Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

My 2p – I see lots of e-bikers, my riding mate likes to  give them some stick for whatever reason but they don’t bother me. They’ve always sat in the usual spectrum of personalities I’ve met at trail centres.

However I’ve visited Cannock about 4 times from memory and suffered complete and utter Nuggets every time. Still a small minority, but a very vocal one! I don’t know why, but It seems to attract arsehole riders like no other place on Earth.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tire buzzing is unacceptable on any bike by anyone.

Should have ejust cut his battery leads with your gransfors bruks.

Just ordered a new battery for my ebike 🙂

nickc

I’ve visited Cannock about 4 times from memory and suffered complete and utter Nuggets every time

very much this, Swinley is the worst for it, followed by Cannock, then Llandegla

vondally
    Free Member

Binners post resonates with me, being riding a using Gisburn since the mid 1990’s and thrilled to see it’s development I to a great trail centre, mainly riders are brilliant – met a young fella pushing three bikes to the cafe from the crags after two riders he did not know got injured we have him a hand – then you get the other extreme of bad tempered ignorant arses who are Strava chasing or just trying to be something fantastic in their world and negatively impacting on others – e.g five male riders who surrounded my eldest daughter attempting to stay with her on a climb to slow her down and chat her up, and then got abusive when she asked them to leave her alone through to seeing riders fly past little uns and scaring the life out of them, however the most ignorant arses are the ebikes who charge around so aggressively  it is unreal, I have been forced off single-track climbs by ebikes charging through, told to shift as they have right of way and generally have to deal with idiot behaviour.

But they are now moving to the fells and one off road climb seems to attract a couple of riders who love to power up and zip along and be oblivious to any other users, it is the move from undeerstanding how fragile our access is to this self entitlement of I will do what I want, when and how that worries and angers me the most.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Have folks genuinely had their tyres buzzed? You know actual contact? Or is it just someone sat on their wheel?

If you’re sat on my wheel & want to pass just ask.

But buzzing a strangers tyre is the height of F-whittery & you do it to me & you won’t do it again! You & your bike will get launched off the trail!

First rule of life: Don’t be a dick.

vondally
    Free Member

Genuinely tyre buzzed on more than one occasion on singletrack climbs

roverpig

I ride my bike off road twice a week year round and have still yet to meet one. That may explain why I still have a relaxed, live and let live, attitude to them. But threads like this are a concern. Are they really a majority in some areas ?

Of course twunts will be twunts, but up to now I’ve always been able to drop them on the first climb and enjoy my day.

nickc

I guess it depends on where you ride? I live near Hebden and it’s a honey spot for MTB, and they’re definitely becoming more popular. it’s rare I don’t see at least one or two a ride (although regular mountain bikes still outnumber them by an order of magnitude)

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few ebikes on my local trails, they have tended to be ridden by older guy’s and they have always seemed ‘alright’. Cool story, I know, but I’m not seeing why there is so much gnashing of teeth over them. Some of us will ride bikes, some will ride ebikes, and there will always be dicks out there.

Living nearish to the OP, I went to Cannock once, about 15 year’s ago. It was alright, but I’m pretty lucky and have better from my door. And this thread certainly is not selling it to me, which seems a shame as I guess a lot of the work done down there is by volunteers and all round decent eggs, who are pretty committed to the place.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I said previously we’re not weekend warrior types and preferably ride the local stuff. But with the nephew who is 13 and just finding his feet cannock is ideal, if we were to take him to say black rocks (local spot) he would spend more time pushing than riding which is enough to put anyone off. I was speaking to my lad who is also 13 who was further up the trail whos been riding trail centres since he was 8 and he said he had seen them literally charging up behind us and wondered what they were trying to achieve.

Daffy

Loads appearing in Bristol – not a problem with most, but whilst there have always been an aggressive, selfish bunch of MTBers, they either appear in greater percentages on ebikes or they are just that much faster that they catch me on trails where a normal bike might not have, thus appearing more numerous than they actually are.  This is especially apparent when I’m riding with DaffyJnr as our average speed rarely exceeds 7mph.

