Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 192 total)
  • First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”
  • doomanic

Tink? Or Twink? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What sort of pub has any of those?.

doomanic

Only the best pub in the world!

dmorts

Makes me glad that I ride around in solitude…

At first pass I read that as Solihull 😂

northernsoul

In the US/Canada the problem is not so much dicks on bikes as dicks who have the power to outlaw bikes from being ridden in certain areas with dubious reasons.

If our gun laws were aligned with the US all the problems with buzzing tyres etc could be resolved so much more quickly…  😉

rocketman
    Free Member

we were at a trail centre today, cannock being my nearest and a place we perhaps go to 4-6 times a year

I’m literally a mile down the road and I go 3-4 times a week. I reckon 1 in 10 maybe 1 in 5 bikes are ebikes

ebikes have really messed things up this year with it being so dry. They have basically dug a rut all the way round. On some switchbacks you can see where they’ve gone straight up through the undergrowth to the next corner. The outside of every corner is strewn with rubble and off camber corners are rutted and crumbling. I’ve seen them spin up riding round puddles, overtaking, exiting berms, going over a bump you name it.

Riders fall into one of the following categories

* proficient – often ace – MTBrs who want to go loads faster and ride further. They have the skills and the fitness to pass everyone anyway and when one of these comes past it’s like an MX bike

* what you might call average MTBrs who for whatever reason prefer to ride an ebike

* useless **** who otherwise wouldn’t venture more than 25 m from the car park

Sadly the last category seems to be the majority

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha saw the last catagory bouncing off all the trees on the black at kirroughtree last time i was there.

clearly the type of rider who wouldnt have ventured beyond the red but the motor  gave them the ability to get up to the top of the black .

their skill set and the fact it was a 50lb hardtail ebike with shit forks did not let them get back down without many excursions into the  undergrowth.

i  A. almost felt it my  civic duty to stay with  them  and ensure they got off the hill safe and B.,was enjoying the kamikazi style with which they approached every  obstacle.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Bloke I have not seen for a couple of years turned up on one tonight for our social ride. He has had some health issues and put on a bit of weight. The only time I noticed it was an E-bike was on a fire road climb when he turned it up to Froome mode and flew off up the hill. Other than that it was just allowing him to stay with the group, enjoy his ride and not slow everyone else down.

When and if my time comes I would have one in a flash.

Was a nice bike too. Di2 etc Christ knows how much it set him back. But if it gets him out and maybe back on the normal bike one day it is surely money well spent.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was at Llandegla a couple of weekends back with Jnr FD.  Aged 8 he is slow especially on climbs so I tend to stay behind him and check over my shoulder quite often to make sure no one is coming up behind as he weaves his way along a trail.

I completely missed an ebike coming and he flew past my son just as he wobbled to the side a bit, it made jnr FD jump.  The guy flew off in to the distance very very rapidly (ie not legal speed)

Its the same old isn’t it though with ebikes.  People don’t like being held up by someone going slower than them, whether that’s someone walking slowly infront of you on a footpath, someone riding a bike on a road when your in a car, some one doing 60mph on a motorway.

What people should do though is accept if they want to travel quicker that they need to approach slowly and only overtake when safe to do so.

Unless you are an awesome amateur elite rider, then you should shout ‘elite’ and barge your way passed.

strike
    Free Member

I do wonder where the whole e-bike thing is headed.  I am certainly pro-e-bike in terms of the concept and how they can enable (like others on this thread, I’m sure my time will come when it’s the logical choice for me), but my various thoughts are as follows:

– possible scenario of them being equated with electric motorbikes, especially when they’re de-restricted and the follow-on consequences.

– what the wider implications and knock-on effects could be for ‘normal’ bikes in terms of regulation and off-road access issues.

– as previously stated, the damage to built-trails which they can inflict.

– will we start to see e-bike bans in this country, just as I’ve already observed in some US bikeparks.

Perhaps things will work out fine, there won’t be wider negative issues and it’s just a reaction to new technologies i.e. the normal worries.  We’ll see soon enough!

northernsoul

especially when they’re de-restricted

Is this planned (genuine question)? The current law does appear to place some restrictions for use e.g. on bridleways, but I’d imagine that in the case of trail centres it’s up to the owner/manager to set he rules…

geex
    Free Member

He means when the owner removes the 15mph motor asistance limit from their Ebike

15mph is a pretty lame limit TBH. You can pedal a normal mtb along the flat faster than that. Above 15mph a restricted Ebike pedals just like a normal bike only 20lb heavier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“15mph is a pretty lame limit TBH”

Not really. It’s faster than the average MTB ride

It’s faster than most folk do “utility” cycling at.

