Home Forums Bike Forum Have we done the new Pace RC429 yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Have we done the new Pace RC429 yet?
  • fettlin

Another option to throw into the everything bike mix from Pace.

On paper so far, it looks like it could be what I’m after. I guess we’ll also find out if the new Solaris is a bargain!

From Pace:

Its roots are hardcore MTB hardtail but it still finds the sweet spot between trail riding, bike-packing and gravel riding- this is the ultimate do-it-all bike you’ve been looking for.

Mountain biking has progressed and diversified and so have our bikes – whether you take the hard route on an epic mountain adventure, or a gnarly trail where other gravel/xc bikes may give up – the RC429 is designed to meet a wide range of demands within a simple modern machine.

Design notes:

– Slack/progressive geometry
    – 100-130mm travel
    – Flat bar/Drop bar compatible
    – Suspension/rigid fork compatible
    – Pace carbon rigid fork optional, designed for heavy loads and big mountain riding
    – 29″ boosted wheels
    – Reynolds 853 steel
    – Designed and tested in North – Yorkshire, Made in Europe
    – Wide range of mounting options throughout frame and fork
    – Internal routing for Dynamo lights
    – UDH
    – Available in frame only + complete builds suited for aggressive hardtail / down-country / bike-packing and gravel riding
    – 3 colours
    – 4 sizes

Pre-order opening next week with full specification details.

Delivery beginning of March 2024

Houns

1x only 😏

legometeorology
    Free Member

I don’t see any sliding dropouts on that one

monkeyboyjc

Looks (on paper) to be very similar to a Smokestone Mr Harry, just not ti.

5lab
    Free Member

if you want a “gravel” pace, surely the answer has square tubes?

submarined
    Free Member

Maybe I’m just being dim, but wouldn’t flat bar and drop bar compatible mean it was compromised in either one or both?

mtbfix

Awaiting next week’s email with interest. Not that I ride my current bike frequently enough to justify owning another.

bikesandboots

Maybe I’m just being dim, but wouldn’t flat bar and drop bar compatible mean it was compromised in either one or both?

It does have a short looking stem there with the drop bar, and the standover is good. And the brakes are post mount. Maybe it’s the opposite of a Cotic Cascade – gravel biker’s MTB?

legometeorology
    Free Member

Yea it’s a weird claim to make, although the compromise is perhaps quite minimal nowadays, at least for easier riding. You can get dropbars with very short reach and shallow drop (say Ritchey Beacon), such that you only need to add a 10-15mm longer stem to run flat bars. Going from a 35mm stem with drops to a 50mm with flats isn’t a problem. There may be some cockpit height comprimise, but prob also resolvable, with appropriate stem choice.

So I’d say it’s not really frame design that makes it drop- and flat-bar compatible, but some modern bars do allow for this.

chestrockwell

Really like my 627 so would have been interested in this when I changed my gravel bike in the summer. Think I’m over this type of bike now I’m on a XC MTB though?

Pricing will be very interesting with it being built in Europe, due to the Cotic fuss.

desperatebicycle

They probably mean you buy the size frame for what you want to run, not that you can swap between the 2 on the same frame. Who would be bothered doing that anyway 🙂

faustus

Looks interesting, and not dissimilar to the Cotic cascade or Solaris. I think these might be made in the same factory as the new Solaris, Fort bikes in Czechia? Might also be the maker of Fairlight bikes but not sure.  Looks interesting, and its probably worth their while selling those bikepacking forks separately, I can image a fair few takers. For the whole drop or flat bar thing, it’ll be similar to what the cascade does, not too long so it is manageable with both kind of bars (with different stem lengths). Personally, I wouldn’t be keen on controlling a 130mm fork with a drop bar!

Anyway, another good all-rounder XC option can’t be a bad thing.

moff

Was hoping it would have sliding dropouts or bb to allow an eccentric, but it going to be BSA bb & UHD dropouts.

