• This topic has 2,382 replies, 161 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by andrewh.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,383 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • Twodogs

I also don’t think AM would put up a massive fight to make him stay

No I agree…Wolf and Stroll are big buddies too…and a Merc customer

Ocon seems most likely but they’d have to give Alpine a shed load of cash …

TiRed

When does testing start?

Later this week in Lausanne. I predict three rounds before the FIA bring out the safety Barrister and a restart is order on fresh briefings.

Oh you meant the cars, not the regulations?

thols2
    Free Member

just suppose Hamilton decides to quit, right now….who would Mercedes replace him with?

Norris, Sainz, Gasly would be top of my list, maybe Alonso too. Obviously, they all have contracts but there will be escape clauses on those regarding taking a seat at a higher placed team.

andrewh
    Free Member

just suppose Hamilton decides to quit, right now….who would Mercedes replace him with?

It’s not entirely Impossible that Verstappen now says he has ‘completed F1’ and does a Rosberg.
    Gasly for 2022 Champ?

hardtailonly

I’m a bit late to the party, having mostly allowed F1 to pass me by for the past few years. Can anyone link me to a ready-read update on the tech reg changes due for 2022 cars?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m a bit late to the party, having mostly allowed F1 to pass me by for the past few years. Can anyone link me to a ready-read update on the tech reg changes due for 2022 cars?

You are Simone Resta and ICMFP

rOcKeTdOg

FB_IMG_1639943218043

nickc

really can’t decide if I like the look of it, or whether it looks just a bit rubbish TBH

mashr

Too much black, makes it look fat. Also dont expect them to look much like that show car when they come out, that was a very basic specimen. Get ready for X-wings to come back 😉

swavis

I like it! A much cleaner, simpler looking car. Hopefully the real ones won’t look too dissimilar.

andrewh
    Free Member

You know how the new Beetle looks vaugly like an old Beetle and the new Fiat 500 looks vaugly like an old 500, and these retro-style cars have become very fashionable?
    I think it looks like someone has done the same with the Ferrari 642

tomhoward

Nose looks a bit ‘Indycar’ for my taste…

thepurist

Exactly what I was thinking of andrewh! I always prefer clean cars to those with squillions of winglets and turning vanes – even the 2009 era with the high rise skinny rear wing was better than the 2008 hideousness.

Pook

I see Verstappen has decided to run #1 next year. I know he’s entitled to rules wise, but shows his class quote clearly when he won it like he did.

thepurist

I see Verstappen has decided to run #1 next year. I know he’s entitled to rules wise, but shows his class quote clearly when he won it like he did.

Also Horner has been saying that he doesn’t think Max’s title will be tainted by the events of Abu Dhabi and we’ll all have forgotten about it when next season starts, because after all lots of titles have been won under controversial circumstances and we’ve all forgotten about them too. Really, nobody thinks any less of Shumi because he nerfed two of his opponents to try to win the title and parked his car at Monaco etc, and Senna and Prost’s rivalry was barely mentioned in the build up to AD.

Twodogs

Have to say, I don’t particularly like the new cars, but I probably said the same last time they changed a lot. They look a bit IndyCar or A1 (Or whatever it was called).
    I’m sure I’ll get used to them.

Another 20kg heavier tho!

mashr

Twodogs

Have to say, I don’t particularly like the new cars, but I probably said the same last time they changed a lot. They look a bit IndyCar or A1 (Or whatever it was called).
    I’m sure I’ll get used to them.

As above though, don’t expect them to look like that.

Pook

#1 plate should be like the rainbow jersey in cycling, the champ should be using it regardless

thols2
    Free Member

Here’s some good news.

jamesoz

Needs a like button.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bloody hell, Alex Zanardi has more lives than a cat. I am genuinely very happy that he’s been allowed home and I hope that he continues to make a good recovery.

Re that Ferrari rendering – while I do actually quite like it, chances are that 2022’s Ferrari won’t look like that. I regularly moan about how modern cars are approximately the same length as Clacton Pier, so I fully expect that the same teams who brought a sausage fest to F1 back in 2014 will find a way to contrive some seriously offensive aesthetics as they try to exploit the regs.

thols2
    Free Member

slowoldman

Nose looks a bit ‘Indycar’ for my taste…

Whole thing reminds me a bit of the STP Paxton Indy car.