If you want a moped for cycling to work faster get a type approved one and register it as an s,pedelec

Electric Mx bikes have no place at trail centres (that is bikes powered over 15mph)

kerley
    Free Member

I ride road/gravel and average over 15mph so would an eBike even be faster for me?

Probably why I am not bothered about them,

trail_rat
    Free Member

Probably not designed for you. .

I average over 15mph most of time how ever I have an email cargo bike that when ever it reaches a hill is a serious winch — live atop a hill. .

With the motor assist it’s perfect to go shopping . Even fully loaded it does 15mph all the way to my door. Average journey times are not any slower than my commuter. The effort level can be as much or as little as I want and the main one. I don’t arrive where ever I’m going sweaty…..despite averaging a similar speed to going quick on my commuter

montgomery
    Free Member

Using an e-bike instead of a car is a good thing.

Using an e-bike instead of a bike…hmm, possibly not so good, for a number of well hashed reasons.

weeksy

Using an e-bike instead of a car is a good thing.

Using an e-bike instead of a bike…hmm, possibly not so good, for a number of well hashed reasons

Using that logic, using ANY bike just for leisure and pleasure is a bad thing ? They all have manufacturing costs, shipping costs, earth natural resource costs…. Surely we should just be walking barefooted then ?

colp

Using an e-bike instead of a bike…hmm, possibly not so good, for a number of well hashed reasons.

Unless you can’t use a normal bike though injury or age

Unless you have limited time and you want to get in maximum riding

Unless you want to ride alpine terrain without lift assistance

Unless you want to self uplift tracks

martinhutch

The only difference between an ebike and a non-ebike is that the former allows dicks to behave badly on the climbs as well as the descents. The central problem is still dicks.

There are posts this week on the Gisburn facebook page about children being spooked into crashing by intimidatory riding and horse riders being abused by assorted arseholes on bikes. I very much doubt this is a purely ebike phenomenon.

The only reassurance is that the worst examples of this appear to be restricted to trail centres, so I’m unlikely to come across them.

benp1

I have an off road section that I can commute on, it’s 1.6 miles long (which for London is very long!)

I do on my commuter bike, it’s uphill on the way home, and has quite a lot of walkers on it. I do about 7-9 miles an hour up it, I realised last night than an e bike would be way quicker!

No need for one at the moment, but I would happily get one if I needed one (by which point the tech will be amazing!)

jimxc
    Free Member

Ran into a lot of them at Coed Llandegla a few weeks back. I usually ride at night there to avoid the crowds but was showing a mate around on a sunday afternoon. On two sections we encountered them to be rude, obnoxious louts lacking in any sense of trail etiquette or general bike-common sense i.e. waiting to pass. We did JJ’s jumps and then on the climb back up a group of at least 10, just came storming through. Some pushing between us, some round the side without a single word. We’re both fast XC guys and weren’t hanging about, picking our line, out of the saddle side by side. Suddenly you’re having to sit down and try to not be knocked off. Prior to this, leaving the black DH section called Dave The fox, there’s a steep, technical climb. We were approaching it and i looked back and saw the same group coming, we pushed hard but they caught us and again tried to get past. i HAD to close the door on them to avoid getting knocked off or losing my own safe line, a line i know works to get up the thing. Ricky opened the taps and took them on beating them to the top.

DJC75
    Free Member

I wish I’d been there to see you closing the door, and Ricky opening the taps. I’ve got a semi just thinking about it.

geex
    Free Member

On two sections we encountered them to be rude, obnoxious louts lacking in any sense of trail etiquette or general bike-common sense i.e. waiting to pass. We did JJ’s jumps and then on the climb back up a group of at least 10, just came storming through. Some pushing between us, some round the side without a single word.

Vs

i looked back and saw the same group coming, we pushed hard but they caught us and again tried to get past. i HAD to close the door on them to avoid getting knocked off or losing my own safe line, a line i know works to get up the thing.

Ricky opened the taps and took them on beating them to the top.

All of the above mentioned riders sound like a bunch of fannies to me.

