Home Forums Bike Forum Ibis Ripmo AF thoughts…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ibis Ripmo AF thoughts…
  • muddipete
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a Ibis Ripmo AF 2022 frame with the Topaz air shock from a mate of a mate at a good price and i’m tempted to build it up using parts from my 2018 Whyte S150.

Reviews look good and the DW suspension seems sorted, having said that my Whyte is still a better bike than i am rider. Just wondered if anyone has got experience of the Ripmo, good or bad, before i pull the trigger?

submarined
    Free Member

I bloody love mine, it’s like an excitable puppy of a bike. Climbs way better than it should, and is an absolute hoot on the downs. It’s not light, and it’s not pretty, but it’s super energetic and fun. The Topaz is a great shock, one of the only ones I’ve ever had that works great without a revalve.

Only issue I’ve had are a bit of regular maintenance needed for the link bushings, but that’s pretty easy and just a regrease, and the fact the cable routing for us freaks is crap, as the port covers can’t be swapped. So it’s dropper cable in to the LH side.
    I’m going to up the travel on the front to 170 to make it even more smashy. Lonely.

Garry_Lager

I got one in the sales earlier this year and been pretty impressed – did Ard Rock on it and an Alps trip. Very forgiving and enabling bike on difficult stuff ime. It’s not a regular ride for me so still pretty new, can’t say how it hold up over time.
    It pedals well for an enduro bike – so that means OKish in actual bike terms, phenomenally well in endurobro terms. You could have the ripmo as your daily ride without it being ridiculously hard work, if you ride trails that justify the travel. I went round Ard Rock on it no prob and that’s a decent amount of climbing. It’s way too much bike for classic UK moorland riding imho.
    I agree with submarined that it’s not the most aesthetic of bikes – only drawback I can think of really. It’s not a pig by any means, just doesn’t capture the eye the way better looking bikes do.

reeksy

Great timing. I just went for my first ride on a new to me 2020 Ripmo AF with Fox X2 this morning, built up with parts from other bikes. It’s 15kg exactly. Haven’t had time to adjust the travel so am running 140mm but will change to 160mm this weekend if i get time.
    This morning it was 25 degrees at 5am and very humid so about the worst conditions for riding. The Ripmo weighs 2.5kg more than the bike I normally ride (aggressive Ti HT) but i have to say I was impressed with the pedalling.

• I didn’t have any issues on the very techy climbs.
    • On a couple of my favourite fast but very pedally tracks I was no slower – so it sprints well.
    • Downhill on very rocky tracks is mental – I was taking ridiculous lines just for the hell of it and didn’t feel at all out of shape.
    • Impressed with the pop – I was clearing doubles more easily.

This thread needs pictures…

IMG_6701IMG_6698IMG_6697

Simon

Had my previous bike stolen in Feb and needed a bike in a hurry…back then there weren’t many bargains around but Merlin had the 2022 Ripmo AF SLX with Topaz air shock for £2500.
    I would normally go for a medium frame but they didn’t have any, however the seat tube on the large looked short enough for me at 5″9′ tall, so I bought one.
    It was a gamble but it fits me well. Pedals and climbs much better than my previous Reign and Trance, plus it goes down hill faster. It’s heavy but all bikes are these days, only time I notice the weight is when I have to lift it over a gate. Looks weird side on in official photos, looks ok in real life.

Overall a thumbs up from me.

Simon

PXL_20230430_121437083.PORTRAIT-01Taken back in April when it was new.

Northwind

Mate has one, it’s a lovely bike, proper do-anything have-a-go hero. He’s had a wee bit of trouble with shocks, presumably because of the bloody stupid clevis mount

Simon

@Northwind what were the problems with the shock?

chives
    Free Member

Love mine! Not the lightest, but still a very capable climber. Used for everything from commuting to Cairngorm Munro big days out. I can’t offer much by way of comparison though; this is my first full sus, first 29er! 

muggomagic

I got mine back in April 2020 and it’s such a great bike. I’ve done everything from bike parks to 100km xc rides on it and done over 6,500km on it now. I’d been riding my hardtail mostly the 2nd half last year (hardly ridden at all this year due to injuries) but whenever I do ride it now, I’m still kind of surprised at how good it feels.
    I did fit a cascade link to it but since I’ve bought a long travel ebike I’ve switched back to the standard link so it’s back to feeling more trail bike than enduro-lite (if anyone wants a lightly used cascade link, give me a shout and we can work something out) and I think it feels better for it tbh.

