Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • I feel the need – the need for speed! [Top Gun Maverick spoilers]
  • crazy-legs

My favorite plot hole was the enemy helicopter lining up to shoot the downed US pilot, like they wouldn’t have taken such a valuable intel and propaganda target alive!

I think that was one of the more minor plot holes in a film with plot holes big enough to fly an F15 through them! But hey, it was very enjoyable. Throwbacks to the original, great flying sequences, just enough low-key humour.
    I’d go again although I’d like to see it on IMAX if possible.

CheesybeanZ

Enjoyable in a tom cruise cheesefest sort of away.
    Not a classic like the original tho .

ads678

My one question, is when does Penny’s surname get used? It was only a chance IMDB search for the character names at the interval by a friend that made me realise her significance. I think it would have been fun if she had made a call to her father at the point to get Mav back in the F18, rather than him stealing it.

Ha, ha, excellent! I’ve just googled it now realise who she is. I just thought it was one of those random things we’re not supposed to question, but that’s great actually.

I’m gonna look great when I explain that to my son in the morning!!

eulach

I’m gonna look great when I explain that to my son in the morning!!

Will you also explain why Let’s Dance is playing on the jukebox?

Great film, made me feel exactly like I did walking out of the cinema when I was 15.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Loved it.

the-muffin-man

Went to see this last night (should have been seeing Tears for Fears in Derby but that was cancelled!).

Thought it was OK – for me it doesn’t stand up to the hype. And as has been mentioned I bloody hope George Lucas got a writing credit!

It’s an 80s film rehashed for today and that style of film doesn’t age well. Things have moved on.

And I couldn’t stop thinking of Chris Finch every time Rooster was on screen!…

mashr

It’s an 80s film rehashed for today and that style of film doesn’t age well. Things have moved on.

Is was grand. . . right up to the point Gosling came back to get shot down. Then it was a downward spiral and , as mentioned earlier, jumped the shark with the F14 take off

argee

Is was grand. . . right up to the point Gosling came back to get shot down. Then it was a downward spiral and , as mentioned earlier, jumped the shark with the F14 take off

Personally i thought that because the movie never took itself too seriously, it all just fitted in with one of the biggest parts of the plot, nostalgia.

If Tom Cruise had taken this movie in a serious direction, it would have been a complete turd of a movie, that’s the problem you get with a lot of Hollywood movies that turn out crap.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just watched it today to kill a few hours, honestly thought it was absolutely **** ridiculous.

10/10 would watch again.

Now wondering if you can copy his F14 move in GTA Online 🤔 sounds like next sessions challenge…

mattyfez

I really enjoyed it…did exactly what it was supposed to do.

crazy-legs

Do I spend my Nectar points on downloading it from the Sky Store or do I spend some of the money on my Amazon gift card and download it to the laptop… ?

Latter has the advantage that I can take it in a long flight later this month. Former has the advantage of being on a bigger screen. Choices choices.

RustyNissanPrairie

Had my folks round last to watch it as dad didn’t want to go the cinema (TOO LOUD!).
    Even my mum enjoyed and she hates films.
    It’s brain out flying version of Fast& Furious but with flight controls rather than gearknobs. 10/10

Top Gun

Fast and Furious

shermer75
    Free Member

I watched it for the second time yesterday, it’s still on at my local cinema. I enjoyed it even more second time around! I reckon I’ll go for a third if it’s still around in a month or so- I noticed it’s also on at the Imax, so maybe there..

stumpyjon

Total tosh, loved it.

revs1972
    Free Member

Watched it last night. Rented UHD on prime .

Not as good as the original .

What got me was, if they knew the exact spots of the SAMs , then why didn’t they send missles to take them out simultaneously when they struck the runway.

argee

Not worth thinking too hard about it, the air defence was just there to pretend they needed to do the Death Star run, the TLAMs managed to safely get to their target, but again that was another plot device

If it has taken itself even slightly serious this movie would have sucked, but Tom cruise knows how to do this stuff pretty well, to give him his due.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I enjoyed it very much but if I stopped to question any of it I would have had to query pretty much the whole film.
    Very lucky that when they were doing the practice runs on the target using their software programmed course that they also found a valley that matched most of the run, otherwise it would have looked pretty lame. Etc…

dudeofdoom

I find a good film I remember the plot but a popcorn movie I just can’t remember it.

