• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • simondbarnes

Bottas looks like someone doing a bad impression of himself

I thought it was Keke Rosberg 😅

mashr

Schumacher was excluded from the 1997 championship (but not Ferrari). No penalties for the 1998 season.
    Briatore and Symonds were both banned after the Singapore Crashgate scandal.
    Vettel got a 10 second stop-go for the Baku incident
    Schumacher got absolutely nothing for his parking at Mirabeau (sp?) or Adelaide 94 (may have had the benefit of the doubt at Adelaide but then Jerez 97 took away any doubt IMO)
    Senna/Prost 89 and 90, Senna got a DSQ for rejoining in an incorrect way🤷‍♂️
    That’s it off the top of my head, anyone else got any others?

Only 2 of those are comparable imo, Singapore and Schumacher’s half-arsed Monaco parking job. I see jest of the moment running into drivers stuff differently (although maybe not Senna taking out Prost in turn 1 as he’d basically told people he was going to do it). Quite a difference in what was dished out as you say. The Checo one is more Schumacher-esque as it wasn’t driven by the committee decision, but he did also give the wall a thump. Of course, would the FIA have the stones to do anything significant anyway?

Twodogs

Do we think that had anyone else but Vettel invited all the current drivers to a celebratory dinner, they’d have all showed up?

According to Andrew Benson, it was Hamilton’s idea, and he picked up the tab!

shermer75
    Free Member

Do we think that had anyone else but Vettel invited all the current drivers to a celebratory dinner, they’d have all showed up?

What an amazing photo!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes – that famous crash the no-one even commented on at the time! 

Quite!!

Twodogs

The Chequered Flag podcast is interesting…there’s a whole load about the team orders thing. Andrew Benson (who is usually pretty reliable) says his sources in Red Bull have told him that Perez has previously admitted to Horner and Marko that he did crash deliberately at Monaco!

pondo

I rewatched the video and he didn’t seem to go out of his way to correct the breakaway.

jimster01

Andrew Benson (who is usually pretty reliable) says his sources in Red Bull have told him that Perez has previously admitted to Horner and Marko that he did crash deliberately at Monaco!

Trouble is that it is coming from Red Bull, the same team who said the let Perez through call came from the last corner not turn four as shown on the coverage. And to stuff it up so conclusively would be a risky manoeuvre IMO.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Great drive from Charles to get second overall!

Kryton57

A bit dusty watching Vettel at the end. I didn’t take too him in his early days, but he’s ended as a rounded and very well respected F1 Driver. Happy bloody retirement Seb!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Any chance Vettel could be RB third driver.. they really could do with some good PR. Unfortunately the current crop of drivers all seem to lack charisma bar Lando.

Twodogs

Any chance Vettel could be RB third driver..

Well, no, cos that’s Ricciardo’s job next year, which I still think is a very strange move (or a stroke of genius if he gets to replace Perez…..)

Bruce

Dull dull dull with an ageing Red Bull fan boy commentary. What’s to like?

jodafett

I was gobsmacked (sarcasm) with how few (ie none) questions were asked regarding Verstappen helping Perez to 3rd in the championship! A quality team mate!!

Twodogs

Yeah it’s so striking how differently the 2 Red Bull spokesmen portray the situation to every other pundit. It’s kind of sad in a way that Whisper films (or whatever it’s called) get to produce the C4 highlights when their owner (Coulthard) is so biased.

bigdaddy

Got to agree – I listen live on 5live radio, which is excellent, then watch the highlights, which just annoy me. Not even well edited anymore, and the Red bull bias is beyond a joke now

mashr

At least Webber brought up the subject of Verstappen maybe backing up LeClerc, thought they were just going to completely ignore that option.

Perez did choke though. The 2 failed overtakes were enough to hand over 2nd place, then catching Gasly and Albon where he did finished the job (obviously that part wasn’t his fault, although if he’d been 2 seconds further up the road . . .)

RickDraper
    Free Member

Great to see Hamilton give Perez a bit of payback.

thepurist

Anyhow, looking back to page 1…

One team will get the rules worked out and will make step up from the 2021 order for at least the first 5-6 races (maybe McLaren or Ferrari)
    One team will get the rules hopelessly wrong and be way off the pace (Haas/Alfa/Williams)
    Merc will lose the WDC because they have 2 drivers taking points off each other, Max to actually win his first title
    After all the hype, new cars won’t look anything like the FIA’s mock up

Not too bad – sort of called Ferrari getting it right for a but, didn’t expect merc to be the ones who got it wrong, expected max to win but against different (some?) opposition, am so used to the cars I’ve forgotten what the FIA mockup looked like.

multi21
    Free Member

Lol.

nickc

Given that Perez holding up Hamilton made arguably an impact on Verstappen getting the title in ’21 on this track just 12 months ago the comment seems a wee bit shortsighted.

Verstappen doesn’t help himself does he?

Kryton57

Noted that he recieved a fair amount of boo’s during the interviews, so it’s not just STW that take a dim view of him.

Cruising out front, nothing to lose yet couldn’t help his team mate – again. I hope he’s not planning a holiday to Mexico during the break.

thols2

Did not foresee how badly Merc would get it wrong, but otherwise a pretty predictable season. From page 1:

Merc and Red Bull have invested heavily in simulation, plus they have the manufacturing facilities to turn out revised aero kits very quickly. Even if they start off a bit behind, I expect those two teams will be right at the front next year.

Ferrari have excellent infrastructure, their engine should be close to the front, and they have probably been able to focus more resources on next year’s car than the front two. I think they will be top three again next year, quite possibly challenging for the championship.

