Home Forums Chat Forum How to sound proof a new build garage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to sound proof a new build garage.
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am planning a new build double garage that hopefully we will be able to build in a couple of years time.

Bike spannering is nice and quiet but I will also need to work / restore some old cars that will involve large amounts of metal work so I was wondering if anybody has experienced trying to make a garage sound proof enough for me to be able to angle grind metal and beat things with big hammers without disturbing the whole neighbourhood. The garage will be a couple of meters from our house and around 20 meters from the nearest neighbour.

matt_outandabout

We used these guys products on a flat we converted. Best advice they gave is that sound is like water – you are only as soundproof as the weakest link (gaps round doors, cracks in walls etc)

http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/Sound-Advice/Domestic-Soundproofing/

dmorts

Best advice they gave is that sound is like water – you are only as soundproof as the weakest link (gaps round doors, cracks in walls etc)

I agree. Your weakest points will be the doors and windows therefore spend the most money on these

Elsewhere you don’t really need proprietary systems like SRS (the link above) produce. The key is mass and isolation, e.g. double stud wall or a solid brick wall and stud wall with a cavity between.

The roof may also be a weak point, what sort of roof are you planning?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Was thinking about a concrete tiled pitched roof but happy to put an insulated flat ceiling under the rafters level.

Doors would be wooden barn doors that should not need to be opened very often so could work out a system for making them shut and seal well.

If I did put in a window it would be a double glazed upvc unit.

dmorts

Just found this – Sound proofing a garage

Roof idea looks useful, although they are plugging their products. Remember mineral wool does little to stop sound transmission on it’s own. It’s main function (in a cavity) is to damp any resonances within the cavity as these can impair the sound insulation of the structure/system as a whole.

Are you able to position the garage doors so they face away from neighbour. This will reduce the impact of any leakage

EDIT:

Actually I have a slight issue with this

The 2 layers of plasterboard on resilient bars is all good, but the additional layer they’ve stuck in will do little (the “another layer of plasterboard”). It might even make things worse. The resilient bars should be straight onto the joists

samunkim
    Free Member

Any new detached garage in my neck of the woods is going to end up as a granny flat, so why not just go the whole cavity wall treatment from day one ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to sound proof a new build garage.’ is closed to new replies.