Can anyone with an ebike confirm how much faster their average speed is on a typical ride when compared to a normal bike?

davosaurusrex

Ebike convert here, doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue on the South Downs as it’s not that busy.

I’d be furious if someone on any sort of bike buzzed my back tyre though. I barely ever ride trail centres but cant deny mtb has attracted a new breed of nobhead in the last few years and they seem to congregate at trail centres so I can well imagine ebikes would compound the issue.

The them and us attitude attitude to ebikes is stupid though, in many cases they are us. I know I am.

Drac

This has happened before EBikes nothing to with the bikes just dickheads who happen to be on bikes.

oldnpastit

They’ve started being banned from state parks in the US.

chvck
    Free Member

Can anyone with an ebike confirm how much faster their average speed is on a typical ride when compared to a normal bike?

Thing is, as with a normal bike, it depends. I did a ride yesterday with a mate (him on a normal bike and me ebike) and we averaged about 8k/h and at no point where I was tearing off and waiting for him. On the other hand I’ve done rides where I average 18 k/h and I don’t use it on max power either. At my fittest I’d have averaged 14-15. Now, I just wouldn’t be able to do the ride so it’s a lot faster in that sense 😀

davosaurusrex

On climbs they’re at least twice as fast depending on what mode you’re in and how much effort you put in. If you ride them at trail centres you need to go with the expectation you will be held up and unless there’s  a safe passing spot then sit at a decent distance back and deal with it

ganic
    Free Member

Trail centres are pretty well suited to ebikes even if that wasnt the intention.  People that ride ebikes are likely to be a combination of time poor, unfit, inexperienced and maybe abit high on the BMI scale.  Trail centres have cafes, are easy to navigate, not especially challenging technically and often have “escape” options.  Ideal for your ebikerists.

jam-bo

I borrowed a kenevo for a week. On similar loops with a lot of climbing my average was jumping from 8-9mph to 14+. On a 55lb DH bike. I think the levo would have been even faster.

theboatman
    Free Member

As I said previously we’re not weekend warrior types and preferably ride the local stuff.

Sorry bud, I wasn’t being sniffy. I spend a big chunk of time riding around the monsall/tiss trails with our youngest. I think taking her around shining cliff or up to Edale would put her off for life! I also get for a 13yo, Cannock would be more fun. I was badly trying to say I think it’s a shame when some folk are putting in a lot of hard work to make the most out of those trails and dicks are ruining for people.

doomanic

Nice generalisation there @ganic In the group I ride with there is only one fat bloke (me) and only one unfit bloke (me) and I’m broken anyway. The rest (about 10 across two groups) are the sort of people you don’t expect to see on eBikes. They all have several other bikes and a couple are more than a bit handy. We hardly ever ride Trail Centre marked trails either, unless it’s to get somewhere quickly, it’s as much off-piste as we can manage, so 20ish miles and 3k+ ft of climbing in a couple of hours.

LMT
    Free Member

I don’t think the issue is the bike, or Cannock is just the idiots it attracts, I’ve given up on Cannock on a weekend, luckily I get a midweek day off, this week 2, so I will get the train to cannock and have a blast round when no one else is about, much more friendly and fun.

Although would love a go on a trek fuel ex electric version they look great fun!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I met a couple of lads last week who rode from kingussie to tomintoul in a day on their ebike off-road.

I met them in tomintoul and again at the foot of culerdoch . I wished I had an ebike… The wind was horrendous. They were heading for braemar that day.

Followed by braemar to Blair atholl to catch their train.

They were polite courteous and generally nice chaps.

Does that help redress the concerns slightly.

I generally average around 6-8mph on a normal bike and 10-12mph on the Kenevo

ransos
    Free Member

This has happened before EBikes nothing to with the bikes just dickheads who happen to be on bikes.

No-one is arguing otherwise. Some are saying that ebikes allow dickheads access to new places. It’s an argument with some merit.

nhamer1976
    Free Member

Have folks genuinely had their tyres buzzed? You know actual contact? Or is it just someone sat on their wheel?

