• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • Kryton57

Safety car working in Hamiltons favour for a change.

the-muffin-man

Game on – classic Silverstone ending

the-muffin-man

Wow!

tomhoward

Cheering as much for MSC at the end there!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

wow .. what a race..serious elbows out there.. the winner well deserved..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

How great was that?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Great race for a change!

mashr

Ferrari driver management is still baffling

Kryton57

Nadine Dorries presents a trophy at the British Touring cars today…

nickewen
    Free Member

Spectacular. One of the most entertaining live sports events I’ve watched in a long time!

My poor wife and daughter having to put up with me screaming at the telly as HAM went 4>3>2>3>4!

the-muffin-man

Ferraris management has always been baffling. If Sainz had done as they asked they could have handed this win to Perez.
    Why favour the driver on old hard tyres? 🤷‍♂️

the-muffin-man

And sad to say, but I think Dani Rik’s time at McLaren needs to end. He should be scoring points in a race like that.

rOcKeTdOg

In before someone says…almost as exciting as MotoGP! 😉

What a fab race, I think the whole can these cars run close to each other question has been fully answered today.

Also been shouting at the telly!

sockpuppet

Safety car working in Hamiltons favour for a change.

Not really. Or ‘only somewhat’.

If the SC hadn’t happened he was on fresher tyres and in with a chance of moving forward, under no threat from behind.

If it had been a few laps earlier he could have been on for the win.

As was, when Ferrari split strategies (which is a separate discussion!) he has to stop, but the field closed up behind which brought Perez back into it.

Still enjoyed the race, but the SC hurt if anything, given it’s timing.

Kato

I you watch the replay from Gasly’s car it looks like Zhou was tipped over by the sloping sidepods on Russell’s Mercedes acting like a ramp

bigdaddy

I wonder what the stewards will say ti that? It did seem odd that a car would flip like that – I would’ve expected it to spin much as George’s did, not go straight upside down?

the-muffin-man

Looked like classic open wheel racing front wheel/rear wheel interface to me.

Can’t happen in Indycar as they have bodywork in front of the rear wheels.

the-muffin-man

Greybeard
    Free Member

Russell wasn’t allowed to restart because he had ‘assistance’ – what did that consist of? I thought the BBC sort of implied that him jumping out of the car to go to help Zhou was connected but that may have me misunderstanding.

bigdaddy

I think it was because the Marshalls then put his car on the flat bed and took it back to the pits – he needed to have driven it back as I understand it?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not a Formula 1 fan but eldest is back from uni so we had it on for a change – bloody hell, I may watch it more often!

Kato

“Looked like classic open wheel racing front wheel/rear wheel interface to me”

Yeah, Zhou’s rear wheel is lifted by the contact with Russell’s front, but then as Russell spins It looks like the sloping sides of the Mercedes go under it and tip it over

2m 07s on this vid.  Played at 1/4 speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onNGhGrLoGg&t=129s

multi21
    Free Member

Brilliant race, that will go down as a classic.

slowoldman

Sam Ryder should be sent to the Tower for that National anthem!

He’s certainly not Jimi.

halifaxpete

Excellent race (barring the Zhou crash obvs) Was kinda hoping for some rain to spice things up but today didnt need any that’s for sure! Struggled with recent races but today made up for the boring ones. Glad to see the Mercs up there now too to mix things up

redmex
    Free Member

Great race today and day out but Dadford car park shocking organisation, 11.30 pm before we got out no marshall’s/security to direct traffic out just a standstill , should lose their licence robin barstewards

muggomagic

What an amazing race. I was worried about Zhou as there were no replays so you fear the worst, glad he and Albon seem to be fine.

My first time at the British GP and me and my daughter had an absolutely brilliant day. We stayed behind for the fans forum so left about 8:30 and got the park and ride back to Hinton Airfield. Took about 30-40 mins to get out from there (there was no organisation there either but it was flowing pretty well) and once on the A road we had a clear run all the way back to Brighton.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sooooo….. you can overtake at Copse 😊👏

stuart_c
    Free Member

Was there, brilliant day out as rookie attendees!

Was setup at Vale for the day for the atmosphere. We walked the track perimeter during the F2 race to see all the views/angles, so ended up not being there for the F2 crash. That looked a big hit as well as Zhou’s.

Fantastic atmosphere and a brilliant race to be at, the direct relation of crowd volume to Lewis’ 4>3>2>3>4 move was very clear.

Stayed for podium but then left before evening stuff. Journey home not too bad really.

pondo

Great stuff – was hoping you’d have a good day. 🙂

multi21
    Free Member

Regarding the Zhou incident, it’s pretty alarming that the roll hoop (roll blade actually in Alfa’s case) failed almost straight away. All the press has been praise of the halo but I expect the FIA will be on that like a tonne of bricks.

the-muffin-man

That was my initial thought – but Scarbs explaining that the roll hoop worked as designed…

multi21
    Free Member

I respect Scarbs but I’ve never ever heard anybody say the roll hoop should “absorb” an impact like that by snapping off.

I always thought it should remain 100% in tact, 1) to allow the driver to escape if the car is upside down, 2) to prevent the drivers head skidding along the ground when upside down (even pre-dating halo)

In fact I remember seeing a piece on TV years back showing how the drivers are measured so that the angle from the roll hoop to the front of the car will never allow the drivers head to hit the ground if the car is upside down.

edit- later in the comments on that twitter thread, a user makes the same point with a pic

multi21
    Free Member

And here’s another pic from the comments, showing Russell’s head sticking out, he would have been brown bread if he’d been in that car where the hoop came off.

the-muffin-man

He came out of a massive crash with no injuries – I’d say the safety measures worked together to save his life.

Everything will fail if you hit it hard enough.

And their eyelines will be similar. Taller drivers will just sit lower in the car. Top of Zhou’s head in this shot looks similar to those above. And the helmet is also designed to take an impact…

…but cleverer people than you and me work these things out! 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Have to agree, the roll hoop appeared to fail way too quickly. It was good to see him mostly going through the gravel backwards then sideways, even with a ballistic rated visor I wouldn’t have wanted to be going into that face first.

Bez

Roll hoops definitely shouldn’t fail catastrophically (obviously there will always be a level of force where anything will, but it’s not like this car went flying like the old Le Mans Mercedes could), and it was quite stomach-churning watching that car slide along the ground without one.

Mind you, I’ve (long before the Halo was ever thought of) driven a Formula Renault and I’m so tall that if I’d flipped it, even the roll hoop wouldn’t have been any use anyway—I think if you drew a line from the top of the hoop to the top of the nose cone, the line would have gone down my nose 🙂

nickc

I think the role of the roll hoop (sorry) has changed from when it was the structure that protected drivers, to part of the group of structures that protect drivers.

Bez

I’d say the safety measures worked together to save his life.

Yes, but I don’t believe they did so in a way that they’re intended to.

Before the Halo was invented the roll hoop was basically the only protection in this type of incident, and that protection relied entirely on it staying intact. I can’t believe for one second that anyone said “well now we’ve got the Halo we should design the roll hoop to fail on impact”.

It’s not in a place where you need energy absorption. It’s in a place where you need the closest thing you can get to a safety cell in an open seat car, which means needing the utmost structural integrity.

nickewen
    Free Member

Interesting. I hadn’t realised the roll hoop had failed in the way it did, that picture of the car on the back of the flatbed is scary. I’m certainly of the view that it should have been more robust and not failed so easily.. but then again I am not an F1 safety engineer!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.