Home Forums Bike Forum Guidance to service 2009 140mm Fox Float RL Open Bath

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Guidance to service 2009 140mm Fox Float RL Open Bath
  • pooletim
    Free Member

I am trying to service a 2009 140mm Fox Float 32 fork that originally came on a Gary Fisher Roscoe, but can’t find any service instructions.  I already have the service kit from TF Tuned (I’m in the UK).  I’m pretty sure that it is the open bath model – there is no red knob on the bottom of the fork leg.

The Fox website doesn’t list my forks, probably because they are old, but does have a search by model/serial number.  Unfortunately I can’t find a model or serial number anywhere on my forks!

Can anyone post a link or send me the right service document please?  It’s driving me crackers, and it’s more frustrating because I found information for my RockShox Rebas on their website really easily last year.  Lot’s of the links on posts about Fox Float 32 servicing are broken – presumable Fox changed or removed them.  I realise that the 2009 Fox Float is quite old now – older than the Rebas.

From the Googling that I have done it seems that the 2009 Fox Float 32’s are relatively simple forks, and so I guess that the servicing should be very straightforward.

I’m guessing that I need to follow many of the steps in this video:

Including:

1) Remove the lowers
    2) Drop the oil out of the bottom of the lowers
    3) Remove the air spring, inspect seals, clean if necessary and lubricate with the Slick Kick from the TF Tuned kit:

https://www.tftuned.com/32mm-fox-refresh-service-kit-09/p2752

I found this bath oil volume chart on the Fox website:

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=530
    I’m assuming that I should follow the amounts in number 27 for my forks.

4) Replace the dust wipers and foam rings, soaking the new foam rings in what oil?  Float fluid, lower lube mix or RSP suspension fluid?
    i) Also lubricate the dust wipers with the Slick Kick

5) Re-fit the air spring and then add the blue Fox Float Fluid to the top of the air spring side

6) What to do with the damper side?  Here’s my guess:
    i) Remove the top cap on the uppers
    ii) Pull the rod down to force the oil from the middle of the three compartments up into the upper one
    iii) Tip the oil out
    iv) Pull the rod down to remove the damper from the upper leg
    v) Inspect the damper seals for wear, clean and lubricate with the Slick Kick and push back in the uppers, leaving plenty of space at the top
    vi) Pour 160 ml/cc of red RSP suspension fluid into the top of the uppers
    vii) Replace the top cap

7) Turn forks upside-down, slide lowers back onto the uppers – leaving space to be able to pour oil into the holes at the bottom of each leg
    i) Pour 30 ml/cc of the lower lube mix into the bottom of the air spring leg
    ii) Pour any (?) of the lower lube mix into the damper leg

8) Push the lowers fully back on and fit the crush washers and nuts/bolts

Any advice, service documents/links, concerned questions and “stop right there, do not do that!!!” gratefully received!

spxxky

Turn the forks upside down – you should see the serial number punched into the bottom of the steerer tube

bigyinn
    Free Member

As above, however, to get most of the oil out of the damper, you carefully insert a small pokey thing in one of the 3 ports at the bottom of the main damper assembly which pushes up a sprung washer, then holding the pokey thing in place, cycle the damper shaft up and down a few times and that should purge the remainder of the oil inside.

Wipe the legs clean with an IPA soaked clean cloth and swill a bit of IPA in the lower legs (covering the top and bottom holes) and empty out. Allow the IPA to evaporate as best you can.

With the foam washers, I’d recommend soaking them in the normal lube / damping oil, NOT float fluid, as its too thick and sticky.

pooletim
    Free Member

@spxxky

Perfect – spot on, I found the serial number, thanks!

The only problem is that the serial number search didn’t provide a service document for the forks *sigh*.

pooletim
    Free Member

@BenjiM

Thanks for your reply; I did see that document, but unfortunately it only covers installation and setup, not servicing. :(

pooletim
    Free Member

@bigyinn

Thanks, I think I’m set to do it!

This video has some useful shots of the damper in my forks too, I think: https://youtu.be/FU3r3tGbn2I

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Guidance to service 2009 140mm Fox Float RL Open Bath’ is closed to new replies.