• This topic has 3,109 replies, 175 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 3,110 total)
  • F1 2022 (CONTAINS SPOILERS)
  • the-muffin-man

At least if you keep the young driver there’s a chance/hope that they have a breakthrough, these guys aren’t going anywhere

The Ferrari junior programme is short of talent (and that’s where Haas juniors would come from) – and let’s be honest two years in F1 is enough time to prove you’re good enough. You should be pretty much ready for F1 by the time you get to F1 – it isn’t a training ground.

mashr

In the absence of a Ferrari junior there would be nothing to stop them looking elsewhere (like they’ve just done). Not sure who that would be mind you, would imagine getting someone from Indycar would appeal to Gene Haas, but superlicence issues aren’t helping there. Seems like people coming through sportcars is no longer a thing these days?

it isn’t a training ground.

Better a training ground than, potentially, making up the numbers

nickc

At least if you keep the young driver

I’m not massively un-happy that the trend for younger and younger drivers is tailing off TBH. There’s masses of talent certainly, but the pressure F1 drivers are underdoes take a toll on them, It used to be that you could spend some time building a career either in lower ranked teams of formulas, but these guys are being snapped up out of the junior ranks (where there’s literally no pressure at all) into an arena that’s massively over-pressured. They get one maybe two seasons (if they’re lucky) and if they don’t succeed than their career’s are effectively over. See Latifi, Schumacher and to a lesser extent Zhou, Tsunoda, Albon

F1 could do with reversing the trend that chews through young drivers IMO

the-muffin-man

Yes, I’d rather have a hot new thing than Hulk – but Hulk will brings in points and (hopefully!) not cost the team millions in repair bills.

Mick isn’t hot or consistent and he’s costly. And with the cost-cap now that loss of money hurts development.

multi21
    Free Member

thols2

I think he’s considered to be a safe choice. He’s never going to be champion, but he’s mature and isn’t going to bin it every week like rookies tend to do, and he’s fast enough to pick up points when opportunity arises.

Also I’ve read a couple of times from different teammates of his that he is very consistent and excellent at giving feedback so valuable for developing the car.

Wonder if he and Maggo have really buried the hatchet?

thepurist

Wonder if he and Maggo have really buried the hatchet?

Yeah there’s definitely no bad blood between them and they’re looking forward to working together. Same as Ocon/Gasly or Perez/Verstappen – they’ve all said so in press releases 😀

pondo

F1 could do with reversing the trend that chews through young drivers IMO

This. The truly remarkable will adapt and thrive, but lots of capable drivers being promoted too quickly and spat out the back.

Also I’ve read a couple of times from different teammates of his that he is very consistent and excellent at giving feedback so valuable for developing the car.

That’s what they need, a couple of drivers to help develop a quicker car, which you can’t guarantee Johnny Next-Big-Thing will be able to do.

multi21
    Free Member

pondo

This. The truly remarkable will adapt and thrive, but lots of capable drivers being promoted too quickly and spat out the back.

Yeah I think this is also where we miss out by having only 20 cars on the grid.

Also the testing limits probably don’t help. BITD the reserve drivers could be running hundreds of laps before getting anywhere near a race seat. I know the sims are pretty good now, but there’s nothing better than getting in the actual car.

the-muffin-man

BITD the reserve drivers could be running hundreds of laps before getting anywhere near a race seat.

Teams can and still do that – just in older cars. Think they can even use 2021 cars now as they have no technical relevance now to 2022 cars.

Alpine did loads for Piasti – which is one reason they were so annoyed he went to McLaren!…

Piastri: Alpine test program ‘speaks volumes’ about their belief

joefm

If Haas isn’t being paid to take and nurture a young driver then there’s no benefit to them except cost in crashes and fewer points. So I understand why Mick S has been dropped in favour of someone more reliable.
    I do think Hulk has had his time though. like Kmag and a few others on the grid.

Hopefully Mick realises motorsport is bigger than the F1 bubble and seeks out a successful career in sportscars which is onto bigger and better things.

mashr

Teams can and still do that – just in older cars. Think they can even use 2021 cars now as they have no technical relevance now to 2022 cars.

Alpine did loads for Piasti – which is one reason they were so annoyed he went to McLaren!…

Different sort of testing though. They were testing current machinery before, so adding value to the team as a whole. Now just testing the driver and costing money

mashr

If Haas isn’t being paid to take and nurture a young driver then there’s no benefit to them except cost in crashes and fewer points.

Get young driver, nurture driver, sell drivers contract to bigger team, £££ (disclaimer: obviously doesn’t work like that of taking on someone from a development programme)

nickc

boomerlives
    Free Member

To summarize,

“Max was asked to move and he said he didn’t want to. We said ‘OK’.

Look! Social Mediums!”

As expected from the team of petty whining

chrismac

BBC Sounds have done a podcast about Malaren/Ferrari Spygate

The Pink bike Podcast has interviewed Bottas and his girlfriend who is a pro road cyclist talking about their love of all things bikes

multi21
    Free Member

the-muffin-man

Sure but i was talking about them testing the current car so the young driver could step in and already be up to speed and not have their teething problems in front of an audience.

Also the amount of pre-season testing has been reduced, and they can only run a single car during it so a new driver only gets a day and a half in the car before the season starts.

nickc

Look! Social Mediums!”

given that Verstappen’s mum waded into the Socials with her big boots on, there’s some gaslighting going on there fo’shure

thepurist

Look! Social Mediums!”

