Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Can’t see it.
    Anybody gone full time on the central heating yet?

I’m sure that we caved on lighting the stove at the end of September last year but we’ve still not yet made it a nightly event this year.

Central heating isn’t on yet which is good given the price of oil! Even if we did switch it on it would only make a difference to upstairs and just one room downstairs as for the last 2 years we’ve not had radiators fitted after some alterations!
    Apparently in two weeks the rads (that I’ve now fitted myself) will be connected to the system and we’ll have heat in the majority of downstairs – it’s going to be weird!
    On the plus side we may use the stoves less.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mines been on for a couple of weeks.

Shoot me.

jam-bo

Probably. Set to 18.5 all year. Don’t really monitor it

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Still wearing shorts.

intheborders
    Free Member

FFS who switches their central heating ‘off’.

Just set the thermostat to whatever is comfortable and leave it there. It’ll come on when it drops to that point.

And it was 1c the other morning here – so I’m guessing you’re well ‘south’?

scruff9252

We were away last week so heating was left to be on frost protection – as a result the house stayed around 12’C for the whole week!

So yes! Heating thermostat is set to have the house at 17’C for getting up in the morning and to be 20’C in the evening.

GolfChick
    Free Member

We’re in an 1800’s cottage in Cumbria where our front room doesnt see daylight all day, the heating is on! But only set to 17 degrees from 7pm – 10pm as that’s all I’m prepared to spend on effectively allowing it to leak out of the place like a sieve!

oldnpastit

Raspberry pi heating controller with some shonky Python scripts I threw together last year.

I’d forgotten all about it, but it started switching on all by itself just as it got cold a few weeks ago.

I should really set it up with some more external sensors and some better modelling.

Alex

Ground source/underfloor heating here. Turned it to autumn/winter mode. Toasty floors are back.

@oldnpastit
    – I have some sensors and a board sat in a drawer to do similar. First in my shed to turn smart plugs on to warm up outside office (and if I’m feeling keen maybe play with triggers around warming up workshop side when I stop recording a ride).

Did consider doing similar to groundsource pump etc which is 10+ years old and very analogue. Not a lot of control over flow rates etc (basically 90% of systems doesn’t work on a thermostat). But since we’ll be moving in a couple of years, that remains a ‘pub project’

kelvin

I thought everyone who used gas or oil did. Anyone born after 1960 anyway. A slightly chilly August morning doesn’t need stuff burning… the sun will soon warm the house again.

bridges
    Free Member

21.5ºC, in London. Heating hasn’t come on all that much yet, mornings and evenings mainly. Our flat is fairly well insulated despite being old, and a lack of underfloor insulation means we get our neighbour’s heat as well! Saves on bills. 😀

IHN

We’re in an 1800’s cottage in Cumbria where our front room doesnt see daylight all day

Likewise, 1800s cottage in the Peak, on the top of a hill, ours (the **** Rayburn) is back on, has been for a week or so. Hour in the morning, half five to half nine at night. New boiler comes in a few weeks 🙂

jimdubleyou

Central heating has been turned up to 22 to test it when the fella came round to service it. That does the old bit of the house & one room downstair.
    Other than that it’s dropped below the set temps (19 warming, 13 set back) a couple of times.

Rest of downstairs is on electric underfloor, which I’m avoiding turning on until we need it – it’s still getting pretty warm out the back in the sunshine we’ve been having and not really going that cold in the evening so not worth it.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

October the 31st is switch on date.. regardless of weather.

tjagain

Never turn it off. thermostat does it job. Rarely drops below 20 in my flat anyway since putting all the insulation in

I have been putting my gas fake log burner on a bit recently. Bite me!

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, mine is set at 21.5 and never touch it.

longdog
    Free Member

Old storage heaters here (down stairs) in a rented house in the far north of north of north that we have virtually no control over. Up stairs is old electric panel heaters which we try not to use unless really necessary. Ex-council house.

I have some sympathy with Insulate Britain, as it costs us (and the environment a fortune) and we’re still cold when it’s really wind and cold.

surfer
    Free Member

Just set the thermostat to whatever is comfortable and leave it there

This. The only downside is that if it does kick in I have to explain again to my better half how a thermostat works…..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We use the Heating on a gazillion degrees and then open the windows to get fresh air strategy – NOT MY STRATEGY

mogrim

And it was 1c the other morning here – so I’m guessing you’re well ‘south’?

2C here the other morning, and I bet I’m a lot further south than you 🙂

And the heating did come on, glad it did as I’m WFH.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I thought everyone who used gas or oil did.

Surely you mean anyone who hasn’t bothered to fit a thermostat and is still on timers…..

I mean what’s the point in turning it to off…..if it’s summer it’s warm and the thermostat keeps it off.

If it’s winter and it’s cold at the prescribed time then thermostat turns it on ….

Fuel doesn’t really come into it.

Mines set to 20 at weekend mornings and 18 for arriving home.

It’s only been on 3 or 4 days so far -and I’m at 57n

It’s been unseasonable warm even today. We had a cold spell where the winds changed tail end of last week where we had a half hour of sleet but nothing to write home about…..yet 2 years ago according to my Google photos we had snow on the ground at this time.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not yet. Was toying with turning it on just to make sure it still works. Only just closed the windows from their slightly ajar position that they stay in all summer. Can’t stand a hot house, luckily the wife feels the same.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Don’t have a thermostat, so yes mine is either off or on. I sit cold on my own all day WFH, and then put on late afternoon to avoid the every day comment ‘This house is freezing’ from my wifes return from work 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Our heating broke in the summer. The plumber came and diagnosed it, claimed to have ordered a part and then went quiet. I didn’t pursue it cos it was summer, but last week I fixed it myself. Since we’d managed reasonably well without it, I knocked half a degree off the temps to save some gas.

