Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin out front mount / light underneath

• This topic has 36 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by TiRed.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Garmin out front mount / light underneath
    joebristol

On my road bike I have a garmin out front mount with an edge on top. Ideally I’d attach a decent light underneath it – maybe 600 lumens peak power but with lower power constant settings. This is because I ride partly on an unlit cycle track but partly on the road. I have a small exposure trace on the handlebar on flashing mode as well.

I have a couple of older Moon meteor lights but if I mount them upside down under the mount then the charging ports are facing up – so even with a rubber cover I wonder if water will seap in a break them.

Looking at the mount I’m not quite sure how something attaches underneath – looks like maybe a different kind of twist in mount standard?

Ideally something would twist into this so I can remove the light quickly as I leave the bike in a work bike park all day.

So far I’m wondering if I could get something that twists into there that then allows a light to quick release in / out.

Any ideas?

Garmin front Vario might work – but I don’t want to have to constantly be screwing / unscrewing a GoPro style mount.

Maybe exposure have a mount option?

honourablegeorge

Ravemen do a light that fits a Garmin mount, and has a Garmin mount on top

mikeyp
    fossy

The Magic shine one looks ideal TBH – been out for about a year, and the cut-off is ideal for the road.

midlifecrashes

Not quite the answer to your search at only 300lm, but i like the idea of this. Sits under the Garmin without taking bar space, and can use its battery as a power bank for other stuff.

roadworrier

I use a bit of a bodge…

You can attach a Quarter Turn handlebar mount to the base of the Out Front mount.

So, I use the hooks on that to attach an Exposure Tracer to the underside of the OutFront with the rubber bands that would normally attach the quarter turn mount directly to the handlebar.

The bonus is that you can now quarter turn this mount to remove it altogether.

The Exposure Tracer just about sits against the cut out of the mount that would normally rest against the handlebar. This bodge is totally secure and I’ve never lost the Tracer yet.

Garmin Qtr turn

You can detach the lock-ring and the light in one go, or just unloop the band and take just the light.

It’s not exactly 600 lumens though, but the principle could be applied to a similar cigar-shaped light (like a Joystick).

beamers

Any suitable brackets in this lot?

I’ve got this Outfront bracket with this adaptor underneath to attach my Tracer to.

escrs
    Free Member

You could buy a Garmin Gopro adaptor mount to fit to the bottom of your Garmin mount, then attach an Exposure Trace Gopro mount to that so it moves your Trace light from your handlebars to underneath your Garmin freeing up space on your bars to fit a light for seeing where you are going that can be easily clipped in and out when need be

This is what i did on my work bike, so my Exposure Trace is under my Garmin and my Exposure Diablo is ftted to the underside of my the bars using the standard mount, both are quick and easy to remove/fit as they just clip in and out

t3ap0t
    Free Member

I have one of these AliExpress specials as recommended by someone on here. Not used it a whole lot because it lives on my road bike rather than my commuter, but seems pretty good, there’s some sort of beam cutoff and I angle it down a bit to be sure. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006614516848.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.5711SRusSRusRg&algo_pvid=1fffe859-395c-496c-ac03-596a8483e17a&algo_exp_id=1fffe859-395c-496c-ac03-596a8483e17a-3&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21GBP%2115.79%2115.79%21%21%2120.37%2120.37%21%402103854617268362403733615e9a69%2112000037838356637%21sea%21UK%212796833130%21X&curPageLogUid=d7yTYrqnA90T&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

I have the Garmin out front extended mount that came with my 1030. On the underside it has this connector https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/511RXHHbTjL._AC_SX679_.jpg and I have one of the gopro style connectors shown in that pic so that once you’ve put the screw in then you can just remove and install the light by doing a quarter turn.

Light is on the heavy side but seems to stay put at the correct angle.

joebristol

Cool – cheers guys. So it’s looking like I need the below adapter to give a friction / go pro adapter on the out front mount.

IMG_6293

Then it’s finding a light that attaches to it – ideally not meaning I have to unscrew the light everytime I go to work.

One of the exposure clip in mounts would do the job I think – maybe just with an extra rubber band round the light to make sure it doesn’t fall out the bottom if I hit a pot hole.

