Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 197 total)
  • I feel the need – the need for speed! [Top Gun Maverick spoilers]
  • thols2

Once went to see a 4 hour Lars Von Trier thing at the Cornerhouse following a Guardian review.

bensales
    Free Member

I can’t imagine it’s going to have lines quoted for years to come (although I think one character’s name might), but it was a well made, brilliant, feel good, action movie. The recipe was just right, with enough nods and calls backs to the original to make you laugh and smile. The plot was utterly pointless, but that didn’t matter at all, as it was only there in service of the homage to the original and the set pieces.

The first ten minutes were just perfect.

tomhoward

The first ten minutes were just perfect.

This.

jeffl

Just seen it. Utter nonsense, but all the better for it. Even has a scene vaguely like the Kelly McGuillis sex scene, without the sex, that means you can go for a wee and get another beer.

tomhoward

Even has a scene vaguely like the Kelly McGuillis sex scene

Pretty sure it’s in the same house, or at least a very similar one. She even drives an old Porsche. Mav knows what he likes.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Fricking great.
    Got to see it today before the gobby little shitgoblins were off school to ruin it.
    I’ll see it again in a couple of weeks for sure.

ctk
    Free Member

Is his face ok though? I struggle with all the Botox

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

gobby little shitgoblins

Forget the film, that’s the best thing anyone’s said yet! 😂😂😂

rone

You lot are quick off the mark.

I’m normally first in the queue but waiting until tomorrow.

It’s been 2 years delayed so I’m happy just to wait a bit longer.

Any thoughts on the IMAX (not shot in IMAX – Sony Venice) or 2DX versions?

Never even heard of 2DX, fake wrap around thing.

Soundtrack thoughts? Hans Zimmer and Harold Faltermeyer …

Any Tony Scott tributes?

stevedoc
    Free Member

A brilliant way to spend 2 hours .. just like in 1986 but newer ..well almost . Same cheeseyness but in a good way .. so many dem feels moments..

Brilliant but 5th gen fighter ?? well thats about 6 left in the world now then 🙂

tazzymtb

its basically just the deathstar run from starwars a new hope, even with yoda quotes and the bit with vaders tie fighter.

and also missing the point that a mission of that sort is literally what drones were made for.

jolly silly fun though

RustyNissanPrairie

Top gun ish….

shermer75
    Free Member

Omg I loved that so much!

shermer75
    Free Member

Any Tony Scott tributes?

Yup, at the end

rone

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Hits all the right spots.

Minor criticism: as good as the flying is there are just too many close ups. Needs to breath a little in the landscapes.

Opening was a fantastic homage!

footflaps

Top gun ish…

I thought that was brilliant!

Off to see the film on Sunday – 1st ever IMAX experience, which caused a big suck of breath looking at the ticked price…

rone

Yes 16.99 here! But enjoyed the big screen nonetheless at Sheffield.

It’s not even shot in IMAX..cheeky sods.

footflaps

It’s not even shot in IMAX..cheeky sods.

I vaguely recall seeing a promo clip somewhere saying it was….

Not that I’d know the difference.

and £35.90 for two tickets!

That used to be a week’s wages!!

shermer75
    Free Member

The Guardian review was just quite hilariously brilliantly written, regardless of the rating

That is, indeed, very funny!

fooman

Any thoughts on the IMAX (not shot in IMAX – Sony Venice) or 2DX versions?

According to Sony, the Venice is IMAX certified.

bigdaddy

That James Corden film was excellent!! Can’t wait to see the film now…

rone

IMAX certified is just marketing stuff.

A venice camera is just a 6k camera blown-up to IMAX. I own one of the IMAX certified cameras.

This is not the same as being shot on an IMAX camera capable of equivalent (65mm) 12K of equivalent digital detail etc.

You still get a decent quality blow up. But not really IMAX in the proper sense same as the Dark Knight or Dunkirk.

The projecter is often uprated to 4K.

IMAX have just effectively lowered the allowance of spec to suit more ‘regular’ cinema cameras.

It looks great though.

But just see it at the biggest screen you can irrespective of IMAX.

tomhoward

That is, indeed, very funny!

I though the Val Kilmer reference in the review was uncaring at best, verging on straight up nasty.

SSS
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it. Well worth going to see. Although it does get really silly at the end – Top Gun meets Impossible Mission with a bit of Behind Enemy Lines.