I’m going to take a look at smart TRVs so I can only heat what I want to heat, make it a bit warmer for WFH but not by heating the entire house.

jam-bo

I’m going to take a look at smart TRVs so I can only heat what I want to heat, make it a bit warmer for WFH but not by heating the entire house.

I have a small oil filled electric radiator next to my desk<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>. uses bugger all power and its quite effective. </span>

doomanic

Firmly in the “Put a bloody jumper on!” camp here, although the heating is now on. I’m going to have to glue the thermostat dial in place because someone keeps winding it up to max…

nickc

I’ve never got the “Heating must not come on until x date” mentality.  Turning the heating on when it’s cold isn’t a character flaw

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Hi. 1812 house calling here. The big coal unit with the radiators was allowed to go out in March or April – haven’t relit the thing yet, probably hold off until late November. Stove in the lounge has been going for a few weeks though.

franksinatra

The only downside is that if it does kick in I have to explain again to my better half how a thermostat works…..

Story of my life. She still thinks that the house will heat up faster if you turn the thermostat up to max. Meanwhile we have 16 year old daughter who is a fresh air fiend but also likes to have a toasty hot bedroom. Therefore her radiator on max with window wide open.

flicker
    Free Member

@surfer

https://images.app.goo.gl/YFpuo3EJFZzeoJWD7

Me after having to explain thermostatic valve operation to Mrs F, again…..

convert

Still need to find the best solution for this.

Appallingly leaky big house in the highlands at 200m above sea level that’s on LPG. Like all your worst heating issues in one. In the last 12 months we spent £3K on LPG and £600 on logs and still have no thermostat ever set above 17 Deg C (and most turned off completely in rooms we can live without either entirely or for a few hours a day).

Medium term a serious overhaul of the walls/windows (when warrants are sorted and building materials are an actual thing) will hopefully sort out the insulation and reduce the problem. And the mother of all stoves warms us up in the evenings. A tado smart systems has made a big difference to our costs and comfort but my wife WFH in cold office is a thorny problem. I am yet to work out if the central heating on but only one room active (above frost protection) but with water obviously still going around the whole circuit makes sense above some oil filled rads in one room. I suspect it doesn’t.

TheBrick
    Free Member

with water obviously still going around the whole circuit makes sense above some oil filled rads in one room. I suspect it doesn’t

Kind of depends how well your pipes are insulated I guess.

Personally I just use a small electric heater in my work room, placed under the desk so feet and warm and heat wafts up.
    On top of the usual hat and thick jumper. Winter doesn’t start for another month all the way down here.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a small oil filled electric radiator next to my desk

That’s the other option but it’s quite cluttered in here already. I’m considering an IR panel, possibly on the ceiling.

a11y

Honeywell evohome with individual temp regulation for each room, 1880s house. Had it completely off for months (set to 5degC all-round), reinstated it last week and only on in rooms when it’s needed. But when WFH I’m using a small oil-filled radiator under my desk rather than heat a massive room via GCH.

In office today though and it’s a balmy 24.5degC in here – some muppet’s adjusted the heating to compensate for the windows being open for COVID ventilation improvements, not realising it’s an equally balmy (for central Scotland in late-Oct) 16degC outside.

timmys

Mine stays on all the time.

As it knows…
    – Temp in each room (and can heat each individually)
    – External temp and weather forecast
    – Whether individual members of the household are at home or not (and likely ETA if they are travelling home)

…it’s quite frankly better qualified than me to decided if/when/how to turn ‘on’!

b230ftw
    Free Member

I try to keep the heating off as much as I can but working at home makes it a bit tricky. We have a big 3 storey semi for 2 of us and the heating comes on in the morning for a warm bathroom and bedroom then in the evening for the lounge and dining areas.
    I’ve put it on to warm the spare room where I work but it’s annoying that the whole house is being heated which isn’t needed so I’ve been considering the Hive radiator valves to turn various rooms rads off when not needed eg don’t need lounge and dining in the morning really and certainly most rooms through the day when we are working in 2 offices but then have all the bedrooms off in the evening apart from ours which can come on for 30mins before we go to bed.
    I reckon I’ll save loads on gas this way – it’s a chore to turn the rads down every day and I don’t remember to do that often.

If we weren’t working at home it would be easier!!

We have the one hive thermostat which is in the hallway and that room is weird. Sometimes it can be quite warm so the heating won’t kick in when needed and sometimes its the opposite!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine stays on all the time.

As it knows…
    – Temp in each room (and can heat each individually)

What system is that?

timmys

What system is that?

Tado

fettlin

Heating has been kicking in at 5am for an hour when we get up for work, but Hive rad valves only heating certain rooms. On again in the evening if the thermostat warrants it, 20deg is the kick on point for both.

I’ve got new door and window seals to fit as our house does leak heat, wall insulation is about optimum for the style of house but the loft could do with a bit more as well i expect.

all of this is supported by a log burner which is lit when we’re going to be in for any length of time, which usually means friday saturday and sunday.

Coyote
    Free Member

Have put it on a few times in the morning just to take the edge off. Once it’s needed, on it goes! Don’t understand the whole thermostat dad relationship thingy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?’ is closed to new replies.