Home Forums Chat Forum GPS tracker for theft protection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GPS tracker for theft protection
  • the00
    Free Member

I know a GPS tracker won’t stop the theft, but might give me some peace of mind that I have some recourse if it does happen.

I had a bike stolen in May from my van, which is why I am curious for a solution for my new bike. I see some specific bike products, but nothing that looks ideal. Some feedback would be great.

My father has just had a an outboard pinched from a small boat on a tidal morning, and I was thinking about something for that application too.

I can also see some none bike specific options, like Vodafone curve for example.

Any feedback or experience appreciated.

footflaps

Battery life is the main problem, most don’t last more than a couple of days without a power supply. I think the Apple airtag things are a pretty good solution as they last a year, but obv rely on nearby iPhone to locate them.

finephilly
    Free Member

Basically the smallest you can get with a decent battery life is 10cm x 5cm x 3cm (or thereabouts). Or connect to the battery on an outboard / e-bike.

Better off with markings/uv paint and bike register, or the solutions described above.

CountZero

AirTags do rely on an iPhone, but there’s something like a billion of those around the world. I’ve actually seen a bike tail-light/reflector that attaches to the seatpost, and which has an AirTag inside it, battery life of an AirTag is about a year, and batteries are standard 2023 coin batteries.
    I’ll see if I can track down the review.
    There’s a whole bunch of different ideas here;

https://picclick.co.uk/AirTag-Bike-Mount-And-Universal-Rear-Light-Fitting-124734038064.html

CountZero

This is the one I saw originally, just a really simple ziptied case to hold an AirTag with a reflector on it, but there are mounts that will take an AirTag and an LED light as well as hiding them underneath saddles.
    Personally I like the light mounting with an AirTag inside, much less obvious.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-airtag-Bike-Reflector-Stand-/384278827813?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GPS tracker for theft protection’ is closed to new replies.