Seems you don’t all have the excuse of being noobs on ebikes though.

#GoRicky!

doomanic

Cool story bro.

couchy
    Free Member

There’s a lot of anger here, I can only imagine being non ebikers that you get upset as the world cup events have limited entry numbers so a lot of you miss out on being in your rightful place amongst other world class riders and have to slum it at a trail centre.

I’m very confused as I have a normal bike and an ebike and don’t know which ‘mob’ I belong in 🙁

somafunk

Ricky opened the taps and took them on beating them to the top.

Swoon……..how does ricky manage to ride with such large balls?

matt_outandabout

I’m very confused as I have a normal bike and an ebike and don’t know which ‘mob’ I belong in

The riding bikes mob.

Welcome in, the water is warm.

Ignore the oddballs in the corner.

kerley
    Free Member

Swoon……..how does ricky manage to ride with such large balls?

He rests them on his taps

Paul-B

Cannock is full of dicks…stay away. Thanks.

What I will say is that I’ve seen guys on e-bikes riding at inappropriate speeds on shared trails weaving through dog walkers etc. Would they do the same on clockwork bikes? Possibly but the speed would be lower so may not be as dramatic.
    I’ve also seen lots of guys in big groups riding clockwork ‘enduro’ bikes carving up the hillside cutting new unsustainable trails but that’s for another thread…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

They’re banned from airlines and a lot of the chairlifts in the Alps aren’t they?

So normal bikes will be for decent riders, e-bikes will be secondary bikes or primary bikes for useless bimblers.

couchy
    Free Member

Aha that’s it I’m in the useless bimbler mob. Phew I have a home at last 😀 so what’s the etiquette for letting the fast non ebikes pass me ?, they will be passing won’t they ?

phil5556

Every ebiker I’ve met on the trails has either had a laugh about how lazy they are, had a chat saying we should try one, said thanks as they’ve gone past or just said hi.

Maybe it’s friendlier in Scotland but no issues, just people out enjoying themselves same as me.

FWIW I fancy giving one a try for a day, reckon it would be a good laugh.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I was distracted when I wrote that.

E-bikes will be secondary bikes for decent riders and primary bikes for bumblers. They aren’t replacements for normal bikes. You can’t put them on planes, a lot of chairlifts won’t take them, you can’t race them unless it’s an e-bike specific event, e-downhill bikes are a bit unwiedldly and nasty compared to their enduro derived cousins.

colp

I wish I’d been there to see you closing the door, and Ricky opening the taps. I’ve got a semi just thinking about it.

🙂

chvck
    Free Member

so what’s the etiquette for letting the fast non ebikes pass me ?

I got overtaken (uphill) on my ebike at the weekend. The guy was quite confused, he’d never overtaken an ebiker before :D.

plus-one

My only e-bike encounter was on the red climb to minch moor early last year maybe spring. Three guys on Ebikes had stopped to take a selfie they asked me to join them in pic 🙂

We had chat/laugh about e-bikes and we parted ways 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m gonna chime in on this. They are really starting to wind me up too. I keep hearing people coming up behind me and being competitive I often put the hammer down when I hear that (Don’t we all). I’ve recently blown myself up thinking “jeez this guys fast i cant shake him and he keeps buzzing my tyre”. So I pull over having been maxxing HR out for a minute or two… only for it to be some overweight 25 year old on an Ebike..not cool!

onehundredthidiot

Cuts both ways had a great chat with two blokes at thorneliee they were friendly and knowledgeable about their ebikes but first encounter was spooky wood climb where a guy shout “ebike, let me pass” I didn’t as I was entering a corner but pulled slightly over (as I would for a faster normal bike) to give him space and allow me to continue my climb. Thanked with a “**** sake” mind you no helmet, jeans and a hi Vis vest. His son on the second ebike had just knocked the Mrs off on a corner. He was pedaling up to it the free wheeling the corner obviously the power switched off and he stalled, at every single corner. I hope they had a nice day but decided it’s not for them.

phil5556

@chilled76 Not as chilled as your username suggests.

iolo
    Free Member

I do bike tours along the Danube. Last summer I had a buggered knee (bone marrow infection). I borrowed an ebike for 2 weeks. That meant I didn’t lose any work. It was perfect until my knee got better.
    I said hello to lots of people and smiled, even passing them on uphills.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”’ is closed to new replies.