Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Go-to cheap tarp and bivi?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Is it still army surplus from eBay? There are also cheapo tarps at like £8, should be ok for light use no?

whitestone
    Free Member

What’s the material on those? Something made from 30D Silnylon should be cheap (and light and compact) enough for most usage. If you are using the bivy with the tarp then it’s really only to keep condensation and a bit of spray off you so doesn’t need to be the full army style “kip out in a fox trench” weight.

Are you after a one man or two man tarp? Where do you intend using it? Etc. More info required.

molgrips
    Free Member

Two man tarp at this stage. Usage would be either the local woods, or somewhere in the Beacons, doesn’t really matter at this stage. The plan is to take my daughter out bivvying, that’s all.

I’d expect my feet to stick out from under a tarp if I had my head far enough under it to stay dry, so waterproofing would seem important. But whatever I buy has to be cheap. Weight isn’t terribly important at this stage either as we will most likely be on foot to start with. But biking might happen in the summer.

rene59
    Free Member

Rubble sacks are cheap.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are with your daughter then it’s likely to be summer so no real need for a bivy bag with a decently sized tarp.

OK, not cheap (now an eyewatering £99 😵 ) but as an example the Alpkit Rig7 is massive for two adults, you’d have to be over 2m tall to come anywhere near having your feet (or head) sticking out. It’s 2.4m x 2.8m in size and weighs 550g.

Rig7 tarp

If you are handy with a sewing machine you could make your own: Sew a couple of lengths together and along the edges then use a punch to fit eyelets.

CraigW
    Free Member

£25 tarp from Lomo? 3m x 3m. Includes pegs and lines. http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/3×3-tarp.html#SID=100

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Molly, I think I still have a wee bivvy tarp, and tbh I’ve no intention of using it again. If so, I’ll send some pics, you can have it for the postage.

DavidB
    Free Member

Why not go on a good weather day/night and forget the tarp?

If so I can lend you a bivi bag

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are with your daughter then it’s likely to be summer

Not sure why you’d think that, but in any case it still rains in summer :) Tarp is what I asked about. Plus these are going to be inspiration Christmas gifts so they are likely to be used straight away.

I have a 3x3m tarp but it’s very large, also not square so it can only be pitched in the saddle formation. The Lomo one seems square but I think that’s likely to be too big for a cheeky bivi. Having said that, it might be nice to have that much space.

Nobeer – that sounds great – can you PM me pics?

scotroutes

I have a 3x3m tarp but it’s very large, also not square

Chinny reckon…

Mountain Warehouse do a budget bivvy bag. Not breathable, so you’d need to make sure you have your head out of it – usually not an issue if you are under a tarp.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can pitch square and rectangular tarps in many configurations, it just needs a little thought (and practice in the garden). The Rig7 I showed the photo of can be stealthy if you think about where you are pitching.

When you say “3m x 3m but it’s very large, also not square” are you talking about two different things?

You know, a little accuracy in describing what you want rather than us having to guess might be useful. (tongue very gently in cheek)

mick_r

Decathlon tarp is 1kg and £20.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chinny reckon…

What do you mean?

The corners are tapered, and two of the corners are different to the other two. It’s shaped to be pitched like this:

When you say “3m x 3m but it’s very large, also not square” are you talking about two different things?

No I was talking about the tarp I already own. The one I want to buy will be different in that it will be smaller, hence the comment.

redstripe
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon tarp, have used ours loads inc. off the side of the van as a shelter, still fine.

whitestone
    Free Member

But 3m x 3m is square! Which is why I questioned what you’d written.

OK, how much smaller? 500mm in each dimension? 1m?

A tarp of 2.4m x 1.4m will fit two people at a squeeze but a little wider would be better. That will sleep two adults without sticking out at either end.

lesshaste

left field and probably won’t get here for xmas, but how about this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TrailStar-Outdoor-Ultralight-1-2-Person-40D-Nylon-Sides-Silicon-Pyramid-shelter-tent-for-hiking-camping/32912878924.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.10.679e6b4bNpVavg

I’ve used one for a couple of trips, its roomy enough for two, strongly made and works really well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I can find it Molly

molgrips
    Free Member

But 3m x 3m is square!

Not if it’s just the maximum dimensions. It’s got pointy corners, I think two of the corners are different. It never seems to go up well if I try and do a pitch other than the one pictured.

Whatever I need for two people to sit under and eat/cook I guess. 2.4x2m maybe. Dunno. I’ll work with whatever is cheaply availble I suppose. The point about the Army Goretex bags is that they are likely to be fully waterproof so the tarp only needs to cover heads.

I don’t fancy the pyramid shelter type thing – the point of tarp camping for me is that you are still outside. I have a tent if that’s what I wanted.

whitestone
    Free Member

I know what you mean about tarps – even if I’m being really cheeky being in a tent feels like, well being in a tent.

A 2.4x2m tarp is big enough to sit, cook and sleep under without any part of you being outside it. A couple of poles say 1.2m and 1m will give you enough options about pitching. Do a search for “tarp” on here – Bearbones blog <- linky

molgrips
    Free Member

Found an army surplus dealer (why are there so many?) on eBay with two bivi bags for £30 each, they also had tarps at 2.4×2.2m which looks to be a pretty manageable size. It’s not clear from their pics but most of the others of the same brand (Basha) seem to show several cord loops along the edges and some loops along the middle, which would give good options for pitching. I already have some poles if I fancy a spot away from trees, but I’ve seen some CF options I might investigate at a later date.

eviljoe
    Free Member

left field and probably won’t get here for xmas, but how about this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TrailStar-Outdoor-Ultralight-1-2-Person-40D-Nylon-Sides-Silicon-Pyramid-shelter-tent-for-hiking-camping/32912878924.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.10.679e6b4bNpVavg

I’ve used one for a couple of trips, its roomy enough for two, strongly made and works really well.

Dammit, knew I shouldn’t have looked.. now I have 4 tarps !

nixie

Decathlon tarp works for me. Most of the weight is in the poles which I never take anywhere.

senorj

Dd hammocks do good tarps.(as well as hammocks) cheapish.

timber

DD tarps/hammocks as mentioned by senior J above. We have the big versions at work and have bought them for schools as part of local forest schools groups.
    Robust rather than flyweight, plenty of decent tie points. Some pegs and guys with them. We add some pretty paracord as they are mostly hung between trees to improve chances of seeing the cord before strangulation/tripping. Few little loops of cord for prussiks so to not directly pull the tie points when hanging.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not breathable, so you’d need to make sure you have your head out of it

Not sure if serious?
    You’ll also be piss wet with a heavy sleeping bag in the morning if it’s not breathable

molgrips
    Free Member

Few little loops of cord for prussiks so to not directly pull the tie points when hanging.

Can you find a pic of what you mean?

timber

Apologies, bad spelling.
    Prusik is a gripper knot that you put around your hanging line and then complete the loop by tieing to the tarp attachment point. Then you can slide the prusik to get tension, bit like a tent guy rope. Need at least 3 wraps for a good grip.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

molgrips
    Free Member

I know of prusik knits, just never seen them used for that. I use a clove hitch usually.

lesshaste

Sorry Eviljoe, you’ll love it though!

TheWrongTrousers

The Dutch army hooped bivvy bags you see on eBay are great

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Go-to cheap tarp and bivi?’ is closed to new replies.