Garry_Lager

Do you have a decent wheelset on yours for those miles, @muggomagic?

I’m still on the stock wheels and wasn’t sure if swapping would make much of a difference, as I’d only be winching the climbs anyhow. But then lighter wheels on a heavy bike must be one of the more significant changes you can make.

Simon

I’ve not weighed my stock wheels but they’re not supposed to be that heavy are they?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Hope its ok but I need to join in and ask about problems and issues with the bushings and wear.  The carbon ripom has been in my eyeline for 12 months and I keep looking away, but having levels or carbon worries riding in the Lakes and Peaks  the Ali one could just well be a good replacement, and with a float x I think it would be a prilliant allrounder . 

moonsaballoon

I’ve had mine for about a year now without any problems. I love the feel of the coil on it and it pedals really well for a longish travel bike . It is a bit of a bruiser , built solid and is definitely not the prettiest bike out there but I would say it looks better in the flesh than in pictures.

I don’t think the stock wheels are particularly heavy but they are wide and once you add on some big sticky tyres it obviously has an effect on the bike but obviously it depends on your priorities.PXL_20230424_230941193

crankslave

I got one on a whim in 2022 as I wasn’t getting on with my Niner RIP9 RDO. Despite being alloy rather than carbon and 12mm travel less its a hoot to ride whether that be steep Alps tech or bike parks. Swapping out the 160mm MRP Ribbon fork for a 160mm Marzocchi Z1 improved it even more.

Running Hunt Enduro Wide wheels and 2.5 WTB tyres makes it totally fine to pedal all day in the hills.

If you can afford it, go for it!

stevedoc
    Free Member

@stevedoc … sort your proof reading before posting ….  .  I dont think its a bad looking bike  ive seen far worse.

muggomagic

Do you have a decent wheelset on yours for those miles, @muggomagic?

Majority done on the stock wheelset, I have replaced the bearings in both wheels about 18 months ago.

I do have a set of dt swiss with ex511 rims and cushcore which I put on after flat spotting the rear rim at BPW. I stick them in when I go to bike parks the last couple of times I’ve been and then back to the stock ibis wheels when riding locally. The stock ibis wheels are pretty light but have held up well considering the abuse they’ve been subjected to.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I had one, it was great. Only replaced it because I fancied a change and never really liked the 3-bar gate look, especially in XL

Alex

I don’t have an AF but I’ve had two carbon ones. 4000+km on a 2018 v1 and around 1000km on a V2 I bought 2nd hand in the spring.  It’s a brilliant all round trail bike.  

It’s my first choice unless it’s horrible and muddy (then I ride my HT) or we’re off for some steep/nutty/rocky stuff (then I have my Giga). This year tho we did a week in the pyrenees and I took the ripmo and never felt I wanted the bigger bikes. 

Things worth noting

– the top link (with the 4 bearings) isn’t meant to be servicable. You had to buy a whole new link with bearings from 2pure. Not so easy now no UK disti. They are servicable and mine get checked once a year. Defo in the firing line from the rear wheel

– the bushings seem maintenance free. Had them out a few times but no obvious wear. Put them back with a smidge of grease.

– The DW link/small gap between seat stay and swing arm can still trap rocks that eat paint. It’s better now with the protection/flap but it’s one of the reasons I don’t take it out when its filthy.

– I don’t like the traction tune (and I’m not a massive fan of the X2 generally). Mine has a float X with a more standard tune and I much prefer it.

– I don’t run a 2.6 in the back, it’s a bit tight. 2.4 on 30mm rims seems the sweet spot.

I know the AFs are a bit heavier, but all Ibis’s seem to pedal really well and are a blast going down. I had a sit on my mates XL (mine is a L, I’m 5ft11, short legs) and if I was buying again I’d probably size up.

V1-2018

Ibis RipMo. About to get very dirty on its first ride !

