Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)
  • First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”
  • ganic
    Free Member

Expect it isn’t, I appreciate you might not want to admit it to yourself but in a country where 60% of the population are over weight or obese, ebikes and the generously proportioned go together like pie and chips.

colp

My mate is worse. He’s considerably quicker than me downhill and if he catches me, sits a couple of yards behind, making cutting remarks about my line choice.

That’s like my 16 yr old lad who is now a cracking rider but gives me a full debrief after every run on my poor technique, line choice etc.

Anyway, I just clicked buy on a Trek Powerfly 9 LT from Evans. £5250 down to £3750 then another 5% back through Quidco.

Ganic, let me know if you fancy getting out for a ride, I’ll give you a head start while I get a full English down my neck.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As for the buzzing it actually happened. Matey cock womble came flying up behind, hit the rear brake to skid/let me know he was there then when young nephew had a bit if a stutter on a rooty section seconds later he caught my rear tyre. That’s when he got the aforementioned **** off tablet.

Sad as I may be, I dropped the swinnerton  bike shop a quick email about it this morning as it pissed me off that much. They responded straight away and were as dismayed about it as I was, and assured me they would carry on making it clear to the hire fleet users that courtesy on the trails was paramount. Fair play to them for that.

Me and laddo are out local Wednesday and we’ll be lucky if we see a single person let alone a knobbish rider so that’ll do us.

geex
    Free Member

ebikes and the generously proportioned go together like pie and chips.

Probably all the free tablet. Will there be more on Wednesday night?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or, ganic fudge?

theboatman
    Free Member

Or, ganic fudge?

Chapeau 😏

doomanic

No, he’s right. I am the entire eBike community, although I’m not a fan of pie and chips. Curry is more my thing.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Benidorm bicyclists.

timbog160

Got passed by an ebike on the Marin trail yesterday – bloke asked very politely if I minded him nipping past on the outside – no problem all very civil.  I was also passed by a number of other riders (since I’m quite slow and unfit by mtb standards) – again everyone was very polite – maybe I’m just lucky 😊

BadlyWiredDog

But buzzing a strangers tyre is the height of F-whittery & you do it to me & you won’t do it again! You & your bike will get launched off the trail!

First rule of life: Don’t be a dick.

Internal dissonance much?

stevextc
    Free Member

On the singletrack climbs, I was constantly pulling off the trail as I had someone on an ebike sat on my back wheel.

Yep but I have to do that anyway when I’m pedalling a 160mm travel bike and other fitter people are on a light XC HT.   Then the whole thing reverses on the DH…

I think most of this is merely lack of awareness, my least fav thing e-bike riders do is stop on a technical climb forcing me to stop then speed off …  but I doubt they considered that’s really unpleasant when I have to try and get moving again…

However you see the same sort of behaviour from people on normal bikes..  people stopped who then decide they are going to move off as you approach …. or the ones that after someone did move off before you and you’re waiting for them to get a decent head start some other nob decides to go in front of you.

I can’t really see a big difference to e-bikes… plenty of people seem to want to crawl down a slight DH section you would be hoping to take momentum from then get to the bottom and push up the single track  climb …  especially at trail centres.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

#trailcentrelife

BillOddie

I was at Cannock on Sunday with the lad doing the Dog and the Monkey from about 10am onwards.

We had no issues with ebikers to be honest.  I generally ride behind the lad and tell him to pull over at an opportune and safe moment to let people pass. Every person we met was happy to wait until this moment be they on an ebike or normal bike, whether we were going up or downhill.

We probably saw about 10 ebikes in total.

Nobody buzzed our tyres.

Nobody shouted at us to get past.

Maybe the above are due to my winning personality, dazzling good looks and cheery hello.

In fact I have only ever had one incident with anyone doing this, which was when the kids were small and it was at Hicks Lodge of all places. Some knobber pushed past my youngest and I, nearly knocking him off.  I gave chase to have a word, he tried to ride away from me but crashed so I was happy to re-educate him in the strongest possible (verbal) terms whilst he wrestled with his bike in crumpled heap.

