Home Forums Bike Forum fox 34 performance – service or upgrade

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • fox 34 performance – service or upgrade
  • petefromearth

Got some Fox Float 34 performance on my hardtail. They’re about 18 months old and have been ridden a lot. Starting to notice grease on the stanchions after a ride so I’m thinking they are due a service, or at the very least new seals.

Aware that they are Fox’s entry level fork, so is servicing them worthwhile or is now a good time to think about either upgrading the internals (if that’s possible) or treating myself to a new/better fork? Latter option is a little extravagant!

alan1977
    Free Member

performance elite? not rhythm?

rhythm is the entry fork, basic damper, heavier materials

personally, I’m looking to upgrade my rhythms on my top fuel to performance elite (curved arch), its either that or pikes that fit my bill

petefromearth

I think they are the Elite with Grip damper but will check when I’m home

mashr

alan1977Free Member
    performance elite? not rhythm?

Performance are an OEM option somewhere between Rhythm and Performance Elite (Ryhthm internals with Elite metalwork iirc)

mboy
    Free Member

Performance are an OEM option

Incorrect

Available aftermarket too, though more rarely found than the Factory versions…

Only Rhythm is OEM only…

Kramer
    Free Member

To my mind, the main benefit of upgrading to Performance Elite is more damping adjustability. If you’re likely to use that then great, go for it, however if like me, you aren’t then I’d get it serviced and save your money and spend it on something else.

My bikes have got a ’22 Fox 36 Performance Elite and an old ’17 Pike RC. I can honestly say that as long as they’re both decently set up and serviced I don’t really notice a difference from one to the other.

dc1988

The Performance are very good forks and don’t give much away to the more expensive models. I’d service and keep them, any upgrade will cost a lot and not be of much benefit

mashr

Incorrect

Available aftermarket too, though more rarely found than the Factory versions…

Only Rhythm is OEM only…

I stand corrected. Think it was just from generally seeing them pop up on CRC/Wiggle that must’ve made me think that

dc1988

I think “Performance” is used by other brands as a lower end product which might confuse things.

petefromearth

Ok, just had a look and I can’t see Elite or Rhythm written on them anywhere, just Performance, and it’s only got rebound adjustment

So I guess that means I’ve got the OEM version

They’ve been pretty good overall, and a step above what I had on my previous bike, which were some knackered Rebas. I like the simplicity and in fact I haven’t touched them at all since the initial setup

I’m mainly curious whether being able to play with compression damping might make them feel a bit more supple over fast small bumps

IANASE

rudedog
    Free Member

For that, you would need to upgrade to elite to get the HSC adjustment

dc1988

Have they got the three position compression adjust? The Performance aren’t OEM, they have the same chassis as the top end ones but a more basic Grip damper (still very good). IIRC performance elite has the more adjustable damper then the factory has kashima coating on top of that.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Put the model number from the back of the CSU into the Fox website and it will tell you exactly what model they are:

https://tech.ridefox.com/bike

As for upgrades, the TruTune Flow insert might be a cheap way to make them more supple over small bumps.

Flow

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.