IHN

Opening was a fantastic homage!

I’m not going to lie, at the first BONG of the Top Gun theme, I actually welled up a bit.

It was great. Stupid, but great. Which is exactly how it should be.

tonyd

I’ve been avoiding this thread all week! Just got back from seeing it and absolutely loved it. My 12 year old (who loved the first one) said this is is his new favourite film – I’m so proud 🙂

lunge

Saw it last night and it was every bit as brilliant as hoped.
    Super cheesy, wonderfully nostalgic and hit all the right notes. The first 10 mins were immense, and it continued in that vain. First film in ages that I want to see again in the cinema.

Kryton57

I’m not going to lie, at the first BONG of the Top Gun theme, I actually welled up a bit.

Just returned – I found it oddly emotional, not helped perhaps by our IMAX being turned up to 11, the afterburner moments where shaking the place! All the right good things though for our age group, an excellent homage to the first, and brilliant for 13yo Jnr who loved it – with a choice of Army or RAF cadets in 2 years he’s made his choice already!

tomhoward

with a choice of Army or RAF cadets in 2 years he’s made his choice already!

I’m sure the Navy will be thrilled 😆

Kato

Loved it, wanted to go straight back in and see it again

Just missing You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling

johndoh
    Free Member

Just watched the original with the kids to warm them up for the main event tomorrow (in 4DX). I really can’t bloody wait.

argee

Just back, was a great nostalgia driven 2 hours that was complete fantasy and suspending the brain stuff, as always, Tom Cruise just likes to do fun action stuff, realism is for others, he does like doing that weird run in every movie as well though, and there’s plenty here as well!

I think overall they made this one even sillier than the original, and thankfully they really never took themselves that seriously when doing it, which made it fun, nostalgic and silly, but with those heartwarming moments where they put some real crowd pleasers in.

Cletus

Enjoyable at some levels but the aviation geek in me was cringing at some of the scenes. That “Nighthawk” thing he was flying at the start only had side windows ffs and don’t get me started on the SAM’s.

sharkbait
    Free Member

and don’t get me started on the SAM’s.

Awww…. Go on, I’m interested as I have no clue about them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

he does like doing that weird run in every movie as well though

If he doesn’t do “the run” or ride a motorbike then it’s not a proper TC film!

Cletus

@sharkbait

The SAM’s (surface to air missiles) shown in the film look like the Soviet era S-125.

These are radar guided with a range of about 35km. The film shows them locking on to planes at very short distances whereas their minimum engagement range is around 3.5km. The missiles are also fooled by flares being pumped out by the US planes – that would only work for heat seeking missiles such as the Sidewinder rather than radar guided missiles like the S-125.

Some of this missiles explode quite close to the US planes and would, in real life, severely damage them down due to the large proximity warhead on the missile. In the film the planes carry on flying without any issues.

If this mythical country that the US are attacking has fifth generation fighters (F22 and F35 equivalents) then they would surely have better SAM’s such as the Russian Pantsir which can engage at short ranges and could deal with low flying aircraft better than the S-125.

I guess the S-125 looks cooler though so that’s what they went with.

I stole most of this info from  the site at the link below. It is worth a read after seeing the film if you are a plane nerd.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/31116-top-gun-maverick-answering-aviation-questions

argee

Enjoyable at some levels but the aviation geek in me was cringing at some of the scenes. That “Nighthawk” thing he was flying at the start only had side windows ffs and don’t get me started on the SAM’s.

Yeah, but that’s the fun, he took a $200 million prototype and achieved the test point, but then kept pushing and crashed it, he also managed to go through that security checkpoint at about 40mph!

I think the SAMs were there for show and the last bit, they also appeared to miss the 20 TLAMs that flew past them ;o)

The film also used the phrase 5th generation a lot, but then had those aircraft have the absolute opposite strengths and weaknesses of a 5th gen aircraft!

But again, it’s switch brain off fun that’s basically having modern aircraft having WW1 dogfights!

argee

@Cletus, that link does have a few of the good bits, and it doesn’t even touch on the fact he walked away from a mach 10 ejection 😂

sharkbait
    Free Member

When they were explaining the TG mission did anyone else think it sounded remarkably similar to the 622 squadron film?!!!
    (Low flying through valleys with AA on top and a very steep climb out after dropping the bombs)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.