Home Forums Bike Forum Freerider EPS … any good?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Freerider EPS … any good?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Managed to resolve the “Flat winter boot” conundrum for a few years, but I can’t find any more FiveTen Tennie boots anywhere.

Anyone tried these: need to be warm/water resistant etc.

Or, any other options?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/five-ten-freerider-eps-high-mtb-shoes-2018/rp-prod152877

chakaping

They are superb, but go half a size up on your size in older Freeriders.

My review: http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-five-ten-freerider-eps-high/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know a few people who’ve tried them, they’re not waterproof, if you stand in a puddle you get wet. Not as wet as you’d get in the normal freeriders, but still wet. I’ve been umming and ahhing over a pair as a lot of places have them for ~£50, but the lack of a proper waterproof membrane just makes me think they’ll be a bit useless?

Having said that I can’t really see why the Tennie would have made a good winter shoe, so if you’re happy with those then they’ll be great.

pipiom
    Free Member

Thanks guys

I’m not sure why, but the Tennie ticked all my boxes. I have particularly cold hands/feet from previous medical issues (and old age) but they just worked: my feet never got wet, and I never lost feeling in my toes.

I think if I can find a pair for the price you’re quoting there, I’ll give em a go.

Tried the “hiking boot/5:10 resole option once, but found the sole hard and inflexible, with reduced grip.

pipiom
    Free Member

notaspoon…..where have you seen them at £50?

FOG

Had a pair from when they first came out and have to agree with tinas, they are definitely not waterproof  but worn with waterproof socks they give  reasonable winter protection. Still searching for the holy grail of a proper winterised flat boot/shoe. And yes, they do seem to dry quicker than standard Five Tens

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bought a pair of the high top EPS when (I think) Sportsdirect had them going cheap.  I have all the reservations tinas mentions but I’m going to coat them in dubbin, wear some waterproof trousers in the hope water will run over rather than into the shoes and give them a go this winter.  If that doesn’t work I may be forced back onto clipless for the duration

canopy
    Free Member

fwiw – i have the non high versin and they do good. until i go in something too deep (obvs)..

after a few soakings have had to use one of those shoe shape devices to stop shrinkage (as my toes would hutr after rides) but thats sorted it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

notaspoon…..where have you seen them at £50?

They’ve been on sportpursuit and I think wiggle had them cheap for quite a while although not anymore, google still find a few places selling them for ~£62.

facian
    Free Member

I have these and they’re super warm, but as said above not fully waterproof.

You won’t get water in from general riding/puddle splashes etc. but the goretex-looking parts do gradually absorb water and it wicks into the shoe from there after a few stomps in puddles/deep mud. You may be able to waterproof those parts of the shoe though, and then you’d only have to worry if water came in the top (like you would with any shoe/boot.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys that’ll do for me.

vincienup
    Free Member

Where are people seeing discounted EPS hitops?  Just had a quick google and not finding any myself. Wouldn’t mind a pair, the regular EPS’s I have are great but hitops would be better!

aldo56
    Free Member

I got some really cheap on Sportpursuit too. They aint 100% waterproof due to the large hole in the top where your leg goes in, however, they are FAR superior to my old standard Freeriders for general Scottish riding.
    If it’s absolutely chucking it down and you are riding through deep puddles, burns, lochs etc you’ll get wet but I find them excellent for general sloppy trail riding.

I don’t find them overly warm though so I’m interested how they’ll be when it gets cold. Wore mine at a damp Aberfoyle at the weekend in 11 degrees and they were perfect.

craig24
    Free Member

Also got some off from SP, for the price I can’t complain. For general winter use there spot on.

vincienup
    Free Member

Pipiom, Cheers! 😁

ogden
    Free Member

Freerider ELC are worth a look, can be had for £55. More of a shoe than boot but the flap makes them pretty water resistant. I really like mine.

jes
    Free Member

First ride on Sunday with the high top version, I got from Germany for £66.

Is was dry so can’t comment how good they are in the wet, but look the most protective of all the different five ten I have used over the years.

Would be perfect with a boa system and/or lace flap.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They may not be totally waterproof, but they’re better than any other Five Ten I’ve used for waterproofing (old Impacts, Impacts with Elements, basic Freerider and Freerider Elements).

They simply have a one piece less porous surface on the front. Not had a full on sloppy/wet test yet, but they’ve been through a few deep puddles recently and been perfectly dry, and some mud slop and the stuff just wipes off. I’m sure standing in a puddle it will soak through though.

Doesn’t mean they’re ideal for everything. I find them a bit stiff and prefer the regular Freeriders which is softer and has more ventilation on a hot day. However I have both. Keep the EPS for shitty days, plus also for anything gnarly enough where I might whack foot on things as they seem more protective. Nice to have a spare too when one does get too wet/muddy.

Northwind

Mostly rubbish for UK use imo. Warm when dry, not warm when wet, not even as water resistant  as the old Elements (they put loads of effort into making them seamless and gussetted and that, then made them out of leather instead of something waterproof- splashes can drive straight through) So I waterproofed the crap out out mine and now they’re sort of half decent. I’ve had great results with them in the proper cold- ice, dry snow etc- but that’s really not that common for us, mostly in the UK you get warmer and wetter, or cold with occasional outbreaks of snowmelt or streams, and they’re just plain bad at that. In melty snow they’re awful. I’ve kept them because they’re ocasionally useful and because frankly I’d feel like a right prick selling them to someone else.

I really rate the Guide Tennie, it’s not as good for feel but it’s so much better with weather, it’s a no brainer for me- wish I could find some gtxs. Honestly it feels to me a bit like we’re being trolled by Five Ten, they obviously have all the tools and the skill to make a good winter flat shoe and they keep not doing it. Sombrio X-Shazam was decent too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Freerider EPS … any good?’ is closed to new replies.