Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 5,338 total)
  • F1 2021 – spoilers here
  • thols2

thols2

I don’t buy the excuse that the wheelspin was more in second than they expected, normally you go a gear higher to reduce the wheelspin risk.

I think he had to do a fairly brutal clutch release to avoid stalling, the wheels started spinning and it just got away on him. The first gear ratio will be optimized for standing starts, second will be too high (otherwise they’d just use the second gear ratio for first gear). Pretty embarrassing mistake for a world champion team.

thols2

WTF happened to Ricciardo?

Twodogs

I’ve realised that the reason I don’t want Max to win isn’t cos I don’t like Max (I think he’s matured a lot over the last couple of years)…it’s cos I can’t stand Christian Windbag Horner

MSP

The sky commentary was particularly unbearable today.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

which part of the commentary? Caught brundles grid walk which just seemed like a filler and davidson’s review on the skypad was all over the place. Otherwise really enjoyed the race, superb recovery by Leclerc and Bottas.

nickc

I’m fairly sure I was promised a fingernail biting season of close racing tension as RedBull and Mercedes fight it out for the season championship…wake me up when that all kicks off

P20

Gutted for Russell and Williams

Twodogs

I’m fairly sure I was promised a fingernail biting season of close racing tension as RedBull and Mercedes fight it out for the season championship…wake me up when that all kicks off

Don’t hold your breath…Merc have stopped developing this year’s car

Bez

Russell, Norris and the Ferrari boys were all very impressive. And fair play to Red Bull, they had all of Mercedes’ options completely covered.

Let’s hope the weather breaks next week, though…

mactheknife

Really hoping Ricciardo figures out what the issues are. With the sheer amount of data these guys have to hand McLaren must have an idea. Lando is on fire at the moment, as is Carlos Sainz. The latter keeps a calm head and out of trouble to bring his race home time and time again. Very impressive.

mashr

the Ferrari boys were all very impressive

Ignoring LeClerc simply driving into Gasly of course – surprised he didn’t even seem to get as much as a warning for that one, seemed really odd

Bez

Yeah, ignoring that. Like Coulthard says, he’s exceptional but still makes really silly errors from time to time.

Ricciardo is a conundrum: he’s been with five teams now, so it’s not like he’s never had to adapt to a new car. But to be fair he started the race well before he had the PU issue.

thols2

From what I’ve been reading about Ricciardo, his overtaking moves rely on braking very late and then rotating the car very sharply on turn in, but the McLaren can’t be driven like that and requires a more progressive easing off the brakes as the car is rotated into the corner. If Ricciardo’s been driving like that for years, it’s going to be very hard for him to change. He also struggled at first with Renault, but they developed the car to suit how he drives. This seems to be where Hamilton, Alonso, and Verstappen have an edge – they can adapt their driving to the car, whereas Ricciardo and Gasly seem to be really fast when the car suits them but struggle when it doesn’t.

I thought he started really well yesterday and looked to be on course for a sixth place finish until his PU played up. Finishing fifth and sixth is pretty much McLaren’s goal, so that really was about as good as could be expected from the car.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ignoring LeClerc simply driving into Gasly of course – surprised he didn’t even seem to get as much as a warning for that one, seemed really odd

You’re not suggesting Ferrari might get preferential treatment from time to time are you?

lawman91

Still can’t fathom why Merc didn’t take a punt on stopping Lewis earlier and trying what Max did at Ricard, they gave up for fastest lap so why not roll the dice and earlier and give Lewis 20 laps to make up the 25 second gap after the pit stop, he would have finished second and probably still got fastest lap at worst, or have been closer to Max at the finish rather than have him cruise to the finish. They’re going to need to be more aggressive if they want a chance I think if they have truly stopped bringing new parts to the car…

One thing that did pop into my mind the other day that I thought was interesting, was the lower grid always going for a good allrounder after Williams have come out and said they’ve gone for more peaky downforce so their form might ebb and flow over the season. I was reminded of 2009 when the Force India was super strong at Spa and Monza and thought, hang on, why not just build a car for a specific type of circuit and maximise your one or two chances through the year and hang on for the rest? With all the will in the world, Williams et al will be lucky to score a handful of points this year, so if they built a car purely for straight line speed so they’d be a genuine threat at Spa/Monza they could get a couple of strong points finishes or even a podium or win if the stars align? It’s not a long term strategy, but worth a shout if you find yourself at the back and need some cash from a better constructors placement at the end of the season?

simondbarnes

Still can’t fathom why Merc didn’t take a punt on stopping Lewis earlier and trying what Max did at Ricard, they gave up for fastest lap so why not roll the dice and earlier and give Lewis 20 laps to make up the 25 second gap after the pit stop, he would have finished second and probably still got fastest lap at worst, or have been closer to Max at the finish rather than have him cruise to the finish.