STP Paxton

jamesoz

@thols2 yep and they had a 100million fine plus lost the championship with a strange gearbox issue and weird tyre decision, which wasn’t at all part of the punishment.
    Hamilton might already be on eight.
    Another team had similar data but no punishment.

thols2
    Free Member

Sorry, that tweet was a reply to another tweet that had a picture from the Merc HQ with a copy of Adrian Newey’s book on the shelf behind the people. The account that posted the original tweet has been suspended, so the image was probably fake. Still, I would expect that every team on the grid would have got a copy of Newey’s book and skimmed it to see if there was anything in there that they didn’t already know. The second tweet was obviously meant to be a joke, but doesn’t make much sense without the original.

thepurist

Bad news people – Whinger Spice is staying as redbull principal until at least 2026.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/horner-to-remain-as-red-bull-f1-team-principal-until-at-least-2026

Twodogs

So, slightly (very!) off topic, but I’ve just heard that Red Bull are teaming up with the Swiss Alinghi team to compete in the next America’s Cup. So we have Mercedes/Ineos vs Red Bull/Alinghi….and rumour is Ferrari might team up with Luna Rosa.

Apparently it’s a way to continue to employ highly skilled people now the cost cap has come in….and there’s a shed load of money sloshing around in the Americas Cup

andrewh
    Free Member

Haha, and Gordon Murray could pop up with another massive fan and take a debut victory 🤣

sharkbait
    Free Member

So, slightly (very!) off topic, but I’ve just heard that Red Bull are teaming up with the Swiss Alinghi team to compete in the next America’s Cup

Yep well that makes sense. The AC boats are massively about aerodynamics and hydrodynamics now which are probably basically the same thing with the latter being very thick air 😉

Twodogs

And of course, Karen Horner turned up at the presser announcing it….🙄

the-muffin-man

Apparently it’s a way to continue to employ highly skilled people now the cost cap has come in….and there’s a shed load of money sloshing around in the Americas Cup

I wonder how many of those engineers will ‘play’ at designing F1 parts in their spare time! 🤣🤔

jodafett

Sailing’s Adrian Newey’s biggest passion if I remember correctly.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Giovinazzi and Mick reserve drivers at Ferrari next year.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I’m not Schumacher or Ferrari fan but I must admit seeing Mick drive one would be very nice indeed.

the-muffin-man

He’s tested for them a couple of times already…

thols2
    Free Member

I think Sainz has the second Ferrari seat locked up for as long as he wants it. I’d like to see Mick Schumacher take over Hamilton’s Merc seat, assuming he’s fast enough.

eddiebaby

Really, nobody thinks any less of Shumi because he nerfed two of his opponents to try to win the title and parked his car at Monaco etc,

I think a lot less of the cheating cockwomble.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Really, nobody thinks any less of Shumi because he nerfed two of his opponents to try to win the title and parked his car at Monaco

Oh yes they do.

thols2
    Free Member

Really, nobody thinks any less of Shumi because he nerfed two of his opponents to try to win the title and parked his car at Monaco etc,

I think a lot of people did. When he first burst on the scene, he was a breath of fresh air after the Piquet-Mansell-Prost-Senna years. Someone, probably Nigel Roebuck, pointed out that Schumi was the first guy in years to stand on the top step of the podium and actually look happy.

In 1994 he deserved to win on his driving, the Williams was a difficult car, but faster IIRC. Benneton were run by Flavio, Ross Brawn, and Tom Walkinshaw. Brawn always managed to push things to the absolute limit of the rules without going over the line. Flavio has a lifetime ban for his misdeeds and Walkinshaw always pushed things well into gray areas of the regulations. so Benneton and Schumacher ended up with race bans which left Hill in contention for the title. The crash between Schumacher and Hill was plausibly because Shumi was not in control of his car, and he outdrove Hill over the season so that first title wasn’t a problem. Schumi deserved that one.

The Villeneuve crash was a different thing. That was a heel turn for me, I simply never had any respect for him again after that. I’m sure a lot of people feel the same way, that crash will forever tarnish his undeniably spectacular talents.

thepurist

Note to self – sarcasm doesn’t work so well when written down.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.