Home Forums Bike Forum Goldilocks Garmin mount

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Goldilocks Garmin mount
    bikesandboots

The included double O ring mount is good except it won’t stay in place when wet or on rough ground. You can glance down at it easily but it’s not too much of a distraction in your eyeline either. If you crash or drop the bike it’ll rotate out of the way or come off.

I’ve been using the 76 Projects top tube mount which is also good. Stays in place, quite a sheltered position but will snap in a crash or if you knee it too hard which is good to save your Garmin’s tabs. But I do clip it with my knees reasonably often, half removing the rubber case from my 530 or half rotating it out of the mount. Also not that easy to glance down to check the map at descending speed on offroad terrain, at least with how quickly my eyes can change focus nowadays. No good for eMTB though as the display is on the top tube, and the orientation is wrong for sticking it to your handlebar.

Some of the lights (Magicshine) have Garmin style clamp mounts giving the same position as the O ring mount. Not all are actually Garmin compatible, and they don’t have that sacrificial insert part to break in a crash instead of the tabs on your Garmin.

Anything in front of the stem, too distracting. On top of the stem or top cap, too vulnerable. Stem spacer mount turned to the side, orientation is wrong.

There is a Varia mount for a 31.6 seatpost which would probably fit a 31.8 bar, has a bit of an angle to it but not too much. Maybe ok if you clamp it lightly, and that’s your bar diameter.

Any recommendations ?

mashr

Sounds like you found your right mount in the first paragraph. I don’t have a problem with mine moving on rough ground, but I don’t have those wee bands on pretty tight

pothead
    Free Member

Been using a 530 with top cap mount for years, never damaged it and it’s only come off once in many many crashes (I found it after the crash when it came off), best option I’ve found so far

bikesandboots

Sounds like you found your right mount in the first paragraph

Er,

except it won’t stay in place when wet or on rough ground

I ride MTB in the UK all year!

StirlingCrispin

I have just fitted a MagicShine bar mount.

This is the mount I’ve been looking for over many years.

https://amzn.eu/d/2fZyBNY

fathomer

If you don’t have a multi tool in your steerer, a top cap I found the top cap mounts best. Now I have a OneUp tool, I use the an adjustable one like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315695419441?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2qmofw_srem&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YBE63KEJQfW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

bikesandboots

This is the one I mentioned, be careful with it though unless I’m mistaken:

they don’t have that sacrificial insert part to break in a crash instead of the tabs on your Garmin

onewheelgood

I’ve never had an issue with the o-ring mounts. Just use the smaller o-rings and make sure they’re really tight – oh, and make sure that you are using the rubber spacer under the mount. That said, I now use out-front mounts on most of my bikes and just take the risk of crash damage.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Have used o ring mount, never had it move, but currently on out-front mount and crashed twice of merit and still no damage to the Garmin. Pays your money makes your choice.

James

rudedog
    Free Member
    reeksy

I use the stock Wahoo mount that cable ties on to the handlebars.

This works great because it’s not in the centre where my light goes, but is easy to see, and doesn’t get knocked off. If there’s a really hard impact the cable ties will slide, but it’s not moving anywhere under hard riding conditions.

Top tube mount is the worst of all worlds for me. It’s a bad location for looking at and on the first ride I tried it I spent 15 minutes walking back up a track to find where it had flown off having unclipped from the mount when hit by my knee!

bikesandboots

Just use the smaller o-rings and make sure they’re really tight

I’ll try this and slide it along all the way to the thick part of the bar.

Top tube mount?

No good for eMTB as I mentioned.

Top tube mount is the worst of all worlds for me. It’s a bad location for looking at and on the first ride I tried it I spent 15 minutes walking back up a track to find where it had flown off having unclipped from the mount when hit by my knee!

Yeah I only use it for navigating trail centre fire roads, easy roomy terrain and I’m usually crawling uphill. I loop the lanyard around a brake hose in case it gets knocked off.

reeksy

This is the mount I’ve been looking for over many years.

That doesn’t quite look the same as the MagicShine bar mount I had a few years ago. I hope they’ve improved. It was truly the worst light mount ever. Would rattle loose, scratched the shit out of my bars, and ejected the light into the rainforest somewhere on my way home. Never managed to find it.

I loop the lanyard around a brake hose in case it gets knocked off

I bought a lanyard for the Wahoo after that incident and loop it round the bar for peace of mind.

bens
    Free Member

I’ve had kine on top of the steerer for the last 2 years and it’s been fine. Had plenty of spills with it mounted and it’s only popped off the mount once. I wrap the elastic strap around the steerer so if it does come off the mount, it’s still attached to the bike.

The only minor annoyance is if I have to flip the bike upside down for some trails side maintenance, I have to remember to remove it but for me, it’s the least vulnerable place to have it mounted.

I did use the out front mount for a while but reversed so it pointed back towards me rather than kitting out the front. That worked ok but depending on your bar height and stem spacers etc, might not hold the Garmin at a good angle to be able to see the screen

mmannerr

K-Edge has some interesting mounts:
    Garmin Mounts

I’m thinking of changing top of stem mount to front mount on MTB too, have one on gravel already. It might help to see the display better with glasses on and it would be out of way.

nickc

I use a short stem mount  I bought the K-Edge one, although they can be found cheaper. Puts the Garmin right in your eye line, and clears the steerer mounted tool.

mashr

I ride MTB in the UK all year!

Seems fairly normal, mine survives just fine doing the same. Mount close to the stem, the shortest o-rings you can get away with, twist them if you need them even shorter/tighter. Shouldn’t move anywhere.

bikesandboots

The varia mount is no good. Bit too much of an angle, sits up from the bar, and there isn’t much 31.8 space before you get to the bendy bit that isn’t round – you need clearance to rotate the unit in without the stem being in the way.

Smaller o rings it is. Will add grip tape if still sliding.

snotrag

Have you got the rubber spacer underneath the hard plastic Garmin mount? I’ve run them on handlebars for years and years with just the to-ring mount and never had one move!

bikesandboots

Yes. I think I’ve just had it on the bendy bit of the handlebar so the o rings weren’t tight enough.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for a lanyard – regardless of which mount you use.

rickmeister

As per snotrag.. there is a shaped rubber gasket to go under the plastic mount. If its missing it might be why its slipping.

Daffy

Just use a small out front mount and mount it backwards so that the twist lock is over the stem.

scotroutes

You can get the o-rings a bit tighter if you cross them over in an X fashion rather than them being parallel.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

It’s definately worth trying Raceware – if they don;t list the one you want just drop them an email and they can probably make on for you
    Raceware Direct – Custom Cycle Components – RaceWare Direct supply custom made 3D printed cycle products manufactured in the UK

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.