Home Forums Chat Forum Flat roofs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flat roofs
  • samsibke
    Free Member

My garage has a flat roof, which is over 30 years old. I will need to get it replaced at some point, would anyone have any recommendations of which type to get and a roofer.

I am based in NW London.

thanks

mikey74
    Free Member

They’re not cheap but there’s some really good liquid applied roofing membranes out there now. Sika, Bauder, Icopal all do them.

They are easy to patch and renew in the future as well. Another coat renews the warranty, rather than having to replace the roof covering itself.

piemonster
    Free Member

If you end up going with EDPM it’s very easy to work with, you be able to DIY not repairs.

jimdubleyou

We’ve just had loads of work done, and the builder was very keen on GRP roofs – garage, extension and loft conversion dormer all done with the same stuff.

Looks good, not sure on brand they used, but Sika does ring a bell.

Apparently lasts 25-30 years…

nickjb
    Free Member

I did our extension with fibre glass should last ages and was fairly straightforward even on quite and awkward shape. For the workshop I went with profiled steel. That was a much simpler shape and was very quick, clean and hassle free. I’d happily do either again but for a garage or workshop I’d go with steel

samsibke
    Free Member

Thanks I will have to do some research and find someone local.

nickdavies

Find a local roofing co who is recommended and see what they say.

I had quotes for all the options for mine, and every one of them offered a different solution and why it was better than the rest.

I decided in the end every system had pros and cons but the system installed the best would last the longest, went with TPO from a long established local fitter, bought the company not the roof I suppose as I’m confident they’ll sort any issues but none yet.

drnosh
    Free Member

Convert to a pitched and tiled roof?

Extra storage space, and will outlast flat roof coverings.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

If looking at liquid systems I’d also recommend you check  out Triflex liquid roofing systems.

The installer though is every bit as important if not more so than the system. Go on the installers reputation.

Single ply membranes for example are  often not well regarded in the industry these days more due to poor application over the years.

You can use a good material but it can be ruined by poorly welded laps and seams .Single ply is easily punctured too. Seen brand new roofs leaking like sieves in new builds where other trades have dropped tools or fixings on new single ply.

Liquids are fully bonded so if damaged the leak is limited to one area and is easily repaired.

jim25

I can recommend a few roofers local to you if you send me a message.

samsibke
    Free Member

Thanks Jim, will do

takisawa2

rubbaseal.co.uk are very good. I did mine with one of there EPSM kits. Was about £300 all in, & an easy days work.

samsibke
    Free Member

thanks will check it out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flat roofs’ is closed to new replies.