Not much tyre buzzing but it the sound of desperate braking that worries me. It makes me wonder of the bike behind me is under control and whether the rider will ancipate it when I slow up to pull up to the side of the trail.

And now I get it on the climbs too. Did I notice breaking bumps appearing on the upper and lower climbs at Cannock?

geex
    Free Member

Mmmm…

Will anyone be handing out some in the Tweed Valley this afternoon?

How close do I have to buzz tyres to qualify? Contact or non-contact?

continuity
    Free Member

Own them with some bombers?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Own them with bumming. That’ll stop them.

martymac

I ride an ebike, sometimes, but it doesn’t make me quick, it just lets me go at almost normal speed.

i’ve never buzzed a strangers tyre, i think it’s incredibly rude, and if anyone does it to me i will assume there’s something wrong with my bike and stop instantly.

Obviously, if I’m with my mates then tyre buzzing is totally normal then eh

forge197
    Free Member

Daffy difference in average for me so far around Llandegla 8.5mph average on my self propelled bike, and 10.9mph average on the assisted bike.

Took me 11 mins longer to get the Red/Black Split on the self propelled bike today.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

My average on a normal bike was 7.8 mph and on my ebike it’s 9.3 mph

However i,m 58 and tend to ride in ECO mode most of the time unless a hilll is big enough to warrant trail mode.

Still it keeps me out riding and I ride it exactly the way I rode my MTB.

For me it just means I can get some assistance on the big technical high peak climbs, and it does not affect my back injury and I can ride when I want rather then being in pain.

Never done a trail centre to much natural riding where I live.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve met two e-bikers out in the wilds of Pitch Hill now. First one was derestricted but the bloke was nice enough. I challenged him to a race up a steep climb and beat him on my xc bike.

Second was on the road climb up Holmbury and I once again instigated a race. Held him off for a while by staying over 15mph but then I blew up and he cruised past.

Not sure how I feel about them as a concept but I enjoy using them for motorpacing when out training.

If someone buzzed my back wheel they’d be challenged to a race also. I’d turn myself inside out trying to beat them

kerley
    Free Member

Not sure how I feel about them as a concept but I enjoy using them for motorpacing when out training.

Yep, got my best Strava time on a 3 mile mostly uphill segment (gravel)  Passed them on flat and used them to pace me on climbs if they passed me.  That is the only one I have encountered which doesn’t surprise me as I see very few people when riding around the forest at 08:00.

takisawa2

There’s a lot more to Cannock than the Dog & Monkey. Try heading to the quieter parts. I’d never choose to ride the Dog or Monkey at a weekend unless it’s very early or late. The car park gymkana puts me off for a start. Some lovely riding up the chase if you go sniff it out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

People that ride ebikes are likely to be a combination of time poor, unfit, inexperienced and maybe abit high on the BMI scale.

Horseshit.

geex
    Free Member

😆

theboatman
    Free Member

and maybe abit high on the BMI scale.

Obviously all of us on stw are lean riding God’s, but I have to say the above seems to equate to a hell of a lot of mtb’ers I see out and about.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had to check my bmi there to determine if it was true or not after a day riding around on my ebike….

What shocked me most was not that it’s 24 but that 24 on the chart is underweight…..those charts have defiantly had a feel good fudge factor applied.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m also intrigued by various people’s assertions that they’ve been “buzzed” by people behind  them on single track trails.

Do you really truthfully genuinely mean that they made contact with your back tyre and made a buzzing noise? Or that they were somewhat close behind you on the trail?

If the former then please please #$/^ them firmly in the face and #//#t them to death with a rock

I’m finding it difficult to believe that people could be such dicks.

jam-bo

Do you really truthfully genuinely mean that they made contact with your back tyre and made a buzzing noise? Or that they were somewhat close behind you on the trail?

My mate is worse. He’s considerably quicker than me downhill and if he catches me, sits a couple of yards behind, making cutting remarks about my line choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”’ is closed to new replies.