Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?
  • intheborders
    Free Member

Maybe im being dim, but if you just use a thermostat to set temp, surely on cold nights heating is on all night? So u need a timer & thermostat?

We use to turn the thermostat down to 15 as we walked past it on the way to bed, and lift it back up in the morning on the way down.

New house though, and down south, so gas cost/usage was buttons.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yep 23.5 is pretty unbearable for me, I’ll go and stand in the back garden just to be able to breathe some evenings during Autumn/Winter. Thyroid issues with a side-order of menopause so she REALLY feels the cold. Unfortunately, she is also impervious to logic and putting another layer or 2 on is too much to ask so I’ll just wait for the inevitable explosion when the gas bill comes in at which point she will also be impervious to the logic of “it’s a lot of money because you run the heating at a temperature roughly akin to that seen at the heart of a star”

Sandwich

your house should be 20-21C, you must just like jumpers.

20 is too warm for me as (shock horror) I ride a bike in all weathers most days and I run warm as a result. As @nickjb says I also like the planet and live in an older house that leaks heat even after a lot of insulation has been installed. It may not be much be every little helps.

bridges
    Free Member

20 is too warm for me as (shock horror) I ride a bike in all weathers most days and I run warm as a result.

I do the same, yet still want my home to be comfortable, which is around 21.5ºC. Perhaps you have high blood pressure?

kerley
    Free Member

The modern office I work in is 21.5 all year round and my home is roughly that too. Seems to be a good temperature for sitting around in but a bit warm if doing anything physical.

A number of studies put the ideal office temp at 22 so goes with my experience.

molgrips
    Free Member

your house should be 20-21C, you must just like jumpers.

Just for clarification, what you set your thermostat doesn’t mean all the rooms are that temperature. Ours is in the hall for example and is set to 18. But it’s significantly warmer than that up here in the bedroom.

pedlad

Yes I need to do a bit of finessing of the TRV settings as 19 on the upstairs thermostat sometimes feels too cold but 19.5 can feel a bit warm in some parts of the house – or maybe I’m just high maintenance :->

I also in light of increasing gas costs had to have the “how the heating works” talk with the rest of the family who regularly air complaints about the heating being either on or off. They mean the rads being hot or not, not the boiler firing or the air of the house actually being right as per the thermostat FFS.

Eldest teenager comes in from weights in garage and pronounces it’s too hot. Leaves back door open near to thermostat then gets uppity when I state I’m not wealthy enough to heat the universe and his action will just make the other parts of the house hotter by firing off the radiators again.

P-Jay
    Free Member

FFS who switches their central heating ‘off’.

People who keep Teenagers who’ll happily heat a house to a near unbearable temp any day of the year to dry a favourite t-shirt a bit quicker 😉

As for a more serious answer, I fire it up the first time there’s a bit of a cold snap, it’s not the greatest system in the world and between March and Oct it’ll usually lose a bit of pressure and I’ll have to bleed the towel warmer in the bathroom.

This year, with our fixed deal ending in a few days when we’re thrown to the metaphorical lions of the energy price cap, I’ve trimmed some time off the timer and taken the temp down on the thermostat. TBH, from an ecological point of view, I should have done it before. I have a feeling we’ll need a new system soon, I fancy taking advantage of the heat pump grant.

retro83
    Free Member

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Yep 23.5 is pretty unbearable for me, I’ll go and stand in the back garden just to be able to breathe some evenings during Autumn/Winter. Thyroid issues with a side-order of menopause so she REALLY feels the cold. Unfortunately, she is also impervious to logic and putting another layer or 2 on is too much to ask so I’ll just wait for the inevitable explosion when the gas bill comes in at which point she will also be impervious to the logic of “it’s a lot of money because you run the heating at a temperature roughly akin to that seen at the heart of a star”

Maybe an infrared heater aimed just at her would be a better solution. Worked for mrs 83’s gran who had previously complained of being cold with the thermostat set to 27 (!!) and wearing a dress, jumper and coat.

Does look a bit shit though.

Sandwich

Perhaps you have high blood pressure?

According to the paramedics on Wednesday that’s all normal, 4 checks in an hour plus a couple of ECG’s too. Resting heart rate around 60 while slightly stressed. (Chest and arm pain on waking at 58 going on 59 had the GP advising to call 999, I think I was a category 2 call as there was an hours wait).

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?’ is closed to new replies.