Home Forums Bike Forum Fox 34 Float Rhythm pre load advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox 34 Float Rhythm pre load advice
  • kernowgaz

I’ve just come back from a long weekend of biking at Cwm Carn and Afan, after a few downhills  my hands starting to hurt after I did the Cafall trail at Cwm Carn on the Friday.

I lowered the pressure before we started to ride on the Saturday morning to about 100 lb as I’m about 95kg and thought that would be better but my hands still hurt. My friend recommended I should try and adjust the pre-load so the beginning of the stroke would be a bit softer and easier on my hands and wrists. Does anyone know how or even if I can adjust the pre load on a pair of Fox 34 Float Rhythm forks?

kelvin

Pre-load tends to be a term used with coil not air shocks.

I find with the 34 Rhythms that running the compression damping as open as possible (adjuster on the top of the right leg as anti-clockwise as it’ll go) works well for what you’re after.

benpinnick

There’s no preload as they are air forks. You can adjust the air or the damping. You might find it is the opposite issue of too soft thats the problem. Cheaper forks tend to suffer from the problem of chokey damping, which means it all feels fine until it isn’t. You smash through half the travel then you end up hitting high speed damping and air ramp at the same time, and the fork stops moving abruptly, which you feel through the hands.

I would consider adding compression damping (the top dial) as a possible solution, dissapating more energy in a linear manner from the start, so that you don’t get it all at once later in the stroke.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agree with the above comments. Air pressure may be too low and causing you to run too deep into the stroke. Rebound may be too slow causing the fork to pack down further into the stroke.

Also worth keeping in mind that suspension helps with, but doesn’t eliminate the heating you get from going hard and it’s always a balance between comfort and performance.

kernowgaz

Cheers both, the right hand dial is fully open I think but I will check that later. I thought it was like my old forks where you can lock them with the right hand dial. So what does the right hand dial do?

Regarding the pressure being too low, I’d already lowered it from 115 to 100 lbs and didn’t really notice the difference. Its the first time in ages I’ve done any biking like that, so maybe my hands need to get used to used to it again.

kernowgaz

And with regards the pressure, I might have lowered it too much. One thing I will say is the trails are a lot rockier than I remember but the muds probably been washed away with the trees being cut down that used to stop the rain washing the mud away.

Mind you, it was still great fun.

kelvin

Right hand dial opens/closes the slow speed compression circuit. Fully clockwise applies so much damping that it locks the fork, fully anti-clockwise is the minimum amount of damping (note this does not mean no damping). There’s also a rebound damping control on the bottom of the fork, under the black cap. That’s where to look for changes next.

mjsmke

Did you use all the travel?

Could see if their are any volume spacers inside and remove 1.

kernowgaz

I used about 125mm of the 150. It’s more the beginning of the stroke is more harsh instead being a bit softer I think.

dartdude
    Free Member

Where’s you based Gaz as can offer hand setting up if near Plymouth

kernowgaz

I live in Saltash, what a small world.

rudedog
    Free Member

How often do you normally ride and what type of riding?

pembo6
    Free Member

I’ve had that fork and those pressure seem a little high.

I completely agree with the others thsat say sometimes too low pressure can feel harsh due to hitting the ramp up too early. I’ve had that happen several times on other forks. But I was around 180 lbs and running 80psi in my Rhythm 34 and it felt great, so i think 100 psi might be a little high. I had zero tokens. If installing tokens, generally reduce the psi a little.

I beleive the compression dial is overall compression, not LSC. So by dialling in some compression, unfortunately you are increasing LSC support (less diving = good) but also increasing HSC which I found made it harsh. That’s when I started noticing the limitations to that fork, after having other forks with dedicated LSC/HSC so you could dial in a little LSC support but still keep the HSC wide open to keep it plush.

goldfish24

Not familiar with that fork but having recently gone through the 1 year service on my rockshox forks, it’s an absolute revelation (no pun, they’re SIDs) and has improved small bump sensitivity massively.

Another point, and especially since you mention you haven’t ridden like that in a while, is to think of technique. Make sure you’re not slipping into a death grip on the bars. Keep hands loose and allow the bars to move.

citizenlee
    Free Member

If it’s a Rhythm with GRIP damper isn’t the compression either on or off? I don’t think turning the dial to varying degrees changes anything, you’re either open or closed. At least that’s how it feels on my 36 Rhythm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.