Apparently the new 529 is going to have some sort of UDH sliding dropout combo.

infovore

That DT Swiss dropper they are showing it with is a 60mm travel one – unless there’s a model DTS don’t mention – and it is unclear what size seattube it is – the DT one is either 27.2 (like the Holt) or 30.9. Although they suggest offering a Bikeyoke Revive instead, so maybe it _is_ 30.9 after all.

kelvin

There’s a 27.2 Revive : https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/revive-272.html

bikesandboots

For anyone who saw this yesterday – today there’s a new page linked about the downcountry build https://pacecycles.com/blogs/news/rc429-downcountry

bikesandboots

So last week, they said next week… nothing yet.

bornonaboat

£899 RRP, currently taking 20% deposits for delivery in march/may according to the website.

RC429 Frameset

No tube specs yet so hard to say it’s a direct comparison to the cotic 

chestrockwell

Usually use 853, same as Cotic. Certainly jumped in price but not by as much the Solaris.

ceept

Is it really a Pace if it’s not got square tubes & external butting?

nuke

It’s interesting but still holding out for geometry (unless I’ve missed it somewhere?)

ampthill

I’m watching with interest. In a moment of clarity i realised a monster cross would be a mistake. So now looking at the Holt or Solaris

Do sram do a cable operated derailleur for that “hanger”?

fettlin

Fk it, deposit paid on a Rioja Red Lrg frame, what could possibly go wrong?! Glad it’s refundable…

I was so close to buying a Lrg Rioja RC529 when it was available a few years ago and bottled it as I thought it was too much bike for my bimble-core riding.  Regretted it since, but don’t really like any of the recent colours. 

craa22uk

Looks good. When I was last frame shopping I was going to get an RC529 but ended up with a Stanton Switch9er, which I really like but often gets left behind for an easy ride when I’ll reach for my crappy Boardman Xc pub bike. I also got a go on the 27.5 Pace with the 853 tubing and it felt much nicer than the Taiwan steel of the Stanton. Would love SS-able dropouts though.

bikesandboots

£899 RRP, currently taking 20% deposits for delivery in march/may according to the website.

RC429 Frameset

This page wasn’t linked to from anywhere I could find on the website, and has now been removed anyway.

Didn’t look ready really, no geo, and only photo of one colour.

fettlin

This page wasn’t linked to from anywhere I could find on the website, and has now been removed anyway.

Uh oh!

mtbfix

More details next week = the cheque’s in the post?

bikesandboots

Website banner now says 2nd Jan https://pacecycles.com/

nuke

Shame as was interested but the Cascade offer discount expires before the ‘big reveal’. Don’t get it really as I’d have thought that whilst they might not have the frames in stock, at least they could have confirmed the geometry since the first press release. oh well 🤷

mtbfix

There was pricing, geo, etc. on the site yesterday but gone now. £900 was the number iirc.

beanieripper
    Free Member

axle isnt centered to the dropout and the mudguard,rack mount is swarfy…

bikesandboots

What do you mean by those?

cheekysprocket

”Apparently the new 529 is going to have some sort of UDH sliding dropout combo.“

So my present Shimano gearing will have to go out the window for a SRAM UDH setup? Could make for an unfeasibly expensive/wasteful frame swap project :0(

EDIT: just done a Google.  Looks like by universal UDH, the internet means compatible with UDH and normal – doh!

st
    bikesandboots

Seat tube angle seems pretty slack. What would be the logic for this?

finbar
    Free Member

Seat tube angle seems pretty slack. What would be the logic for this?

I’m guessing it’s because any steeper wouldn’t work in the rigid fork/drop bar guise.

bikesandboots

To be fair, it’s the same STA as the Cotic Solaris, which afaik isn’t designed for drop bar use. So compromise might not be the reason.

clubby

About right for a modern hardtail I’d have thought. Steeper than a Bird Am. No need to be as steep as a full sus, which will slacken or stay roughly the same as bike goes through travel. Hardtail st angle will get steeper as fork compresses. They’ve also quoted sagged figures. Static with rigid fork is 76.5.

matt_outandabout

I’m intrigued to see first reviews of this. Hoping STW get to play on one…

chestrockwell

Started to get excited when the email with geometry figures dropped. Thought this could be the perfect combo of my XC 29er and Pace RC627. Then realised I had no real need to change and I’d probably miss the specific abilities of the bikes I have! Not for now then.

I’d have one over the Cotic though as it seems to be made in the same place and of the same steel but for a chunk less cash. Going by the quality of my current Pace frame it won’t be giving anything away on that side of things.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.