, its abit of a trek out of town plus its in an area full of teenies/students and I’ll look like someones Dad in there

binners

Here’s my take on a possible route to TDI – Ox for food > Cask > The Knott > Britons Protection > Kro2 > Sand Bar > TDI

hora
    Free Member

Sounds good. I could bail out midpoint (i.e. After Britons)/a good compromise 🙂

Kro2- is there that singer/guitar playing bird still there? I remember watching her one Fri night and falling in love 8)

binners

Sounds good. I could bail out midpoint (i.e. After Britons)/a good compromise

Is that when you’ve estimated it’ll be your round?

nbt

Ox -> City Arms -> Britons -> TDI would be my suggestion – Kro 2 in particular is very far out of the way compared to the others

but as I said earlier, I’ll be leathered and heading home before you reach TDI 🙂

binners

You could always nip in for a skinny decaffe latte in the Cornerhouse

hora
    Free Member

Is that when you’ve estimated it’ll be your round?

Or you could ‘pop out for a fag’ magically when its yours? 😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Jules, you pretty much need to walk past kro2 to get to sandbar/TDI from the britons… Anyway, binners I’ll
    drop you a text when I get near town to find out where you all are (it’ll be about 7.30ish I reckon).

Bregante

It’s being planned with Military precision this. I thought it was just a few pints in town. All very impressive, although I suspect that it will all go to ratshit after the first few rounds 🙂

nbt

>Jules, you pretty much need to walk past kro2 to get to sandbar/TDI from the britons…

?? maybe my manchester geography is lacking, or maybe it;s my knowledge of the bars? Briton’s is at theback of GMEX, TDI is next to the Sugden Centre, where’s Kro 2 then? Kro is further down Oxford road near the students union, or is that Kro Bar rather than Kro2 ?

hora
    Free Member

If I get comfy you’d have to carry me out of the first pub 😆

binners

Kro 2 is next to the BBC on Oxford Road Jules. The original Kro Bar is down near the Academy

I think I may have read the script on nights like this. We’re not going to make it out of the Ox, are we? 😉

Unless we all get some fluorescent tabbards, Except for one person who can have a clipboard and can act as ‘carer’ and Marshall us all from pub to pub

hora
    Free Member

LOL- lets see. I’m going to make it redwine first as their red is good fruity, non-vinegary pap

nbt

I was thinking of Kro Bar, yes. there’s a Kro in Heaton Moor too, y’know

and yes, we’ll leave the Ox – the CIty Arms is a must do

Shall I bring the flouro tabard I use for commuting?

binners

You’re starting on red wine? But of course. What could possibly go wrong?

Does anyone round there do cocktails. We could play cocktail roulette.

hora
    Free Member

Do you think I’ll pull binners?

binners

No problem at all. But we’re not going to the Village.

Congratulations on completing ‘the Look’ BTW

hora
    Free Member

You’re always thinking about fags

Harry_the_Spider

You like some sort of nightmare hill-billy nonce.

No offence. 😉

binners

you got a real purty mouth

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Is that –

“Do you think I’ll pull binners?”

or

“Do you think I’ll pull, binners?”

Because word on the street is that Binners is easy….

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

TDI = The Deaf Institute?

Amazing place. Me and the missus discovered TDI a couple of years back at the D2D Festival. We make sure we eat, drink or do both there when we are in Manchester.

In fact the last time we were there, pre and post Bombay gig, there was some sort of funk/soul do going on. Unfortunately it was freshers week and full of the little blighters. Shoulder to shoulder it was. Cool music and equally cool mirrorball though.

It’s just a shame they stopped doing Blue Moon on draft with a nice wedge of orange in it. Mind you at £5 a pint I can understand why, although it was a rare treat none the less.

hora
    Free Member

you got a real purty mouth

It’ll look much like a furry fagina on Thursday 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can’t wait. 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Never mind the look – that mini trunking to your left is a bloody disgrace.

hora – that is one moustachioed nine thousand yard stare you’ve got going on there fella…

I’m suddenly busy. very busy on Thursday night.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 312 total)

The topic ‘I'm in Manchester next week – what's worth checking out in the evening?’ is closed to new replies.