As I almost said up there…

there’s definitely no bad blood between Max and Checo and they’re looking forward to working together. Same as Ocon/Gasly or KMag/Hulk – they’ve all said so in press releases 😀

pocpoc
    Free Member

From Red Bull’s blabbering response:
    “Max was only informed at the final corner of the request to give up position…”
    What a load of balls. I remember the TV feed played out a radio message asking him to give the position back if he had not passed Alonso by turn 12. Given that there’s 15 corners at Interlagos then turn 12 definitely isn’t the final corner. I’ve also read elsewhere that that message was orginally given at turn 6 (anyone feel free to fact check that because this is the internet and I’d rather be outraged than accuate 🙂 ). Again, definitely not the final corner. Do Red Bull really think that everyone is that stupid to believe that? What an absolute insult to their own fans, all other F1 fans and the media.

Circuit with corner numbers for visual reference:
    interlagos

pondo

This reply to Red Bull’s attempt to whitewash gives the lie, if the video’s true.

Edit – BBC confirms (without specifically stating the press release is inaccurate).

“On-board camera footage makes it clear that Verstappen was first asked to let Perez by into sixth place after Turn Four on the final lap, and again three times as he exited the final corner.

Perez had earlier in the race been told “don’t fight Max” when the race resumed after a final safety-car period so he could try to pass cars ahead.

Verstappen moved ahead of Perez but did not manage to overtake Alpine’s Fernando Alonso for fifth place, and was told: “If we don’t pass Fernando on the exit of 12, can we let Checo through, please, let Checo back through.”

When he did not comply, he was asked: “What happened?”

He replied: “I told you already last time you guys, don’t ask that again to me. OK? Are we clear about that? I gave my reasons and I stand by it.” “

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Brilliant.

the-muffin-man

This reply to Red Bull’s attempt to whitewash gives the lie, if the video’s true.

And the initial request many laps before should have been enough – there shouldn’t have been need for a begging reminder. They’re making themselves look like fools.

tlr

That shows Trumpian levels of self delusion, thinking that just by saying it only happened on the last corner makes it true.

How on earth did they expect to get away with that?

Even without referring to videos, I could tell you that it was way before the last corner.

Given that Red Bull is essentially a marketing company, they seem to be failing spectacularly at managing the ‘publicity’.

the-muffin-man

I wonder who’s pulling the strings at Red Bull now Dietrich Mateschitz has passed? Seeing as F1 was his baby.

thepurist

I wonder who’s pulling the strings at Red Bull now Dietrich Mateschitz has passed?

I hear there’s some young Dutch guy who seems to be telling them all what to do.

pocpoc
    Free Member

^ that made me laugh more than it should

ads678

Name change coming next season to Rode Stier!

tomhoward

Given that there’s 15 corners at Interlagos then turn 12 definitely isn’t the final corner

13-15 are flat out, so while they are direction changes, so technically have a corner number, they don’t really count. It’s accepted that 12 is the last proper corner.

Plus, he was told well before 12…

Daffy

It’s the Donald Trump school of thought – the truth doesn’t matter. Evidence doesn’t matter. So long as you get your story out first and keep repeating the lie – it’ll all eventually go away.

andrewh
    Free Member

The Ferrari junior programme is short of talent

Schwarzman and Illot?
    I’d say either would be a better bet than Hulk.
    Hulk is an OK driver, those two could be a bit rubbish or could be great. They’ve Kmag to get the solid, dependable drives in, they don’t need two decent midfield drivers, they can afford to take a punt on a rookie, they *may* hit on a star with one of those two, they won’t with Hulk.
    Also, it would appear that Schumacher really was flattered by Mazapin last year 🤣

multi21
    Free Member

DId Logan Sargeant do enough laps for a super licence?

the-muffin-man

Think they have to do 100km – so at 23 laps completed he should have done enough for the extra point.

Superlicence still depends on where he finishes in F2 though. These runs are just adding ‘back-up’ points.

mashr

So this Checo crash thing. If anyone does investigate properly (throttle position info is probably all that’s needed) what would the penalty be? Deliberate crashing is right up there in “booted out of the championship” territory isn’t it? Which would also then kill RVs constructors championship?

Potentially a big mess incoming

the-muffin-man

Deliberate crashing is right up there in “booted out of the championship” territory isn’t it?

They’re all at it according to Sainz! 🤣

Deliberate crashes more common in F1 than you think – Sainz

Asked by The Race if he was willing to give any other examples of deliberate crashes, Sainz joked: “I can go for drinks and dinner with you guys, and without a microphone I can tell you!”

the-muffin-man

Ricciardo all but confirmed as 3rd Red Bull driver – no pressure then Checo!… 😬

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricciardo-set-to-join-red-bull-as-third-driver-in-2023-claims-marko/10401632/

andrewh
    Free Member

So this Checo crash thing. If anyone does investigate properly (throttle position info is probably all that’s needed) what would the penalty be? Deliberate crashing is right up there in “booted out of the championship” territory isn’t it? Which would also then kill RVs constructors championship?

Schumacher was excluded from the 1997 championship (but not Ferrari). No penalties for the 1998 season.
    Briatore and Symonds were both banned after the Singapore Crashgate scandal.
    Vettel got a 10 second stop-go for the Baku incident
    Schumacher got absolutely nothing for his parking at Mirabeau (sp?) or Adelaide 94 (may have had the benefit of the doubt at Adelaide but then Jerez 97 took away any doubt IMO)
    Senna/Prost 89 and 90, Senna got a DSQ for rejoining in an incorrect way🤷‍♂️
    That’s it off the top of my head, anyone else got any others?

shermer75
    Free Member

So this Checo crash thing

Is this about Monacco?

the-muffin-man

Yes – that famous crash the no-one even commented on at the time! 🙂

nickc

Do we think that had anyone else but Vettel invited all the current drivers to a celebratory dinner, they’d have all showed up?

dawson

Bottas looks like someone doing a bad impression of himself

Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 3,110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.