Home Forums Bike Forum Headset ticking/clicking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Headset ticking/clicking
  • mjsmke

My headset clicks. 1 year old FSA Orbit. Or makes more of a ticking sound at times. The bearings were a little rough so changed them which solved the noise but it came back after a couple of rides. Plenty of grease used too. Now, it goes if I slightly increase the preload but then its a little tighter than I’d like and tighter than other bikes so concerned it will make the beatings wear quickly. The bars still turn freely but cant think whats causing this. Headsets usually last me years 1 year with mosly dry miles is a bit odd.

matt_outandabout

Cable moving as it enters frame or similar?

fossy

What material is the steerer ?  I used to get this on one bike – my commuter road bike, with an alloy steerer. What can happen, is the pre-load ‘split washer’ can get a little ‘polished’ as it rubs against an alloy steerer. If you dissassemble it, you’ll see black deposits on both the inner edge of the washer and on the steerer.  I’d have to use some emery/sand paper on the steerer and washer, then grease and re-assemble. Noise gone for 6-12 months.

I’d recommend checking the washer and steered as it took me ages to work out the cause of the clicks.

Bike was used in all weathers.

I’ve had no such issue on my FS MTB though, in the 6 years.

mjsmke

Aluminium steerer.

Good call on the split washers; hadnt thoight of that so I’ll give that a go next.

stanley

Bearings moving in frame?

mjsmke

Still having trouble with this and thought I’d cured it the other day.

Installed new bearings and cleaned/greased the cup/bearing interface as well as steerer spacers and topcap. Was fine for a few hours then came back.

If I stand the bike on the back wheel and bounce it up and down it ticks/clicks once then stops. Put the bike back down and sit on it, click/tick once more. Bounce on the back wheel again and it ticks/clicks once again.

I need to remove the forks and check the CSU to rule that out. Really hipe it’s not as they’re out of warranty now.

Next thing to try is remove the headset cups, clean, grease, reinstall.

Any other ideas?

didnthurt

Buy a Hope headset. Sounds like there is some wear within the headset which means the bearings aren’t sitting perfectly. The Hope headset will probably out live your bike IME.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.