McLaren don’t have the resources of the top three teams yet, but they will have been focusing on next year, not this year. They will have a fully competitive engine, so I guess probably somewhere from third to fifth next year. Similar with Renault, they are still rebuilding and their engine is a bit of an unknown, so probably fourth or fifth.

Alpha Tauri should be a solid mid-field car again, but they just don’t have the infrastructure to keep up with the bigger teams. If Tsunoda can find some consistency, anywhere from fourth to seventh.

Aston Martin showed this year that their technical department is a long way from the top teams. They obviously did not understand the car that they copied from Merc and didn’t know how to overcome the penalty of the new rules. They have two decent drivers, but I can’t see them being better than sixth to eighth fastest.

multi21
    Free Member

thols2
    Free Member

Did not foresee how badly Merc would get it wrong,

Yeah I thought somebody would cock it up badly, but i never thought it would be Merc.

That said, bloody impressive to go from that undriveable looking spacehopper to a car that won a race on pure pace.

mav12
    Free Member

Congratulations to Max and Red Bull on a phenominal Season. 15 wins is incredable considering he started with 2 dnfs, he is on a different Level,pity Ferrari never gave him more of a fight ,hopfully they will be closer next year so we can see some good racing between Max and Charles.
    Checo blew it yesterday didnt deserve 2nd , wasnt a lot Max could have done really .

Kryton57

Congratulations to Max and Red Bull on a phenominal Season. 15 wins is incredablepredictable considering he started with 2 years and £ms more development than everyone else dnfs

FTFY

the-muffin-man

wasnt a lot Max could have done really .

Possibly not have been an arse last weekend? But as others have said – I can’t see the fuss over 2nd place.

It’s just been a flat season for me. The new cars promised so much, but failed to deliver excitement.

Anyway…looking forward to Oct next year when we see who has overspent this season! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Noted that he recieved a fair amount of boo’s during the interviews, so it’s not just STW that take a dim view of him.

I’m pretty sure that they boo whoever is winning, I remember it starting with Vettel and continuing with Hamilton. I find it a bit lame tbh

Bez

So… what’s the likelihood that the whole Perez/Monaco thing blows up out of proportion, Red Bull and Perez get stung with an FIA investigation, Perez is dumped and Ricciardo is back on the grid?

Probably a thousand to one. But I were forced to put a fiver on a thousand-to-one shot, that’d be where I’d put it 😉

jimster01

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Checo replaced by Silverstone if the gap between himself and MV are as wide as this season, and Merc being closer.

mashr

The new cars promised so much, but failed to deliver excitement.

I disagree. The way the cars are able to run together is like a different world compared to how things were just a year ago. Lap after lap of close running versus several seconds of dirty air behind each car and tyres getting burned up just trying to get close. Hopefully someone comes out with some intersting overtakes stats for the year

thols2

So… what’s the likelihood that the whole Perez/Monaco thing blows up out of proportion, Red Bull and Perez get stung with an FIA investigation, Perez is dumped and Ricciardo is back on the grid?

That possibility is obviously why Red Bull are trying to shut it all down. Let’s face it, if the FIA do investigate, they will have to either protect Perez and piss Verstappen off or throw Perez under the bus. If they throw Perez under the bus then they will likely face fines or punishment for concealing that their driver cheated. Utter no-win situation for Red Bull.

thols2

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Checo replaced by Silverstone if the gap between himself and MV are as wide as this season, and Merc being closer.

He just has to take enough points off Merc or Ferrari drivers to help Max and he’s earned his salary. Red Bull don’t want a situation like Hamilton versus Rosberg or Hamilton versus Alonso where their drivers are destabilizing the team.

mashr

I’m not sure it can be blown out of proportion. Deliberately smashing a racing car to pieces is probably the most stupid thing I could think of a driver doing. Its cheating, it risks injury to the driver, it costs the team precious budget, it could use up gearboxes, ICEs, etc, it risks injury to marshals or anyone else trackside, it can lead to unnecessary barrier repairs, it just bloody holds everything up and its cheating (again)

the-muffin-man

It’s the quality of passes that does it for me, not quantity! 🙂

I just think these cars look heavy, cumbersome and a bit dull. Rear wings are ugly too! 🤣

pondo

Utter no-win situation for Red Bull.

There’s a shame.

mashr

the-muffin-man
    It’s the quality of passes that does it for me, not quantity! 🙂

I just think these cars look heavy, cumbersome and a bit dull. Rear wings are ugly too! 🤣

To have quality passes you at least need to have some passes, and F1 has been dire for years in this regard. I could see them starting to turn down the DRS effect quite soon now with these regs

They’ve been overweight and cumbersome for years now, but this years cars look a lot better than a load of last years uglies (imo of course). Rear wings are ugly though

Bez

I’m not sure it can be blown out of proportion. Deliberately smashing a racing car to pieces is probably the most stupid thing I could think of a driver doing.

Aye, fair point.

Let’s face it, if the FIA do investigate, they will have to either protect Perez and piss Verstappen off or throw Perez under the bus.

Well there’s only one route they’ll take there, although having to stick Ricciardo in the vacant seat might piss Verstappen off anyway 🙂

tomhoward

Apparently Max was instrumental in bringing Danny Ric in.

Not sure he’d shed a tear over the loss of Perez

the-muffin-man

While I’m at it I don’t like the wheelcovers either – an open 18″ wheel with glowing brake discs would look miles better! Glowing discs, another bit of the experience lost. 🙂

I know they were introduced to stop outwash.

Re DRS – why not get rid of the DRS zones altogether? Give the drivers say 30 uses per race but they could use it anywhere. Could open up new overtaking areas and spice things up a bit. Giving opportunities to the skilled, brave or stupid!

Drivers just wait for the DRS zone now. Why risk a move when you can sail past.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,041 through 3,080 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.