Based on the above sample size (plus previous experience at Cannock and at other trail centres), there certainly does seem to be an correlation between bigger waistlines and ebike usage.  Make of that what you will.

kerley
    Free Member

Trail centres sound like awful places full of either idiots on ebikes or people not on ebikes constantly bitching and whining about people on ebikes.   Makes me glad that I ride around in solitude…

weeksy

Trail centres sound like awful places full of either idiots on ebikes or people not on ebikes constantly bitching and whining about people on ebikes.   Makes me glad that I ride around in solitude…

Nope, they’re actually brilliant

PrinceJohn

Started to see a few at the FOD – always fun to chase down, especially when the rider keeps looking back & can’t work out why you’re still on their wheel…

Back to the OP tho – & yeah, sounds like you had a run in with an utter asshat – I would lose my shit if someone did that to me on a climb who I didn’t know. Maybe practice your trackstands & if someone does it again just ride really slowly, then stop… & repeat.

somouk
    Free Member

I walk the dog at Cannock a lot at weekends and have seen a big increase in people shooting along the shared use tracks at stupid speeds on e-bikes where the normal pedal bikes are just mooching along.

We walk well away from the waymarked routes and these are normally people commuting to or from the waymarked bits in full gear, they fly past the walkers and even the people who aren’t on e-bikes and seem to take pleasure in showing off their shiny toy without a thought of what could be round the corner. It wont be long until there are some collisions based on the way things are going.

angeldust
    Free Member

Trick is to ride early at trail centres and avoid the ebikers as they waddle to thier full english breakfast.  Or ride more technically challenging natural stuff which doesn’t seem to appeal to most of the ebike community.

Classy.

Sounds like you’d be better off posting on walkmagic.

Read that as something else entirely on first read.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

4 of us out yesterday, 2 on e-bikes, the other guy has an e-bike but was on his Nomad as he’s training for an event. For the folks asking about average speeds, I had to work a hell of a lot harder to keep up than I normally would. Wasn’t a long ride, only about 10 miles up on the local moors, 2200ft of climbing, but I’ll definitely benefit in riding with my e-buddies, no question.

They are rapid downhill as well btw, both the Focus and the Levo, That nice centralised, lowdown weight must help I’d imagine.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve never encountered an ebiker off road where they either shouldn’t have been riding or were riding like dicks. I guess we’re now starting to see the user conflict and other trail issues that the nay sayers said would happen. It’s all very well hand waving and saying aye, but it’s just the riders who are dicks, but if there’s dicks everywhere all the time then there’s a problem that needs fixing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

but if there’s dicks everywhere all the time then there’s a problem that needs fixing.

This may be an issue like the bedroom tax, Brexit etc, ie it only exists in the overpopulated south?. I’m lucky if I see another biker on my local stuff, never mind an e-biker.

scruff
    Free Member

Btw, the closed sections on Cannock Chase  will remain closed and more other bits with contentious riding / user conflict will soon be closed until the new FC E-Bike permits system is ratified and workable.

doomanic

@scruff Permits? Got a link?

doomanic

@whatnobeer I’m a little confused by your post; firstly, are you saying you are seeing problems or aren’t seeing problems and secondly, if you are seeing problems and one them is eBikers riding where they shouldn’t be are you on a bike or on foot?

angeldust
    Free Member

Nobody buzzed our tyres.

When people use this phrase do they mean that the rider behind literally touched their rear tyre briefly, or just that they felt intimidated by the rider behind being close?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d imagine in most cases it would be the feeling intimidated bit angeldust, but for the purposes of hating, it will be exaggerated into actual tyre touching….

How very dare you touch the rubber of another grown man! 🙂

BillOddie

I would assume it’s actually making contact.

Someone riding behind me doesn’t intimidate me.

colp

The ebike mob, earlier

geex
    Free Member

Average Emtb speed and battery life vary massively depending on the modes you ride in, how much effort you put in, your weight, The conditions/terrain and elevation.

Eg. Last week i rode my Emtb a few times.

One ride I only had an hour to spare and did 16miles of undulating flatish XC with a total elevation of 900ft in 50 minutes and ridden almost entirely in boost. That’s 19mph average and I used around half the 504wh battery  ,I often do the same route on my normal bike and generally average 10 or 11mph working harder.