V2-2023 (before I changed the shock)

New Bike Day!

muggomagic

Should add that I had my frame replaced under warranty around 18-24 months ago as I found a crack around the weld of one of the lower pivots. Think it was something that a few people had on the early models, but might be worth checking the frame you are buying as I only noticed it when I was giving it a bit of TLC. 2pure and Ibis were super quick to sort it out and I was able to carry on riding it for a week or 2 until the frame arrived from the states and was then shipped to me.

The replacement frame welds looked a lot beefier.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d describe the bushings as maintenance free. I’ve had to these them quite a few times.

Regarding the link bearings – I believe there are replacements available now :) need to look at sorting them for mine.

If it’s a complete bike, my only other issue is that the front hub bearings haven’t lasted very well. But the rest of the wheels have been fine.

mc
    Free Member

what were the problems with the shock?

The frame/linkage design puts a lot of twisting forces through the shock, which is generally fine with air shocks, but the smaller shaft on coil shocks leads to excess wear, or with certain shocks, can even lead to the shock shaft shearing.

However Ibis will deny there is any problem with the design…

chives
    Free Member

Vis keeping stones / crap off the upper link; I fitted a length of old inner tube over the link, from the back of the seat tube to further down the swing arm/rear triangle. It seems to keep everything out of the nut cracker area.

Whilst we’re on, I also fitted a lower down tube guard originally spec’d for the Kona Process (138, I think, from memory). It’s a self adhesive affair, and fits a treat.

muddipete
    Free Member

Thanks for all the inputs, i’ve pressed the button and bought the frame.

Nice Christmas project to build it up.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

Hi. Just hijacking this thread. I’m 6ft and ride a HT with 850 reach would I be best sizing up? Also I’m right on the threshold between 550/600 spring what’s others thoughts on the spring suggestions on the Isis website. Cheers

reeksy

850 reach???

I’m 6ft, ride a HT with 469 reach and a Large v1 Ripmo AF with 475 I think.

It doesn’t feel to small to me, but I notice some go for an XL at this height.

No idea about springs, i’m on a Fox X2 – which despite everything I’ve heard seems spot on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

“suggestions on the Isis website”

I suggest not following any advice in that website. In fact, don’t visit it at all unless you want GCHQ going through your life with a fine tooth comb

Simon

I’m only 5’9″,  I bought a large Ripmo AF based on the geometry numbers and I’m quite happy with it. I think a medium would have been too small.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

Cheers for the input. Defo typo there sorry 485 reach. Im mainly asking as the Isis website someone kindly signposted me too says Im right between sizes l & xl. As I am between spring rates.

reeksy

You really ought to stay off that Isis website…

mrmrhill
    Free Member

😂 can’t believe I’ve made the the same mistake twice. No wonder i couldn’t work out what size, now I’ve got a swat team outside the house I suppose NBD will have to wait 🤦‍♂️

bearGrease

This thread needs pictures…

Not of an Ibis Ripmo AF it doesn’t!

moonsaballoon

5 foot 9 here and on a large . I used geometry geeks .com to compare to my medium cotic which I felt fitted me pretty well  . I think Ibis size up relatively small .

Alex

5ft11 here with short legs, long back. I have a L, but also ridden my mates XL and both fitted fine. Not sure that helps! I do big days on mine and it doesn’t feel cramped but in photos it does look quite ‘small’

I can (just) run a one up 240mm post tho, so that’a definite benefit of the L size. Run a 45mm stem I think.

vmgscot

6ft1 and ended up on an XL Ripmo (not AF) – I don’t feel stretched out like I thought I would – even keeping the stock 50mm stem.

ehrob

just under 5 foot 9 here and on a medium, fits me great. though i prefer a shorter bike, and i use mine as a trail bike mostly, not an enduro bike.

if you’re wanting extra stability, size up. though if its stability you want, there are perhaps more suitable bikes available.

submarined
    Free Member

5’10ish here on an L, 210 OneUp v2. Fits beautifully! Now has a Cascade link which appears to have increased my grin size even more.

Simon

What does the Cascade link do?

reeksy
    reeksy

I can (just) run a one up 240mm post tho, so that’a definite benefit of the L size.

I’m an inch taller and just get away with 200mm!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.