• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • Pook

When does testing start?

si77

You forgot the mandatory “spoilers” joke in the title.

jimster01

Something like 98 days…

Pook

Damnit

Pook

What’s happening after abu dhabi then? I thought i heard russell was getting straight in a merc

mashr

There might be something after this race but it means nothing with the changes that are coming in with the new cars

keithb

I think there’s some days of testing, some for young drivers, some using cars adapted to represent ’22 downforce levels, and running the 18″ wheels.

Not sure it’ll be useful for the general public, it’ll be all about teams gathering data on the new tyres with a known car/parameters.  They’ll all know what numbers they’re hitting in the simulator by now, so they’ll extrapolate from the test data to see how the think the tyres will be next year.

I foresee a lot of 4-8ish lap runs, with no glory runs, as most of t e teams seem to be on a fairly stable financial footing at the moment.

Twodogs

You really need to get the mods to change the title…not the same otherwise

swavis

Or start a new thread and let this one die

andy4d

I reckon max will retain his title…

controversial?

or win his first

slowoldman

Before I commit to watching next year I want to know who the Race Director is.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Will we even have a Mercedes F1 team in 2022…..

mashr

Premier Icon
    slowoldman

Before I commit to watching next year I want to know who the Race Director is.

Ross Brawn….. (he is looking to leave his current role)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, we’ve rookie testing next week with the likes of Robert Schwartzman, Pato O’Ward etc running cars with the new tyres and an aero package designed to be representative of next year’s downforce levels, although IIRC Williams is running an unmodified 2021 spec car.

Then we’ve got the slow-dripfeed of banalities until the 2022 cars are unveiled prior to pre-season testing on the 23rd Feb.

That gives us roughly two and a bit months before we get to see drivers complain about the new regs.

swavis

Predictions…
    Hamilton will win his 8th title as Verstappen and Russell will constantly be tangling as their driving styles are so similar 😉 This will leave the door open for Lando to get 2nd place. Ferrari will stay roughly where they are and Bottas will continue racing in the midfield…

thepurist

Predictions:

One team will get the rules worked out and will make step up from the 2021 order for at least the first 5-6 races (maybe McLaren or Ferrari)
    One team will get the rules hopelessly wrong and be way off the pace (Haas/Alfa/Williams)
    Merc will lose the WDC because they have 2 drivers taking points off each other, Max to actually win his first title
    After all the hype, new cars won’t look anything like the FIA’s mock up

dc1988

I’m not looking forward to the skinny tyres purely from an aesthetic perspective, however I’m interested to know how much suspension will have to change to make up for considerably less tyre deformation

RickDraper
    Free Member

Hamilton will win next year driving for Ineos Petronas F1.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Verstappen and Russell will constantly be tangling as their driving styles are so similar

This.
    Verstappen had an easy ride this year with Bottas being comparatively useless.
    I suspect he’s going to have his hands full with Russell.

mashr

dc1988
    Free Member

I’m not looking forward to the skinny tyres purely from an aesthetic perspective, however I’m interested to know how much suspension will have to change to make up for considerably less tyre deformation

It would’ve been really interesting to see the current spec cars race the new tyres first to see that difference. What surprised me is that the 18s aren’t running elastic bands like most road cars seem to, the sidewalls are still pretty big and the overall size is far bigger as a result. Basically they’ve gone for 29ers

endomick
    Free Member

Deleted. Wrong post somehow.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not a prediction as such but Sainz is 33/1 and LeClerc is 16/1.
    Doesn’t seem daft, I recon Ferrari are going to be right in there next year, they will probably have been putting more effort into their 22 car relative to their 21 compared to Merc and RB early in the season, although without going full Haas.
    I’m not sure how much engine development RB will be able to do as all the new facilities and people get up to speed and if Russel and Hamilton spend the year taking points off each other Ferrari champions doesn’t sound daft.
    Personally I would prefer to see one of the McLaren drivers take it but if I was was a betting man I’d have a couple of quid on Ferrari

the-muffin-man

I’m not looking forward to the skinny tyres purely from an aesthetic perspective,

You won’t notice them as you’ll be distracted by the ugly wheel covers! 🙂

Twodogs

I predict there’ll be a shedload of tweaks to the sporting regs to attempt to remove ambiguities (it won’t, obviously).

And there’ll be a new Race Director 😂

Twodogs

Not a prediction as such but Sainz is 33/1 and LeClerc is 16/1.

Why is Leclerc seen as a better bet than Sainz? They’ve been pretty evenly matched this year I think? (Or is it cos Leclerc is really the de facto unspoken No 1 at Ferrari)

dirkpitt74

How about Latifi to Redbull?

warton
    Free Member

One team will get the rules worked out and will make step up from the 2021 order for at least the first 5-6 races (maybe McLaren or Ferrari)

a couple of people yesterday in the review of the race said Mercedes have made massive strides on the new car, and are way ahead of other teams….

thols2

The Merc engine is still a bit ahead of everyone else on power. I assume they now fully understand the reliability problems and will probably make another small step forward next year. I guess Honda/Red Bull will do the same, so those two should be fully competitive engine-wise. Ferrari and Renault both have major engine upgrades planned, but it’s hard to see them overtaking Merc, plus they are more likely to suffer reliability problems if they push hard for performance.

