Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?
  • b230ftw
    Free Member

“ Heating has been kicking in at 5am for an hour when we get up for work, but Hive rad valves only heating certain rooms. ”

How have you found the Hive valves? Good purchase?

Sandwich

16 year old daughter who is a fresh air fiend but also likes to have a toasty hot bedroom. Therefore her radiator on max with window wide open.

If you kill her it’s a free pass! Not a jury in the land would convict. 🤣

richmtb

Our house was built in 2012 and pretty well insulated. The wife has gone into the office today which means that she’s not opened every bloody window in the house.

As a result the heating has stayed off all day and the internal temp is 22C.

It is unseasonably warm though, 16C in late October in Glasgow is pretty warm. One of the apple trees in the garden is trying to blossom again

IHN

What advantage do Hive TRVs have over normal TRVs, other than ability to set them remotely?

Sandwich

Hive TRVs will act as controllers and call for heat in the room via the Hive thermostat to heat just that room. It should cut heating bills as you can heat the home office to 20C during office hours and run 16C as background at other times.

lunge

Nope, though I’ve come close.
    I refuse to heat an entire house for just me in the spare room most of the day.

jonno101
    Free Member

Maybe im being dim, but if you just use a thermostat to set temp, surely on cold nights heating is on all night? So u need a timer & thermostat?

IHN

It should cut heating bills as you can heat the home office to 20C during office hours and run 16C as background at other times.

Ah, so it’s about being able to set heating times and temperatures at a room level. Gotcha.

You could, off course, just turn the normal TRV up in the office when you’re in there, and down when you leave 😉

flicker
    Free Member

Maybe im being dim, but if you just use a thermostat to set temp, surely on cold nights heating is on all night? So u need a timer & thermostat?

Instead of setting on/off periods using a timer you set temperature periods using the timer. We have ours set to 18 °C during the day, 20 °C for the evening and 16 °C overnight. Heating system is on 24 hrs a day but only fires the boiler if the internal temperature drops below the set point.

convert

I think (hope) most have moved on from just a timer or just a thermostat some time ago even with dumb systems.

But as Sandwich says the advantage of smart TVRs is that they (or rather the system they talk to) have the ability to request the boiler comes on so each TRV (kind of) acts as master thermostat. Without it a ‘dumb’ system will have water pumping around your house if the timer says it’s time and the master thermostat is not warm enough even if all the other PVR rads are off. Tada knows to avoid the home office at the weekends, brings the bedroom up in the morning on a weekday an hour or so before the office then turns it off until a quick tickle at 10pm to warm it back up just warm enough to make it bearable. The main living/kitchen area warms up for half an hour or so around lunchtime for when Mrs C comes out of her home office for a quick break. And so on.

edit

We have ours set to 18 °C during the day, 20 °C for the evening and 16 °C overnight.

Dreamy numbers. My wife would happily divorce me to have a bit of that if an opening is available at yours

mogrim

Digital thermostat, you set it to (say) 16C 00:00-06:00, 21C 06:00-08:00, back to 16C until 17:00, then 21C until 21:00. And back to 16C again.

jonno101
    Free Member

Gotcha

Sandwich

We’re about to go full smart heating due to a forced new boiler. Herself is losing her inner child playing with matches so we’ll find out if it works soon.

toby1

16 year old daughter who is a fresh air fiend smoker? but also likes to have a toasty hot bedroom. Therefore her radiator on max with window wide open

Wife has the hive app and turns it on if it seems cold enough before she leaves work, I’m home working in shorts still with no heating on.

I suspect we should sort out the on/off issue with just setting the levels accurately, but I have a temperature I want it to come on at and she has her own higher temperature. So if we were to not switch it ‘off’ I’d be kept at her comfortable temperature all day which doesn’t make sense to me.

Also solidly built house that keeps heat in so a little goes a long way!

seosamh77
    Free Member

not had to turn mine on yet either, had it switch to hot water only all summer so far, in glasgow, thermostat today is sitting at 20.8 at the minute, don’t think I’ve seen it below 19.7. Imagine it’s not far off, usually mid october is about right, but does seem pretty mild this year.

Normally run it about 20-21C all day.

ransos
    Free Member

FFS who switches their central heating ‘off’.

Just set the thermostat to whatever is comfortable and leave it there. It’ll come on when it drops to that point.

