Home Forums Chat Forum Help! I think I’m allergic to donuts

• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Help! I think I’m allergic to donuts
  • Clover

I’ve never been great at digesting sugar (can’t eat sweet stuff before lunch time) but I can eat chocolate and sweets in the afternoon. Especially if riding. But donuts and cake make me feel so ill I have to have a lie down. Bread is fine so it’s not gluten. But delicious sugar/fat/flour combined and baked make me feel like death. I still try them every now and again because I can’t quite believe that I’m not mistaken. Anyone have any idea what’s going on?
    It’s not fair, btw.

Klunk
    Free Member

worst humble brag ever !!!! 😉

p7eaven
    Free Member

‘Feel like death’?

What’s that like? Sore stomach? Headachey? Bloated? Or weak, fading, existentially bereft hanging from the edge of a 2000ft rocky precipice, a howling ice-hurricane behind you threatening to blow you over after your loved ones who already went? 😉

richardkennerley

Lactose intolerance? I know too many biscuits/cakes etc play havoc with my tum tum and I think lactose is a likely culprit.

whitestone
    Free Member

More likely to be an intolerance than an allergy, an allergic reaction is non-trivial. I’ve a mild intolerance to some, just some, of the products of a local bakery. If I eat one of those products I’ll get the sniffles about an hour later as if I’m starting with a cold then a couple of hours after that everything clears up.

Clover

Feel like death…

Woozy, sick, need to lie down right now before anything bad happens.

NB my loved ones can wolf down donuts with impunity.

duncancallum

All donuts or shite ones like Krispy creme?

You ok with pancakes?

Clover

Even artisan sourdough donuts.

Each of the individual ingredients I appear to be able to digest just fine. It’s the baked combination that makes me feel I’ve been poisoned.

Pancakes ok if home made and not too sweet.

p7eaven
    Free Member

OP,

Reactive hypoglycemia?

igm

They bring me out in a huge swelling round my middle if I eat too many*. Is that it?

*More than a couple of dozen a day for a few weeks.

(I’m not being helpful actually, am I?)

MoreCashThanDash

I’m happy to help by eating your doughnuts in order to protect you.

zippykona

Same here, there’s too much fat in them .
    See also supermarket flapjack.

theotherjonv

Help, I think I’m not allergic to donuts

Esme
    Free Member

Yup, sounds like hypoglycemia . . . but the interesting question is, why do you react like this, when others don’t?

I’ve just been reading about the work of Prof Tim Spector on our individual reactions to different foods. He suggests this is linked not only to our genetic makeup, but also to our gut microbiome.

So perhaps a fecal transplant from one of your doughnut-eating “loved ones” might solve the problem? 😉

maccruiskeen

I’ve just been reading about the work of Prof Tim Spector

You could also may read the work of Dr. Theodor Morell

Are any of the OP’s friends ‘Bulgarian Peasants of the Most Vigorous Stock’?

🙂

DickBarton

How much of an issue is this? Are you a doughnut maker and need to test the products every day or is this a once a month or in a blue moon type thing?

Slightly daft suggestion, but based on what I’m reading on this thread – why can’t you just not eat them? Eat something else instead?

TiRed

fecal transplant

Approved for C difficile infections, but even more impressive was this – restitution of PD-1 sensitivity in cancer. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6529/595

Probably overkill for a Krispy Kreme though. If you eat other very sugary things in the morning, do you see the same? If so, hypoglycaemia would also be my suggestion.

why can’t you just not eat them? Eat something else instead?

Now you’re being silly… Although a Pasteis de nata was this morning’s coffee accompaniment.

DickBarton

Would it not be hyperglycemia (blood sugar levels spiking due to the sugars and carbs in the doughnut) rather than hypo which tends to be a lack blood sugar levels.

ta11pau1

Was expecting a bad punchline. Disappoint.

stevied
    Free Member

Can you just eat the hole instead?

funkmasterp

Do not eat the donuts. Do give the donuts to me because I know what to do with them.

Clover

I always thought it must be symptomatic of an inability to process something rather than producing too much insulin but the description fits. I do hangry very well too.

It’s not that bad unless I forget / get greedy / have just come in from a ride and no crumb will be left uneaten. The holes in donuts are very poor fare in these circumstances.

I am from rustic Eastern Europe peasant stock, I’ll have you know. Possibly for this reason I don’t usually eat many processed foods. So I reckon my digestive system gets a bit of a shock whenever it’s presented with easy access carbs. Yes, morning sugar ingestion of any kind can be quite disastrous.

swavis

I feel pretty rank after eating a chip supper. I guess it’s all the fat it’s fried in, my stomach just doesn’t seem to cope with it. I can manage a portion of chips no bother but anything in batter gives me the boak.

slowoldman

So perhaps a fecal transplant from one of your doughnut-eating “loved ones” might solve the problem?

I wouldn’t recommend DIY though.

prawny

Premier Icon
    theotherjonv

Help, I think I’m not allergic to donuts

Help, I think I’m allergic to not donuts

thols2

oreetmon
    Free Member

Allergic to donuts that’s grim.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s a sad story indeed. But unless you were considering a career in the force I can’t see it holding you back.

dyna-ti

I’ve just bought a pack of 4 raspberry filled pink iced donuts.

The pink icing has the texture and feel of being made of plastic.

ElShalimo

jambourgie earlier today

Sandwich

You wouldn’t have wanted to be here this morning then. Tesco contacted us to dispose of 250 surplus defrosted custard and jam doughnuts that they had over-ordered.

I am all doughnutted out this evening.

easily
    Free Member

Eat a purple donut. Purple is a fuit

DrJ

Although a Pasteis de nata was this morning’s coffee accompaniment.

Lucky you got that in while Portugal was still on the green list!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Help! I think I’m allergic to donuts’ is closed to new replies.