Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)
  • I feel the need – the need for speed! [Top Gun Maverick spoilers]
  • fooman

Going to local premier on IMAX tonight, should be a visual feast they managed to squeeze half a dozen IMAX cameras in the cockpits of real jets, plus directed by Joseph Kosinski whos other films like Oblivion and Tron were visually stunning.

Oh film is Top Gun: Maverick in case you were born this millennium and don’t get the thread title.

Mrsfoo is most keen to go, who knew she was so into fighter jets?

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve always felt the original film was ridiculously over hyped and over rated, and I don’t think either of my teenagers have seen it, but having seen a trailer at the cinema a couple of weeks ago we all said “yeah, we’re gonna have to go see that!”

RustyNissanPrairie

Radio4 culture program (?) rated it well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Ooh, well reminded, must check out when it’s on

Daffy

Almost everyone that’s reviewed it has given it high marks. I’ve been looking forward to this for almost 3 years!

doris5000

Mrsfoo is most keen to go, who knew she was so into fighter jets?

IIRC, the original is about 34% of a 22-year old Tom Cruise flouncing about looking pretty, and 21% muscly young men hanging out in the locker room in a very manly and not-at-all homoerotic manner

MrsDoris is certainly quite keen to see the sequel, and is probably only dimly aware that it will involve aircraft

johndoh
    Free Member

I thought about seeing it in Imax but opted to go for 4DX so I get thrown around in my seat and get to smell Cruise himself. Probably.

Unfortunately I have to wait until 29 May to see it ARGGHH!

Almost everyone that’s reviewed it has given it high marks. I’ve been looking forward to this for almost 3 years!

The only less than glowing review I have read was The Guardian’s review and that seemed to centre around the lack of homoerotic content which was a quite frankly weird thing to focus on.

mogrim

I was assuming it was going to be a steaming PoS, but if it’s getting good reviews I might just have to make an effort.

binners

The only less than glowing review I have read was The Guardian’s review

As a Guardian reader I find the Guardians film reviews absolutely dependable. If they give it a slating, then book your tickets straight away, if they give it 5 stars, its guaranteed to be hours of your life you’ll never get back, probably in black and white, in Icelandic, with subtitles

The utter ‘Guardian 5 star’ shite that I’ve sat through over the years. Usually at the Cornerhouse

Mrs Binners has booked us IMAX tickets for next week. Can’t bloody wait!

doris5000

The utter ‘Guardian 5 star’ shite that I’ve sat through over the years. Usually at the Cornerhouse

Once went to see a 4 hour Lars Von Trier thing at the Cornerhouse following a Guardian review.

It was Sunday afternoon. I hadn’t been to bed. Comedowns don’t get much more gruelling

IHN

Mrs Binners has booked us IMAX tickets for next week.

At the Printworks Binbins? Last thing I saw there was Gravity, I feel the need, the need… to have a look and see when this is on and see if MrsIHN fancies going.

xora

Id have gone to see it, if it was a full reboot, but Tom Cruise is such a nasty bit of work I can’t really justify giving him more money!

Daffy

but Tom Cruise is such a nasty bit of work

Is he? That’s completely contrary to what all the people I know at Airbus who worked with them on the MI films have said.

IHN

Woohoo, IMAX me up baby. Half seven next Friday evening 🙂

footflaps

Every time I hear the opening bars of the Top Gun theme I get shivers down my spine – the original was such a good film.

IHN

the original was such a good film

I mean, come on now, let’s be honest, it was dreadful. I love it, but it’s dreadful

timmys

Is he? That’s completely contrary to what all the people I know at Airbus who worked with them on the MI films have said.

Everyone says he is lovely in person. I assume xora’s point is more to do with him being a leader/recruiter for a ‘religion’/cult/money making scam that destroys peoples lives if they don’t like you.

ayjaydoubleyou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFq16IG_k0

“From the guy who made Alien and Blade Runner’s brother (Tony Scott) comes a military recruitment tool disguised as a gay romance disguised as an action movie: Top Gun.

Cold War America is on the razor’s edge of Armageddon. Now, America’s best pilots will be pulled from active duty to drink, screw, and play drawn-out games of homoerotic beach volleyball. Oh, and occasionally fly some planes.”

Every time I hear the opening bars of the Top Gun theme I get shivers down my spine – the original was such a good film.