I’m going to enjoy watching it again as all I remember from the first time was it felt a bit Star Warsy 🙂

It’s good entertainment and isn’t that really all you want from a movie.

phiiiiil

I watched it last night too,I enjoyed it. The start is so similar to the first one I thought I’d rented the wrong film for a minute and had to check!

Weirdest thing I thought: Val Kilmer has throat cancer, so his character in the film does too. But then his character dies, presumably of said cancer… it seemed rather harsh! “Hey, please be in our film playing someone who dies of the very disease you have…”

pondo

To be fair, I think I read somewhere that Val literally begged to be in it.

mattyfez

The start is so similar to the first one I thought I’d rented the wrong film for a minute and had to check!

So did I, then I thought, they ain’t F14’s! hahah!

I enjoyed it, does exactly what it says on the tin with lots of nods to the origeonal.. I thought Gooses’ son, Rooster being a carbon copy of Goose was a bit cheese, complete with dodgy mustache and piano playing, but hey, it’s that kinda film.

Weirdest thing I thought: Val Kilmer has throat cancer, so his character in the film does too. But then his character dies, presumably of said cancer… it seemed rather harsh! “Hey, please be in our film playing someone who dies of the very disease you have…”

I think it was more a cameo role out of respect, I thought it was quite nice.

oceanskipper

It’s even better 2nd time round. Those flying sequences really are entertaining.

somafunk

Rented it last night and got as far as cruise being thrown out the bar, gonna finish it tnight, prob should’ve tried to find/watch the original top gun on streaming services first though.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@somafunk shit, you really need to see the first to get it.

somafunk

I blame it on my folks and growing up in the arse end of Argyll, we didn’t have a tv as there was no signal and by the time we moved I had girls and motocross to amuse myself with. I’ll see if it’s on Netflix/prime/Disney and watch it tmorn.

On top gun 2, all the acting is cheesy as **** but I guess that’s intentional.

somafunk

Well that’s it finished after a few breaks in watching, the flying scenes are good to watch, the rest not so much so I’m glad I rented.

zilog6128

Finally got around to watching this. Really enjoyed it, a worthy sequel (just don’t think about any of it too hard 😃)

Did they intentionally copy a couple of bits from Hot Shots though? Genuine LOL when Wash Out with his Coke-bottle glasses popped up in the bar at the start, also at the end when Mav is landing the plane and goes through a checklist of everything that’s broken 😂

Weirdest thing I thought: Val Kilmer has throat cancer, so his character in the film does too. But then his character dies, presumably of said cancer… it seemed rather harsh!

yeah I thought that was really harsh! I guess they needed his character out of the way, so that Mav had to prove himself without Ice around to save his arse, but still!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

To put any criticism of this film in perspective you should do what I did last night and watch Firefox…

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Looks like Hangman is having a wee change of scenery…

Cougar

I’m so very done with Death By Orange And Teal. Other pallet colours are available (ironically, given that it appears to be a film hanging its hat on colour issues). It might be a great film but the trailer alone was near-unwatchable.

Klunk
    Free Member

argee

Now available on Paramount Plus for Christmas viewing 😁

jeffl

Yep. That’s what I’ll be watching tonight.

Kryton57

Watching it again tomorrow with Mrs K57 & Little Miss K57 – who didn’t see it at the Cinema – as this years Christmas Eve family movie 🙂

mrchrispy

its my hangover/too cold to go out movie…curl up on the sofa, stick the fire on and turn it the hell up

rone

I’m so very done with Death By Orange And Teal

That is going nowhere soon. Standard Hollywood palette.

However nuance alert – maverick didn’t use on-camera grads/filters as much and the ‘look’ was largely created in post – therefore much more dialed back over the original and perhaps a little more on the permanent golden hour palette.

The original looks very fake these days and you can clearly see the use of grads on the lenses. Very heavy reds.

The new film will walk Best Cinematography 2023 I reckon for squeezing 6 Sony Venices in the cockpits.

shermer75
    Free Member

Some interesting points made here:

Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.