Another night I rode with a mate, him on a normal bike, we did 26 miles, 2600ft elevation and averaged 10mph. I only used one bar of battery power (100wh ish). mainly riding in eco , a few short bursts of trail/boost and a little bit with the assist off completely and barely broke sweat the entire ride.

doomanic

Are you a Nac Mac Feegle? You must weigh the best part of naff all, 26 miles and 2.5K ft of climbing is a full battery for me, even in Eco.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

@Nobeer – I live in Canada, so it might be a problem in the south, but I can’t speak to that. They’re growing in popularity here. One problem is education, ie folk not knowing where they can and can’t ride. That falls on both the retailers and the owners imo. The retailers don’t care to educate and the owners assume they’re mountain bikes so ride them where they usually ride, even if they’re not meant to.

@doomanic
    I am seeing problems. Not many, but enough. It’ll only become more prevalent too unless something is done. I’m on a bike btw. Where I am most of the trails are designated non-motorized which rules out ebike use. On many trails this isn’t too much of an issue at the moment but they’re explicitly banned (as in its explicitly mentioned that ebikes are forbidden) on one of the alpine trails which gets enough traffic as it is. Its meant to be a long relatively hard ride to help limit numbers. Ebikers seem to have no qualms about riding up there anyway. This jeopardises not only that particular trail but also all the other stuff that is in planning stages. Again, it’s dicks on bikes not the bike itself yada yada yada, but it’s still a problem. It doesn’t help with manufactures and retailers pushing them so much, especially in areas where there’s not that many places they’re actually allowed to ride.

geex
    Free Member

No Dom. I’m Peter Pan… (Mmmm… Tinkerbell)  😉

14.5st of Peter Pan to be precise just now.
    I am however a reasonably fit, strong rider. And AFAIC a resonably fit rider out riding an Ebike with a less fit mate on a normal bike is pretty stupid so as I said I switched mode to off a few times (probably climbed 600 of those 2600ft with the motor off). Terrain was a mixture of dry woodland singletrack, fireroads, landrover tracks and uncategorised roads. </span>The profile of the ride was one big climb followed by one big descent. After the highest point barely any battery was used and the final section of the ride was on road.
    It’s not the type of ride I enjoy most but a route my mate likes.
    Plus it ends with a sesh in the pub.
    No Pie tho.

geex
    Free Member

In the US/Canada the problem is not so much dicks on bikes as dicks who have the power to outlaw bikes from being ridden in certain areas with dubious reasons.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve never literally been buzzed by an ebiker on a single track climb at a trail centre but several times I’ve had them ride up within a gnat’s whisker of my back wheel, impatiently breathing down my neck, which is almost as bad as being buzzed.

geex
    Free Member

I genuinely can’t think of any singletrack climb I’ve ever ridden at a trail centre where there aren’t plenty opportunities to pass safely and politely. A little patience a modicum of riding skill and good planning and it’s actually way easier to pass safely on an Ebike.

doomanic

@whatnobeer I didn’t know you were in Canada. That changes things a lot.

@geex
    No pie? Just what sort of eBiker are you? And I’d much rather be a Feegle than a bird in tights. 😀

bomberman
    Free Member

I’ve been at the end of a 20+ mile ride at jizzburn and getting asked to move over by 3 ebikers, who i’d already let past 15 minutes earlier. They’d stopped for a rest and wanted past again. Just fricking annoying if you ask me.

geex
    Free Member

I meant the pub had no pies left.

Peter wasn’t a bird. He was just a little wet. I meant it as a metaphor. I’m more like the darkside of Peter. Fishnet tights, heels and Tink loves it 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been at the end of a 20+ mile ride at jizzburn and getting asked to move over by 3 ebikers, who i’d already let past 15 minutes earlier. They’d stopped for a rest and wanted past again. Just fricking annoying if you ask me.

That sounds truly frightful. I bet they were vapists.

doomanic

What sort of pub runs out of pies? Did they have any deep fried Mars bars left?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘First negative encounter with the “ebike mob”’ is closed to new replies.