Home Forums Bike Forum Hardtail enduro racing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hardtail enduro racing
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Does anyone stick to hardtail and how does it compare to FS competitive wise?

Northwind

I did it a few times, always had a blast but competitive? Couldn’t tell you, I’m mid-pack on a good day. I never found it bothered me at all for the hard bits, but it did rip speed out of me on long lumpy bits at Ae and at innerleithen. Some races have a hardtail class, other times it seems to get forgotten (I spat the dummy a bit when UKGE promised one then couldn’t be arsed to do it) but if there is, then it tends to mean rapid mad bastards turn up on hardtails and you do even worse. I think the only race I’ve ever done that I positively would not want to do on a hardtail, is kinlochleven, it’s deadly enough on my big skills compensator and the constantly challenging surfaces would be a bit much

Mind you, I had a really kick arse hardtail, ymmv.

mark90
    Free Member

Generally small category populated by pinners. Those choosing to go without the skills compensator 160mm enduro bikes can usually ride pretty well. Check the results for a few enduros on roots and rain you’ll typically see the times in the HT category are not too shabby at all.

spooky211
    Free Member

Good mix of abilities in the HT categories I’ve raced in. Raced 5 rounds of the SES in 2016 and my times would typically be top 15-20 in master. You’re definitely quicker on a full sus overall (depending on terrain obviously) but the gap between the 2 isn’t as big as you might think.

kayla1
    Free Member

Each time I’ve had a FS to fetch to a race I always wished I’d brought the HT instead because I’m not fast enough or strong enough to get the most out of a FS so end up having more fun rattling about on a HT. Still not slowest mind, including some of the fellas’ times… 😀

finbar
    Free Member

I did Ard Rock on a 26″ Dialled Bikes Prince Albert last year. It was pretty damn sketchy and I felt like it cost me a *lot* of time, but I’ve not done it on a FS to compare.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I race enduro on a HT and love it. Age category or Hardtail category is irrelevant, sold my160mm FS and bought a second HT. I just have more fun on a HT, get bored very quickly on the 160mm FS (Transition Patrol) even though I got some good results racing on it.

Paul-B

HArdtail Enduro is ace. Small catergory so there’s a nice sense of community. I’ve done a few rounds of the WGES on mine. Used to ride in Masters on a 160mm FS but find the HT much more fun

scandalousgareth
    Free Member

I did the Ard Rock on a 2010 Orange P7 last year and had no problems with any of it, the bike was more than capable enough – my fitness on the other hand…

skaifan
    Free Member

I ride/ race hardtails exclusively. Did ok at the swinley enduro in the HTs. Top 30% overall about 2 minutes off the class leader. (Scottfitz). As has been said, small category with some very handy rapid riders in it. If you’re fast, you’ll still be fast and if you’re beating a lot of the bouncy bikes, so much the better! The most important part of your bike is always going to be the nut holding the handlebars.

benpinnick

Its basically easy – all you have to do is ride like this: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483932/

scottfitz
    Free Member

Its basically easy – all you have to do is ride like this: <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483932</span>/

I have raced Tom plenty of times and not even come close. Ironically the closest I have ever got (within 6%) was at a DH race in 2013, he was on a FS (Spech Enduro) and I was on a HT (Dialled Holeshot). I’m convinced that was the fasted bike I have ever races or maybe I just felt fast.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

haha. All sounds very fun.

I don’t race.

But good stuff to read this post.

Cheers!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail enduro racing’ is closed to new replies.