Home Forums Bike Forum Hope HB916

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Hope HB916
  • teethgrinder

I’ve had mine since Aug 2022. Guess that’s a canny long time.

Started life at full 29er build from frame only…pics above are the day after picking it up, and was just needing a new rear hose as it was a bit longer than expected (470mm reach for an H2 vs 439mm reach for the HB160).  Build has changed a bit since…now it’s a mullet (xm481 on Pro 4 still, though), Conti tyres, V4s, higher rise Renthal bars, and a harder spring 🐷).

Bloody good bike, and much better than the HB160, which wasn’t a bad bike at all, but there’s probably 5 years of geo development between them.  Also my first 29/mullet bike so that was a learning curve.

To me, rides better as a mullet…was buzzing my arse when it was a 29er. That doesn’t happen on my KSL, but that’s an S4 and a bit bigger.

Kept the adjustable headset upper cup in slack, and with 165mm cranks get the odd pedal strike. Probably would’ve got 155mm if they had been released.  

Options soon after release were better that when i put my deposit down in March 2022. I went frame only, and bought parts along the way, but the rolling chassis would’ve been good with all the Hope gear and Ohlins 38’s, which aren’t cheap.

If you like Hope parts, they’re a bargain compared to other brands (relatively speaking), and the sponsored riders have had a lot of very good results over the last season, but obviously some of that is due to the rider

As for problems, my main issue was the idler pulley which I wore out in 7 months (Aug-Mar, so over winter) and 1000 miles. Obviously it’s a wear item, but it wears so gradually you don’t really notice until it’s too late, or at least I didn’t 😂.   Just changed the last one out so 10 months.

It’s a keeper.

teethgrinder

Oh, and the Butty Box is useful, but not a game changer. Bit fiddly to get stuff in, but once in it doesn’t rattle.

HobNob
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for about 10 months now. It replaced a Dreadnought, which is still my favourite bike from a pure riding perspective, just not reliability – the problem was solved by me cracking it in the end.

Ive ridden quite a few different HP bikes & my other half still has her Claymore, which I steal on occasions too. The Hope is the least HP feeling HP bike I have ridden, which is kind of backed up in the numbers, as it’s by far the one with the least amount of rearward axle path. I’d probably describe it more as a mid pivot. If you haven’t ridden others it wouldnt be an issue, but I am a fan of a rearward axle path.

That said, it does ride nicely, although I don’t ride it as much as I thought I would, which is a symptom of how good decent trail bikes have become. I spend most of my time riding smaller bikes, because they really only give up a tiny bit in descending, but the difference in climbing & more mellow trails is significant now. That’s not an HP or Hope specific thing, I think it’s just Enduro bikes are a little bit of a one trick pony now.

In terms of the actual bike, it’s well put together & I haven’t had any reliability issues with it. My niggles relate to yet another pointless BB standard it doesnt need, no ISCG tabs, half a UDH hanger with a weird Hope proprietary bit which means no T-Type & no internal hosing guides. I haven’t had the reported issue of some bikes having the seat stay brace contacting the seat tube on a hard bottom out. I have checked it with a couple of shocks & have 4-5mm spare on mine, so not sure what thats all about.

Overall, id say it’s a good bike that rides well. It’s a big bike, and definitely wouldn’t be my everyday choice for anywhere in the UK & I’m not sure they are worth the nearly £4k for a frame, I’m fortunate that I didn’t even pay half that, but then that’s probably more of a reflection of the industry as a whole at the moment. I don’t think any frame is worth that much.

I there might be better bikes out there for 95% of the time, personally. Again, thats not Hope specific – thats more aimed at Enduro ‘race’ bikes.

sharkattack

Thanks fellas, lots to think about. I spent all last week fantasising about one while I was being battered to death on the incredibly rough trails around Málaga. Not sure I’d need one for most of the time, even though I do like it rough I don’t have easy access to that kind of riding.

There’s a few things I’m unsure about. They’re not worth the RRP but it’s not exactly easy to pick up a used frame to try it out.

dyna-ti

£6745.00

Hell’s bells, you can get an Ebike for that.

dumbbot
    Free Member

That stupid BB standard was the prime reason I went for a Claymore over the HB916

Stevelol
    Free Member

It’s absolutely bonkers that it doesn’t have ISCG mounts 🤯

HobNob
    Free Member

There’s a few things I’m unsure about. They’re not worth the RRP but it’s not exactly easy to pick up a used frame to try it out.

I’m seriously considering splitting mine & putting it up for sale if you are looking for a raw H3. It’s been Invisiframed from new & is immaculate.

sharkattack

Yeah it’s a gorgeous thing but there’s a few things about it that seem daft.

I wouldn’t be paying for a full bike. Zero chance of that happening. I’d be buying a frame with an Ohlins coil shock and scrounging like a fiend for everything else.

Or I could just buy a used Geometron G1 because I already know it would be awesome.

Edit: beaten by 1 minute. 1st choice would be a H4 to be honest because it’s almost bang on what I already have but with more travel. Get some pictures up though, and an inflation busting price to get the juices flowing.

HobNob
    Free Member

The size might be an issue for you then, as I’m 185cm so the H3 is my ideal.

HB

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/26127312/

Currently got a Fast Fenix shock on it, but if you wanted to put something else on it, I can reuse it on another bike 🙂

sharkattack

I’m closer to 190cm. Hopefully I run into one while out and about so I can have a closer look at one in the flesh.

I’m dead set on the Ohlins coil though. The one on my Privateer 141 is mint.

lowey

I’ve only managed 2 rides on mine so far, but i much prefer it to the Highlander it replaced.

Gratuitous picture….

sharkattack

That’s what I’m after. Full Ohlins but with a black frame. What size is that?

If you’re anywhere near Sheffield I will gratefully accept a quick test ride!

I just think it looks awesome in this picture…

sharkattack

Oooh look what I found. This popped up on eBay so I Googled the actual shop and found it listed £200 cheaper…

http://www.rmcycles.co.uk/bikes/bike-frames/hope-916-enduro-mtb-carbon-frame-and-shock-size-h4-approved-used

Unfortunately I’m not ready to pounce on it. I might have a serious garage clear out this weekend and if it’s still there after pay day I’ll sleep on it, then mention it to the Mrs, then read some more reviews, then possibly send them a message. Then start looking for a RXF38 in the sale somewhere.

I could be riding this thing by 2025.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.