I do. It can occasionally be cool enough in the summer to trigger the heating first thing, but then the house ends up too warm as the day gets warmer. I usually put it back on late September so it will come on as needed, which has been infrequently so far this year.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Same here. We have huge windows which can make the rooms quite warm when the sun is in the right direction. However where the thermostat is might be cool enough to turn the heating on. Hence me wanting to fit smart valves to get a bit more control over the whole system

doris5000

Don’t have a thermostat, so yes mine is either off or on. I sit cold on my own all day WFH, and then put on late afternoon to avoid the every day comment ‘This house is freezing’ from my wifes

same! Except I’m in a small house in Bristol. So although we haven’t had the heating on at all today, it’s currently 19.7C in the spare room (aka ‘my office’)

ransos
    Free Member

Hence me wanting to fit smart valves to get a bit more control over the whole system

Yeah, I need to do that now I’m WFH. Each room has a different pattern of usage.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Stove had been lit about a third of the days in October. It has been mild though generally, leaves are hardly turning on most trees and I’ve got daffs appearing in the lawn. This weather seems worrying too me.

Sandwich

Do you think you could all lay off the 20 to 21C settings talk? Mrs Sandwich is just about tolerating 19C and to see these larger numbers may cause domestic harmony to be disturbed.

Once the new install is in we’ll turn her office heat up to sub-tropical if necessary.

theomen

During last year’s lockdown I installed smart TRVs (needs a hub) on most of the radiators and I can control each room separately. The one issue I have with them is they are a little noisy when opening and closing the value.

They can be controlled via Google Home and I assume Alexa… If you are interested this is where I bought them but the prices look link they have gone through the roof in the last year!

reluctantjumper

My heating went on last week (storage heaters…) as the flat was struggling to stay dry while I dried clothes overnight. On it’s lowest setting though and only the heater in the main living area so not cranked it up yet!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do. It can occasionally be cool enough in the summer to trigger the heating first thing, but then the house ends up too warm as the day gets warmer. I usually put it back on late September so it will come on as needed, which has been infrequently so far this year.

Do you live in a tent.

neilnevill
    Free Member

For all that that don’t get the urge to resist turning on the heating, there are, I think, 2 reasons beyond the bragging rights obtained by reaching Feb before caving. 1stly I find it takes me a week or 3 too acclimatise to the warmth in the spring andc the cold in the winter. Take today, 19-20C inside the house but I felt chilly. If don’t resist the urge to flip the heating on for a bit I’ll end up as one of these 21-23C setting people but by acclimation I am fine through the winter at 18-19. 2ndly some people do have to watch every penny and stunning can’t afford to run the heating for 8+ months, it’s got to wait until it’s cooler. I’m very grateful their not me

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’ve just installed the ‘clumsy-builder-with-stihl-saw-thermostat-isolation’ 24hr delay function, which I as upgrade from the ‘clumsy-builder-with-minidigger’ oil pipe limit valve we had earlier in the month

fettlin

b230ftw

Free Member

“ Heating has been kicking in at 5am for an hour when we get up for work, but Hive rad valves only heating certain rooms. ”

How have you found the Hive valves? Good purchase?

Sorry,  only just got back from work!

I wouldn’t pay rrp for them, got them in a really good black Friday deal a couple of years ago. They can be a bit flakey when the battery’s start going and regularly needing calibration. With new batteries in they are reasonably reliable but the thermostat side still isn’t all that good imo.

I tend to use them as valves though, rather than thermostats. Main hive controler is downstairs with normal trvs on downstairs rads, this is also timed. On in the morning before work, then a lower temp during the day then back up to 20deg for evening when we get in. The hive rad valves are all upstairs. On in the morning (30deg) then off all day until 10pm, back up to 30deg to heat upstairs ready for bed but they don’t call for heat, so even if they are open the rads only come on if the timer/stat downstairs is on.

Poverty zoned system really, not all that smart!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sandwich
    Do you think you could all lay off the 20 to 21C settings talk? Mrs Sandwich is just about tolerating 19C and to see these larger numbers may cause domestic harmony to be disturbed.

Once the new install is in we’ll turn her office heat up to sub-tropical if necessary.

your house should be 20-21C, you must just like jumpers.

warton
    Free Member

The builders went through the gas pipe, again, today. So no, I haven’t got the heating on…

ransos
    Free Member

Do you live in a tent.