The new trailer gives me chills too, no matter how many times I watch it.

the00
    Free Member

The Guardian review was just quite hilariously brilliantly written, regardless of the rating:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/may/12/top-gun-maverick-review-tom-cruise-is-still-needy-less-speedy-in-a-rocknroll-sequel?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

I was concerned the review might be more entertaining than the movie, but I’m keen to find out.

pondo

^^^ Too much spoiler!! Didn’t think it was out just yet – it’s must-see for me. 🙂

TheFlyingOx

They’ve taken arguably one of the most iconic films of all time, and one of the best from the 80s, and done just about the only thing possible that could make it better – added Jennifer Connelly.

I’m overseas at the moment but #1 on my list of things to do when I get home is find an IMax to go see it.

ads678

So is Imax the best  then? I’ve never seen an IMax film or 4DX or anything like that, but should I book IMax for me and the boy?

StuE
    Free Member

Friends daughter has worked with Cruise on the MI films and says he is great to work for, biggest problem they have is getting him to stop doing his own stunts

martinhutch

Hilarious Guardian review, basically moaning that it doesn’t have enough of a gay undercurrent!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I said earlier – a very weird review. ‘It’s a good film but didn’t duplicate the original’.

argee

The original was a full on 80s movie, honestly if you go back and watch Lethal Weapon and the likes you’ll be questioning your childhood!

This’ll be great, i believe Cruise has put a lot of effort into getting this going, and he tends to do entertaining movies, can’t remember the last Tom Cruise film that wasn’t a good watch, ok the mummy was a bit weird, but he does this stuff well.

As for negativity, yes he’s got his quirks, but he seems decent, nobody says anything critical about him, bar that he expects a lot of those on set and isn’t afraid to upset those who are causing issues in production of anything he works on.

markgraylish
    Free Member

When did going to the cinema become so complicated?
    Granted, I haven’t been to the cinema for at least 3 years pre-Covid and now my local Cineplex is offering loads of different booking options…

fooman

Saw it last night and can say it delivers. It follows the original Top Gun template closely, the opening sequence virtually identical including the danger zone music – still gave me goose bumps! Why change it if it works. Some of the gung-ho attitude has given way to a humorous self awareness and better for it. The flying action is spectacular of course, I actually had to grip my seat a couple of time, but it was the jet noise that really stood out, done to great effect.

Hilarious Guardian review, basically moaning that it doesn’t have enough of a gay undercurrent!

I can confirm there is a shirtless beach sports scene, it’s nicely woven into the story as is a small speaking part from the Iceman – really! Everyone has had a few years to build a rich back story which it benefits from.

onehundredthidiot

Spoilers!!!!!!!

😁 Tickets booked for 24th……June!!!! It’s when it comes to our wee cinema. Better that than a 40mile drive at least I can take beer to my seat

So if you all could keep a lid in the intricacies of the plot that’d be dandy.

johndoh
    Free Member

So if you all could keep a lid in the intricacies of the plot that’d be dandy.

Plot? Goodies fly planes better than baddies, goodies win. (Probably – I haven’t seen it yet so it is a guess not a spoiler).

fooman

Plot? Goodies fly planes better than baddies, goodies win. (Probably – I haven’t seen it yet so it is a guess not a spoiler).

Maverick learns from the past, follows orders and flys by the book. You know it.

ready

Has anyone experienced this with the full 4DX effects yet?

Some of them look quite…… interesting!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Has anyone experienced this with the full 4DX effects yet?

Not yet but I have tickets. Will report back after I’ve been (although it’s not until next weekend).

ready

Please do! All jokes aside, I remember about 15 years ago watching a Honey I Shrunk the Kids film in Disney that had 4D “effects” – and they were pretty good back then – so I’d like to see how they’ve improved in that time.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Ha ha ha after that I had to go and read it myself. You’re right. In fact it reads how I imagine a disappointed ‘Loose Women’ review of some future ‘Shades of Greydism’ sequel might read.
    😄

onehundredthidiot

Yeah sorry was a “joke” post. I can guess the plot, even down to a “son of”, goodies, baddies, moment of doubt, cocky youngsters “maverick” veteran, ice man pep talk. The only bit I don’t foresee is Kelly mcgillis being the enemy top gun. Boy what a twist.

It’s top gun bingo.

Disclaimer I am making this all up. 24th June.

tomhoward

That. Was. Errrmazing!

binners

Well, that was absolutely bloody brilliant!!

tillydog
    Free Member

Just come back from seeing it too…

I love the original Top Gun film, and wasn’t going to sully the memory by watching the new one (which I was sure would be carp), but after hearing the R4 review, I thought it might be worth a look.

Well, I bloody loved it!

If you’ve got any sort of soft spot for the original, then GO!

the intricacies of the plot

I can’t do emojis on the computer for some reason, but imagine the one with tears of laughter >now<

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, loved it.

The same but different ins very good way.
    Well worth the watch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.