Home Forums Bike Forum Helmets VAT/UK import tax

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helmets VAT/UK import tax
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a new trail lid and the cheapest place online looks like it is from the EU (depot village). Their website says UK VAT and tax is not included, but I think that possibly VAT isn’t paid on protective equipment. Anyone know if this is right? Will I pay anything? (It’s 170 ISH quid).

cynic-al
    Free Member
    peter1979
    Free Member

Nice one. So it shouldnt have VAT charged on delivery.
    Not sure it fills me with confidence that I won’t be charged though from a reply in that thread! 😆

julians
    Free Member

Yes, helmets are vat free.

However, I bought a helmet from a euro shop last year and ( incorrectly )got charged vat upon import to the UK. I had to fill in some HMRC form to tell them they had incorrectly charged vat,and got the vat refunded a few weeks later,so it all worked out ok in the end

peter1979
    Free Member

Good info Julian’s, thanks. Did you get charged a fee from the delivery courier also?

DickBarton

At a guess, if you are charged vat then you’ll also be paying the shipping and customs charges. You’ll have to pay all of those to get the helmet. Once done, you can then claim the vat back from HMRC, but that won’t include any costs from shipping or customs that isn’t vat on the actual helmet.
    As much as it is great getting a bargain, is it that much cheaper once the charges are all added on? BikeInn has no additional charges, do they sell the helmet you need? How much more is it in the UK?

julians
    Free Member

Good info Julian’s, thanks. Did you get charged a fee from the delivery courier also?

Can’t remember,sorry. What I can remember was that the helmet worked out a good 75 quid cheaper in the end bought from Europe rather than buying it from a UK shop.

steveh

Should be no vat but still duty and fee. courier fee normally 10-15 quid.

peter1979
    Free Member

Ok cheers all. I’ll probably get it from a UK based vendor as it’s gonna probably be about the same price.
    Looking to get Poc Kortal race MIPS.

DickBarton

Stirling Cycles just got those in stock…looks very nice in the orange/red…https://www.stirlingcycles.co.uk/rider-protection/helmets/poc-kortal-race-mips-mountain-bike-helmet-in-orange__25294

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The other thing is when it arrives from a UK seller and the fit turns out to be awful its a lot easier to send back.

Also being Poc if you wait a few weeks it’ll be on sports pursuit and you can buy it at 50% like everyone else.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helmets VAT/UK import tax’ is closed to new replies.