Home Forums Bike Forum Holdsworth steel road frames

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Holdsworth steel road frames
  • DaveT
    Free Member

I know planet X always get a bit of a marmite reaction, but anyone got any first hand experience of the steel Holdsworth frames they are knocking out now? Tempted by the Holdsworth competition

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/holdsworth-competition-frameset

epicyclo

Decent tubing, properly butted. Unless they’ve made a mess of the welds it’s going to be fine.

I’m not so sure it will ride as nicely as the better versions of the originals – 531c tubing with lugs gives a ride that is hard to beat.

About the only production steel bike I’ve ridden that could challenge a top of the line steel lugged frame is the Fuji Track – the version with the 1″ fork steerer.

I’d say go for it.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Sorry, no experience but looks a nice frame, if the claimed frame weight is correct the 1.9kg for frame and forks doesn’t seem bad for a steel frame? The GCN custom made frame was 1.8kg IIRC.
    I like the look of the Stelvio and Elan framesets (I’m a disc convert), but probably heavier than my Kaffenback which is already 2.2kg frame only…

Sorry for the useless reply…

superstu
    Free Member

No experience so another fairly unhelpful reply. Did some research on these and feedback was mostly positive, so I would buy if I was in the market. I ended up with a genesis equilibrium instead but that was because my lbs had one in and cut me a ridiculous deal.

IHN

I’ve got the Stelvio:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLSTEL/holdsworth-stelvio-touring-adventure-disc-frameset

Built up nice, paintwork’s good, rides lovely (it’s a bit of a tank, but that’s more to do with the touring build I’ve put on it more than anything).

13thfloormonk

Another mostly useless reply, I seriously considered one as they seem the best of that ilk on the market (lighter and better tyre clearance than Genesis Eq or Light Blue Wolfson). All that put me off was that I didn’t feel I had the time to build one up to my spec, but didn’t like the off-the-shelf spec. There’s a couple of forum threads elsewhere about them, from which I gleaned that they should be able to take 28c tyres comfortably, which is a plus.

Unfortunately unlikely I’ll have the opportunity or money to buy one now, still slightly regret not going for it…

cp

I’ve been thinking about one of these for a while and can almost justify one now.  However, the PX reviews section suggest frame weight is higher than PX claim:-

wish it was a little lighter(Lg – 1850gm frame, 2155 w/fork), but I love the ride and it just feels fast.

I’ve seen them in the showroom and they do look lovely.

jwt
    Free Member

I bought an Elan, so chalk and cheese with what you’re looking at but it’s been great as a winter bike.

Although I had to get creative to get 28mm GP4000’s on a small frame and still get mudguards on and a front mech to shift………..

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME frame weight is 10-20% more than claimed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Holdsworth steel road frames’ is closed to new replies.