I do have an exposure axis I use for nightriding off road I could put in one of those but it’s a little overkill / I’d rather not hammer the battery on it with commuting.

The Sirius might do the job – but it’s quite pricey.

Will check  out the magicshine light above and a few other brands that have light to GoPro type options.

edit – the magic shine 1300 looks like it could work

cookeaa

The Go-Pro underslung mounts works well for me, I have a couple of lights with these, and lots of adaptors are available.

The best feature (IMO) is being able to set the angle independently of the mount. While I like the minimal size of the  Raveman FR160 and similar 1/4 mounted lights, it seems like the light’s  angle is effectively fixed by the mount(?) and I wouldn’t want to have to tweak my Garmin angle along with my light.

fenboy

I’ve got that Magicshine light for commuting and bought some go pro adapters for another bike with an out front mount. i got an out front mount that bolts to the stem fixing plate with a go pro mount under. (Lifeline i think so struggle to find one now), also a lot of the Lezyne lights can be fitted with an adapter to attach a gopro mount too.

Lights ok but has cut out randomly a couple of times otherwise good spread for road, paths etc. Wouldn’t buy at full price.

escrs
    Free Member

I do have an exposure axis I use for nightriding off road I could put in one of those but it’s a little overkill / I’d rather not hammer the battery on it with commuting.

My Exposure Diablo has been fine for commuting for the last 5 years, gets used 5 days a week, sometimes twice a day, still on the original battery, still lasts a week of commuting before needing to be charged (around 3 hours total use for the week)

joebristol

Guess I could give the axis a go – or I have a moon GoPro mount so I could use my existing meteor and just stick a bit of tape over the charge port for extra protection

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have that exact setup on my winter bike. A garmin out front mount with the garmin made underneath mount. I then bought the bontrager adapter and run my nice and powerful bontrager ion light underneath.

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/products/bontrager-blendr-road-ion-light-mount

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Trek/Ion-Pro-RT-Front-Light/JE2L

tall_martin

I run a Garmin no on top, and GoPro to exposure with my exposure diablo underneath .

I don’t run it at full power, mostly on low with it flashing.

It’s and older 1200 lumen one that’s had plenty of use. The battery is still fine for a 10h ride.

So if suggest your axis will be fine. If you are worried about the battery why not get a exposure support cell? They aren’t cheap, but if you were considering another light they are comparable

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I use one of these ZRACE garmin/go pro mounts

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EvXUWSD

And then an exposure GoPro adapter to mount a strada rs or revo depending on which wheels i am using. https://www.condorcycles.com/products/exposure-lights-3-prong-action-camera-mount-to-exposure-cleat?variant=37191108952214

Racewarw direct also have mounts for the smaller exposure lamps https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/exposure-gopro-mount-with-security-tabs/

joebristol

Cool thanks – I’ve ordered the garmin go pro bolt in mount.

Going to try the moon first as that involves no extra outlay. Next option after that is the GoPro mount from exposure that’ll fit the axis.

Would like the Strada but that’s mega £££ for a 14km commute (each way).

andrewh
    Free Member

Has anyone tried that Raveman thing George mentioned? I need a front light for my TT bike (club rules, even daylight) and fitting any sort of bracket to a aero TT bar is tricky. That Raveman one under the Garmin would be perfect. Are they any good?

joebristol

Not used one but the lens is very flat and the lumen output isn’t that high. It feels like it’s more of a be seen sort of light than massively light your way. Looks like a neat solution as long as your out front bracket is at the right angle for the light. If you have one of those stem mount out front brackets you aren’t going to have any angle adjustment.

benman
    Free Member

I’ve used the moon meteor and storm lights upside down, attached with the go pro mount for years. Had no issues with water getting in the charging flap.

joebristol

Thanks @benman – guess we’re going with that then! Think mine is the meteor vortex pro or plus or whatever it was called about 5 years or so ago

TiRed

My bikes all have K-edge combo mounts with an Exposure joystick underneath. Works a treat. The Joystick mount stays on the Go Pro base it makes charging trivial. The Garmin light is good and the mount above neat, but it is just for the one bike  I have this system on three road bikes and swap light

IMG_5374

TiRed

These are fitted to all my K-Edge mounts  will take the Diablo too

Go Pro fitting Light Clip

Daffy

Exactly the same as TiRed.  K-Edge XL combo (you might not need the XL unless you have an Edge 800 or above) with the £8 Exposure Go-pro underslung mount.

