Home Forums Bike Forum Flat pedals for gravel

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Flat pedals for gravel
  • thinksta

I’m 3 rides into my new gravel bike now, with background in mountain biking – so far so good.

While a lot of people might suggest going clipless next, I’m keen to stay on flat pedals for the time being – it makes it easier to get out riding on any shoes and there seems to be good evidence that a lot of the “efficiency benefits” of clipless don’t really exist (unless you’re racing/sprinting).

So what do I need to take into consideration when buying flat pedals for gravel riding, or is it the same factors as for mountain bike pedals? (I guess they don’t need to be so robust for gravel…)

WildHunter2009

It’s worth considering that with no suspension and smaller tires you get bucked about a bit so a decent grippy platform is quite nice. Iv got DMR vaults (admittedly pulled from the MTB temporarily) on mine and other than looking a bit silly work well.

I’m considering maybe a pair of the DMR plastic pedals as a cheap light alternative to spd now.

nedrapier

mostly the same factors – light weight is nice, low profile is nice.  But you don’t need ultimate grip – massive pins and a big platform aren’t required.   You want a comfy profile as your feet are going to be in the same place for longer.  I don’t like the old V8’s I’ve had on my commuter – the concave profile, the small width and my foot placement mean that the outer pins/edge dig in a bit on my right foot.  Fine for short rides, uncomfortable over 15 miles.

I’ve got Wellgo MG1s on my gravelly bike – had them 13 years, done 20K plus miles on them, they’re not very low profile and they’re missing a couple of pins, but they’re light, nice and comfy on long rides, and even though I’ve never touched the bearings, even to adjust the preload, they’re still spinning smoothly. Pretty amazing, really!

I’d probably look at composites.  DMR V2s on the family errands/nursery run/sit-up-and-gravel bike are doing well.  Present from STW, I think, for re-subscribing a few years ago.

desperatebicycle

If the Nukeproof Horizons are still cheap on CRC, they’re a no brainer

honourablegeorge

I have the OneUp and Crank Bros Stamp pedals, both in the plastic versions, I’d say either is perfect for a gravel bike

chakaping

I’m considering maybe a pair of the DMR plastic pedals as a cheap light alternative to spd now.

Not tried them on my gravel bike, but the V11s have been excellent on my trail bike.

I have considered trying flats on gravel, but clips are fine for me and I’d only be putting more wear on my shoe soles with flats.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

<p>Just use your preferred mtb pedal. Burgtec for all my bikes 👌🏻</p>

I’m a big fan of Superstar Nano’s on the mtb – plenty grippy with five tens.

They were half price not long ago with a code NANOXX (I think). Don’t know if they still are

DSC05324 by davetheblade[/url], on Flickr

zerocool

Just be careful of toe overlap with the front wheel. I had this on flats with my old road bike after I get fed up of uncomfortable roadie shoes.

ton

metal dmr v12 here.    nearly 15000 miles on them since new, no service needed yet.

ampthill

I think it’s just the save as MTB flats

I have vaults on both. They are equally terrible on both. Pins ripped out and laughable sealing

gowerboy

I have stuck a pair of Pinnd pedals on my Fargo and so far I like them.

prettygreenparrot

I use the same kinds of pedals on all my bikes. Superstar nanos. They come with loads of pins and have been reliable.

cakefacesmallblock

I have HT plastic / resin jobbies on my gravel bike . No issues this far and it’s done a few gravel/ dirt track and even single track miles now, as well as some longer distance lane / road stuff. Missus has Hope F whatevers on hers … similarly happy. Both of us from a flat pedal , mountain bike background though.

oceanskipper

Like you I was resistant to clipless and I had some Shimano PD-GR500 pedals on my HT which was basically used as a gravel bike, but while they were really grippy, the threads on the pins chewed up my soles. I switched to some  Supercaz Krypto pedals which have smooth pins and that solved that issue. But, neither were any good for long rides (40 miles plus) as I got all sorts of foot aches and pressure type discomfort so I switched to clipless with stiff soles. Now, no more foot pain on rides up to 100 miles.

ampthill

That is the issue. Pedals is easy. It’s finding sufficiently stiff just shoes. Mine are via ferrata shoes. But they don’t make them any more :-(

fazzini

Just be careful of toe overlap

I get toe overlap regardless of pedal/shoe combos, especially with mudguards on.

I’ve had shimano spd’s with relevant shoes and shimano road spd’s with relavant shoes, now on Nukeproof Horizon and the same Spesh 2F20s I use on mtb. Flats and 2F20s afar and away the most comfortable.

Northwind

I used to do flats on my cx bike, I found in the end that my favourite ones for that, were exactly the same as my favourite mtb flats, for all the exact same reasons. I thought I might get away with less grip but tbh at times I was glad of every bit. I assume it’d be just the same. I did end up with stiffer shoes though.

tomhoward

SPRY

Crazy light, grippy enough.

Northwind

They seem to have invented the Wellgo MG1 :)

garage-dweller

Honestly I’d just ride something with a decent sized platform. I think I ran some dmrs on mine until I switched to spuds. Big platform for preference for all the pedalling.

paton
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

i like that those Xpedis are 276g per set, but there’s an asterisk and a note below saying they’re 340g

Northwind

The star applies to a couple of the colours. That’s a LOT of paint!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.