Home Forums Bike Forum Greek gravel: Skiathos or Skopelos?

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by IHN.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Greek gravel: Skiathos or Skopelos?
  • CliveA

I’m making a very quick visit to the Sporades in Greece, in late October. Only enough time for three days of cycling.

I’m flying in to Skiathos, but the ferry to Skopelos looks an easy option.

So, for anyone who’s been there, some questions:

1. Which of the two islands would be best for some hilly gravel riding?

2. How’s the weather likely to be in late October?

3. Though it’s gravel riding I have in mind, I have the option of taking a mountain bike instead or my gravel tourer, if more suitable. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Clive

andos

Not been to Skopelos, but there is certainly plenty of hilly gravel riding in Skiathos. I didn’t take a bike to Skiathos but i did explore a lot of the back roads by 4×4 and I dont think I saw a bike of any kind, only quad bikes and Suzuki Jimnys.  Didn’t see any marked mtb routes- the hiking paths we took were all footpaths with gates etc through private farms and definitely not for bikes. Not sure about weather in October but it does seem prone to thunder storms.

Whatever bike you take, I would recommend mtb type gearing- the back roads are all properly steep- some of the gradients were scary in a car.

jkomo

I have no specific info on those islands but…
    You can’t go wrong with a hard tail and quick tyres. IME a lot of the islands interior are gravel- but take the direct route, not a lot of switch backs, they are old goat herder roads and go straight up.

andos

Hard tail with fast rolling tyres would be my choice as well. As posted above, some of the tracks are silly steep so definitely mtb gearing.

136stu
    Free Member

Just one thing to consider about riding in Skiathos, you need to take your drink and food with you. There are literally no villages in the hills, absolutely nothing once you leave the main road in the south until you reach a beach in the north.

IHN

Just one thing to consider about riding in Skiathos, you need to take your drink and food with you. There are literally no villages in the hills, absolutely nothing once you leave the main road in the south until you reach a beach in the north.

From what I remember of Skopelos, similar applies.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.