Home Forums Bike Forum Flat Mount Caliper Conical Washers?

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by pipm1.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flat Mount Caliper Conical Washers?
  • pipm1
    Free Member

I’ve got a flat mount Shimano Tiagra front caliper that isn’t sitting flat as it should. The disc is touching one pad at its lower edge at one side & the other pad at its upper edge, making the disc always touch it. It didn’t come with conical washers & I’m not sure if fitting them on flat mount caliper is even an option – is it possible?

K

Get the mounts faced.

pipm1
    Free Member

Thanks, I was thinking that might be the solution.

bikerevivesheffield

It’s the only solution

pipm1
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll take it to my LBS to get done. :thumbup:

Onzadog
    Free Member

Let us know how that goes. I’ve got a feeling that a brake facing kit isn’t something most shops have in the workshop. They should have, but not all do.

pdw
    Free Member

When I had this it was just paint overspray and cleaned up with a knife. Probably worth checking first.

pipm1
    Free Member

I used a blade to remove the paint/clearcoat that was on it yesterday. But it didn’t make any difference.

pipm1
    Free Member

Update: I took the forks to my LBS last week or the one before. They didn’t have the fancy tool to align the mounts to the axle, but they recommended returning it under warranty as that’s what they’d do. So I contacted the online shop I bought them from & they collected them. They got back to me today saying the forks as OK as-is. They sent a video back:

[/url]

To me they still don’t look right in the video. The gap varies from being straight, to a triangle. It doesn’t help that the rotor isn’t straight. And maybe the pads aren’t touching the disc as the pads aren’t extended enough or something, or mine run closer to the rotor.

Anyhow, they’re sending the forks back & I’ll swap the rear/front calipers around & see if that helps, as I swapped them during this build as I used the rear caliper+hose on the front, because the new frame has a longer wheelbase. I doubt one caliper is out of whack, but I guess I’ll see.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.