I’d also recommend a lanyard wrapped around the bars.  I’ve never had one come loose on the MTB or Gravel, but Bristol’s pot holes managed to shake (smash) one loose!

P20

Garmin and Light Mount ~ Morsa or Something Else?

I went for two different options!
    the Morsa has options to run a small bar that you can use any round light mount or a go pro mount.
    the prime is basically a copy of the k edge design. Both work.

I probably prefer the k-edge/prime style

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ P20 did the Morsa kit come with the second mount in the box as it were?

P20

From memory you can spec it how you want. I originally bought it with the small round mount, but actually prefer the go pro and exposure cleat combination for my Strada light. All depends on which light you run and how you cables are I guess

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks

TiRed

For TTs I use a Cateye Orb front light. I modified it by removing most of the strap and sticking it onto the stem with a long thin strip of duct tape. It survived 100mi races fine and is aero.

For road, The K-edge is just excellent. It’s not cheap, but quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

IMG_4576

poah
    Free Member

Dymoece Out Front Bike Computer Combo Mount for Garmin Edge Gopro

or

Corki Bike Mount,Extended Out-front Bike Holder for Garmin Cycling Computer Edge Compatible with 31.8mm/25.4mm Handlebar

TiRed

BTW one of the advantages of the Exposure system is the ability to swap lights on the fly. I often carry the Joystick in a back pocket and a Boost under the Garmin, and can swap them when the Boost is running low. Works well on longer club rides that run into the evening. That isn’t an option with other lights like the Garmin. But the Garmin light is a nice piece of kit, it’s just the unmounting that takes time. I don’t use a lanyard. There are plenty of cheaper K-Edge copy mounts available, but I’ve not tried them. The K-edge mounts are all excellent. older ones (that still have the plastic interchangeable computer insert) can have the Go Pro mount added underneath. But very first generation older all-alloy mounts cannot (I still have one of those).

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/K-Edge/Combo-Mount-GoPro-Interface-For-Garmin-Mounts/6CMA

And 20% off the Combo mount now. Still a lot more than the copies,

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/K-Edge/Garmin-Max-Combo-Mount-318mm/11ICN

P20

Found the photos of the mounts mentioned above

IMG_3831IMG_3830IMG_3832

mmannerr

I have yet to test this properly but I changed my front-of-the-bars computer mount on other side of the stem so the computer is offset and this leaves room for Lupine Frontclick bar mount which mounts on both sides of the stem. There is even a small Restrap bar bag under all this.

I did it this way as it allows switching lights to other bike easily – with my lights the GoPro adapter attaches with screws and wouldn’t want to mess with that often. I don’t know yet if the offset computer is too annoying in use. 

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

I’ve got an outfront mount, with the quarter turn adapter. I’m running a Moon Rigel underneath which comes with the correct mount (go pro) to attach directly to the Garmin mount. The Rigel’s come in several different versions with different lumen outputs. Have been running that for about two years and its solid, never had a problem so far (I’ve just jinxed myself haven’t I).

jimdubleyou

raceware 3d print literally 100s of options.

TT bars – https://www.racewaredirect.co/shop/garmin-exposure-trace-tt-extension-mount/

Garmin + GoPro/Light Mount for TT Extensions

For the exposure mounts, they do ones with security tabs for smashing through your favourite pothole…

https://www.racewaredirect.co/product-category/exposure-lights/

TiRed

raceware 3d print literally 100s of options.

For TT I’m a bigger fan of 76 projects. Their mounts allow Garmin to be set a different angle to the ski poles, unlike Raceware, but retain a mounting for a small light underneath (as per CTT regulations). I have their 3.0 TT mount on the trike and 2.0 on the geared TT bike. Another company that does one thing, but does it well. https://76projects.com/collections/tt-triathlon

Some options for mounting things to MTB/gravel bikes too, if that’s your thing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.