What we saw this year was Merc and Red Bull did a much better job of adapting their cars from circuit to circuit. McLaren, Ferrari, and the others were sometimes really competitive but then would fall way back on other circuits. I think this is because Merc and Red Bull have invested heavily in simulation, plus they have the manufacturing facilities to turn out revised aero kits very quickly. Even if they start off a bit behind, I expect those two teams will be right at the front next year.

Ferrari have excellent infrastructure, their engine should be close to the front, and they have probably been able to focus more resources on next year’s car than the front two. I think they will be top three again next year, quite possibly challenging for the championship.

McLaren don’t have the resources of the top three teams yet, but they will have been focusing on next year, not this year. They will have a fully competitive engine, so I guess probably somewhere from third to fifth next year. Similar with Renault, they are still rebuilding and their engine is a bit of an unknown, so probably fourth or fifth.

Alpha Tauri should be a solid mid-field car again, but they just don’t have the infrastructure to keep up with the bigger teams. If Tsunoda can find some consistency, anywhere from fourth to seventh.

Aston Martin showed this year that their technical department is a long way from the top teams. They obviously did not understand the car that they copied from Merc and didn’t know how to overcome the penalty of the new rules. They have two decent drivers, but I can’t see them being better than sixth to eighth fastest.

I doubt that Alfa Romeo will be able to keep up with the development rate of the bigger teams, even if they start with a decent car. Bottas is a decent qualifier, but he seems to struggle to pass anyone and the new Chinese guy is a big gamble. Similar with Williams. They are still suffering from years of underinvestment and won’t be able to develop their car fast enough to keep up. Albon is a decent driver but he’s not in the same league as Russell and Latifi is pretty average. Despite all the talk, I can’t see either of those teams really finishing higher than seventh to ninth.

Hass have been putting all their money into next year, but they obviously do not have the technical infrastructure to develop a car through the season. Neither driver has experience of developing a halfway competitive car so they’ll probably be right at the back again unless someone else designs an utter dog of a car.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I think Leclerc was hailed as the next big thing but so far hasn’t really shone above anyone – Sainz appears to be better. Is Leclerc the next Ricardo – brilliant in the right car and on the right day but destined to be an occasional race winner but nothing more?

b230ftw
    Free Member

With the brand new cars being so different I’m hoping someone, hopefully more than one team, can pull a Ross Brawn/Brawn F1 trick and come out with a stormer of a car. I’d like to see Williams do it but I would admit it’s a long shot.

thols2

I’m hoping someone, hopefully more than one team, can pull a Ross Brawn/Brawn F1 trick and come out with a stormer of a car.

This keeps coming up, but I think it’s unlikely. The other big teams didn’t develop the double diffuser because they didn’t believe it was legal, not because they didn’t think of it. Once they redesigned their cars around it, Brawn very quickly got left behind. So, for this to happen, one team would have to find something legal that everyone else didn’t spot. Not impossible, but more likely that a big team (like the Honda team that Ross Brawn took over) would find it than a backmarker team like Williams.

One thing that is easy to overlook is that the top teams have invested heavily in manufacturing technology so they can rapidly test new parts in the wind tunnel and have them ready to race in a few weeks. The smaller teams take much longer to get stuff from the wind tunnel to the racetrack because they haven’t been able to afford the investment in manufacturing that the rich teams have made. That’s been a huge part of Merc’s success the last few years – they turn up at the first test with an interim car, run a new aero kit at the second test, have new parts at the first race, and then have a new aero kit once the European races start. A team like Haas would probably take 6 months to do what Merc do in six weeks. So, even if Williams or someone find something special, the big teams will have copied it and have it on track within a few months.

jwt
    Free Member

From memory McLaren were very late in adopting the Mercedes engine last year and had to lose a lot of tokens to make it work? They did seem to fade later on in the season, but the new car might give Daniel Ricciardo a chance to show his speed and Lando Norris didn’t have much luck either with some of the racing outcomes, but hopefully they’ll show some pace and another team in the mix is always good?

Twodogs

So, just suppose Hamilton decides to quit, right now….who would Mercedes replace him with? (Not saying he will, but just suppose….)

mashr

Vettel

I was kinda kidding when his name popped into my head, but actually……..

Twodogs

Yeah I think he’d be a good call!

andrewh
    Free Member

Ocon is managed by Wolf and doing well, Piastri to Alpine?
    DeVries? A rookie seems unlikely.
    Another year for Bottas?
    How solid are these contracts? Everyone has a price surely?

thepurist

Kimi back out of retirement 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d like to see Ocon, actually! Isn’t he managed by Wolff? Also, he’s been shaping up nicely this season, often beating Alonso which is impressively

shermer75
    Free Member

Beaten to it by andrewh!

mashr

My thinking with Vettel is that he’d (likely) be a steady hand who’d relish a final go at driving for the most dominant team for years. If he was really up for it he’d be a contender, if he wasn’t he’d be a great mentor for Russell. win-win. I also don’t think AM would put up a massive fight to make him stay

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.