Home Forums Bike Forum Help choose MTB for an old rehab MTBer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help choose MTB for an old rehab MTBer
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m not young but I’ve enjoyed (non-competitive) XC MTBing in the past alongside cycling in general for utility and touring.

My favourite MTBs in the past have tended towards lightweight hardtails (Cannondale F900SL, Kona Cinder Cone/Lava Dome, Rocky Mountain Vertex etc)

Least-enjoyed bikes have been full sus but that’s going back some and I only ever owned and ridden few – so not much experience as I got shot of them quickly after not not getting on with them (Giant XTC NRS Team, Diamond Back V-Link, Club Roost XC4)

So next March I turn 55 and I’m on (hopefully) the end leg of a journey from disability and weight-gain, via injury and now towards spending more time on an MTB.

The last 5 years have been bimbling rigid steel bikepackers (Vagabond and now Longitude) and an Orange P7 single-speed for playtime (but that died). Bikepacking isn’t going to happen so the Longitude can go.

So I’m on track for next birthday to being three stones lighter. I can sell my Longitude and rolling chassis Singlespeed project (Dialled L/H) towards funding something maybe more up to date and possibly even a little exciting (as far as the XC end of gnar goes)

Reasoning being that I’m no longer so keen on resurrecting a 26er but am beginning to miss the hardtail as I’m getting fitter/more able. I can’t afford space or budget to keep two MTBs. Budget likely to be £1500 max used or VGC.

So far have drawn a blank except for possibly a Specialized Chisel Comp, would that be a good shout?

Basically looking for a good all-rounder that weighs under 27lb and can do long road transitions or half a day offroad without me feeling smashed up.

Geo? I like it higher than lower upfront which I know is counterintuitive for XC so maybe light but slightly aggro hardtail is a better brief.

*Wild card have thought about Stooge but that’s just a fancy Longitude isn’t it? 🤘🏼🤦🏼‍♂️

Someone tell me that the Chisel Comp is just a shinynewthing in fetching red and I’m better off just building the Dialled L/H?

andos

Cotic Escapade. Most versatile bike ive ridden in 25 years

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ Looks great but fairly convinced I’m looking for a hardtail (full bike) and I have a road tourer that does sub-gravel. In honesty I’m really missing the old (2009) P7 SS, but I can’t surely keep looking backwards so something maybe like

Chisel?
    Sonder Dial?

Or maybe a used Epic 29er hardtail would be something to look at? Or is used carbon sometimes a land where be dragons?

easily
    Free Member

I was looking for something similar and settled on the On-One Whippet (in the end it was a toss up between the Whippet and the Scandal).
    I’ve had it a couple of weeks and I starting to love it. I decided I wanted lightness and simplicity rather than suspension.

It’s fast, nice and light, comfy (though I haven’t done any long rides yet), worth a look?

p7eaven
    Free Member

^Forgot about On One! I take it you went with the stock rigid fork? I’d really be looking at sus fork after so many years of rigid. The brief time I spent on the P7 with 130mm up front was luxury. With (my) weight loss I could consider rigid carbon but would probably be happier with some air/lockout forks (or a Lauf at a push, yet likely way out of budget even on a used build)

Coincidentally was just last night watching Guy Kesteven (on youtube) reviewing a Chisel, now you mention a Scandal I see he’s reviewed that too. Tonight’s viewing sorted. Will be giving the Whippet a closer look.

So that’s three on the shortlist (Chisel, Whippet, Scandal)

Alpkit Dial as mentioned and Orbea Alma are getting a look also along with Vitus Rapide 29 VR

One thing I like about the Chisel is threaded BB

joebristol

I think the Sonder Dial might do what you’re after. It’s not full in xc but it should be light and direct and feel quick. You should be able to build it up pretty light too. Frame is also very cheap if you wanted to build yourself rather than buy one ready built.

Another option could be a Voodoo Bizango carbon if you can find one. You could buy it and upgrade the wheels or fork and have something really light and responsive.

didnthurt

I think a 29er Carbon ‘down-country’ full susser would fit your requirements. But they’re costly. So an alloy 29er allrounder hardtail is probably your next best choice.

The bike that has caught my eye of late is the Salsa Timberjack. There was a review in Singletrack a few months back.

I’ve a Stooge and it is great. My favourite bike. I used it for a 4 day road bike packing trip around Mull last weekend and I didn’t wish to be on any other bike. It’s normally setup 27.5″+ singlespeed but is equally as good with gears and 29″ wheels.

ampthill

I’d test ride a fs if possible. Lots of body protection in the rough. Mine peddles ok on the road. Bars and tyres are of course a limitation as much as fs on the road. Sonder Cortex type thing or a scott spark with the on bar lockout. Mines a Canyon Neuron but the builds and travel are now a bit more aggro to make way for a new bike.

The scandal would seem like a sensible hardtail option

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

GX whippet or scandal. I have a whippet, my mate has a scandal. Love em!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help choose MTB for an old rehab MTBer’ is closed to new replies.