I don’t have central heating in my tent.

kelvin

It can occasionally be cool enough in the summer to trigger the heating first thing, but then the house ends up too warm as the day gets warmer.

That’s pretty much the point I was making. Burning oil or gas on summer mornings, only for the sun to warm the house anyway a few hours later, really isn’t the way to go. Even if your household can afford to waste money, you should have a think about whether it is wise to be using non-renewables in this way for other reasons.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Annual? Bloody daily

the office I work in is always too hot or too cold. We have air con guys pretty much every week. Lor knows what they are doing. Yesterday I was freezing. Today it’s too hot.

Had the aircon on warm last night as it’s unusually cold here in WA but we’re looking at 25c at the weekend. (When I say cold, it was around 16 last night which doesnt sound cold, but it is for WA)

Bring on 40c+ for three months! Christmas on the beach 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

you must just like jumpers the planet.

Fixed.

tjagain

Don’t have a thermostat, so yes mine is either off or on. I sit cold on my own all day WFH, and then put on late afternoon to avoid the every day comment ‘This house is freezing’ from my wifes

old skool here – timer and thermostat with a gas fake logburner the fake log burner has been on for a few hours the last couple of weeks, thermostat has hardly allowed the heating on at all. if I put the stove on it soon turns the thermostat off anyway

I must do some checks see which burns more gas

kerley
    Free Member

your house should be 20-21C, you must just like jumpers.

21.5 for me. Feels exactly right, whereas just a degree lower feels noticeable colder.
    Not worth sitting in my own house being cold for the sake of what £20 a month (less than some people spend on Coffee every 3 or 4 days!)

lister

It’s still mid teens in Pembrokeshire. Heating is off and won’t come on until everyone is wearing trousers, slippers and atleast one jumper. That’s usually not until mid December.
    I don’t think our house ever gets above 20, even with the heating on! End terrace from late 1800s. Without some major insulation it just can’t hold the heat in the walls. A thermostat would mean the heating was on permanently. We have the windows open most days anyway.
    Oh, and the heating is never on in the mornings; it makes the kids move faster if it’s cold! 😃

convert

21.5 for me. Feels exactly right, whereas just a degree lower feels noticeable colder.
    Not worth sitting in my own house being cold for the sake of what £20 a month (less than some people spend on Coffee every 3 or 4 days!)

That would feel insufferably warm as an inside temp for me these days and would not activity do that to myself. I’d become super lethargic.

As said above acclimatisation is a thing. Visiting friends from down south come visit us here and comment on it being cold (indoor or outdoor) when it feels fine to me. Similarly when working in the med years ago I’d be walking around like it was a normal summers day in 38 Deg C heat and the guest who had arrived in the proceeding days would be blown away. Human bodies are remarkably adaptable.

A slight aside – a temp monitor/humidity/co2 monitor in our holiday cottage which is very air tight and efficient is reporting really high CO2 levels in the living area when its full to capacity and the guests all sit in all evening. Upwards of 3000 ppm. It rapidly drops when they go to bed and stop all breathing in the same space! I might investigate one of these heat recovering ventilation systems. You could open a window for fresh air but then you are heating up the planet rather than just a room. The downside of a very efficient building I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Even if your household can afford to waste money, you should have a think about whether it is wise to be using non-renewables in this way for other reasons.

Alternatively your house is insulated or it’s not. My thermostat (salus rt520 – upgraded from the rt500 the electrician broke) won’t let the heating on in summer as even in the fairly far north of the actual north it doesn’t get cold enough in our house….1950s build -mediocre insulation. Heck it’s only been on a few times this year so far in the AM

We are on oil. If it was using oil unnessecarily be assured it would be off.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

After years of “discussions” and thermostat wars (I turn it off, SWMBO turns it on) and one last “discussion” around why one layer of clothing even if it’s a thermal top isn’t necessarily “warm” and why suggesting that someone “put a jumper on” isn’t a crime against humanity, I’ve caved, I can’t do it any more. Told SWMBO to “just stick it on whatever temperature, I don’t care enough to have the discussion anymore”.

Result : 23.5 degrees and the windows open upstairs because it’s “stuffy”

kerley
    Free Member

23.5 degrees, that would be unbearable for me. House only gets that hot during a sustained summer heatwave and it is horrible.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Have we had the annual “heating” thread yet?’ is closed to new replies.