Because Max was 5 seconds ahead and would have just pitted next lap to cover. Hardly rocket science.

inkster
    Free Member

Regarding Christian ‘windbag’ Horner, he used to come out and big up Max by making snide remarks about Lewis Hamilton and trying to play mind games.

I think the reason Max has got a lot better both on and off the track is that he’s stopped looking to his boss for advice and started to learn from Lewis instead.

End of last season, when Russell performed so well in the Merc when Lewis had Covid, Max was asked ‘does it matter who the driver is when it’s all about the car’ (obvious dig at Lewis) and Max replied, “yes, because he will make the right decisions at the crucial moments”.

He won me over with that comment. When you consider Hamilton had his father, Ron Dennis, Nikki Lauda and Toto Wolf as mentors, and Max had his own (psychopathic) father and the afformentioned windbag as mentors I think Max has matured pretty well over the last year or so.

jairaj

Agree I think Max has matured a lot in the last couple seasons. I used to think he was a petulant teenager and very cocky but he has mellowed a lot and gives some sensible answers now.

His on track behaviour is also much better too; he used to have a habit of causing crashes from very optimistic overtaking opportunities. He appears to be much better at wheel to wheel racing and avoiding accidents.

I used really dislike him but I quite like him now and don’t mind congratulating him on his recent achievements. I wouldn’t be too upset if he won the drivers championship this year.

lawman91

Because Max was 5 seconds ahead and would have just pitted next lap to cover. Hardly rocket science.

But at least it puts Red Bull under pressure to perform and ace everything. They’d already fluffed one pit stop for Perez, not at all saying they would do the same again, but even if they had a 99.9% chance of acing it, that’s still better odds than the 100% chance of not getting anything else from it if they don’t force them to stop at all. Red Bull won at Ricard because they were aggressive, Mercedes have won before being aggressive, hence why I was confused they didn’t even attempt to force the issue and apply a bit of pressure. Sitting back and letting Max streak away just felt like they’d given up, which is not how you win championships…

Twodogs

I used really dislike him but I quite like him now and don’t mind congratulating him on his recent achievements. I wouldn’t be too upset if he won the drivers championship this year.

This

thols2

I think part of Max’s maturity is that he now has a fully competitive car so he’s not forced to take silly risks. He was always impressively fast but it was win or bust because he wasn’t fighting for the championship so getting race wins meant more to him. Now that he’s fighting for the championship, he needs to score points consistently rather than risking it all for to win one race. As above, I think he learned a lot from watching Hamilton operate.

thepurist

Merc stopping development doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t have a bundle of new parts in the pipeline already – I wouldn’t write them off just yet.

retro83
    Free Member

thepurist

Merc stopping development doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t have a bundle of new parts in the pipeline already – I wouldn’t write them off just yet.

True, I do think Merc/Hamilton are seeming pretty rattled though. On Missed Apex podcast they said Hamilton spent 5 hours in the sim working on setup, and he apparently normally does the bare minimum amount of sim work.

ginkster

But at least it puts Red Bull under pressure to perform and ace everything. They’d already fluffed one pit stop for Perez, not at all saying they would do the same again, but even if they had a 99.9% chance of acing it, that’s still better odds than the 100% chance of not getting anything else from it if they don’t force them to stop at all. Red Bull won at Ricard because they were aggressive, Mercedes have won before being aggressive, hence why I was confused they didn’t even attempt to force the issue and apply a bit of pressure. Sitting back and letting Max streak away just felt like they’d given up, which is not how you win championships…

Lewis didn’t have any new medium tyres available whereas Max did so he was always going to be at a tyre disadvantage to a clearly faster car. If Lewis had pitted earlier it would have given Max the chance to pit as well. Not only would Max still have won but he would also have got a chance at (and almost certainly got) fastest lap. By pitting Lewis with only 2 laps to go Max couldn’t counter it so Lewis was pretty much guaranteed the extra point. It also meant Lewis was in a position to capitalise if Max had any issues until the last moment.

the-muffin-man

Silverstone will be the place where we see if Mercedes can fight back or not. If they get trounced there then the championship is Max’s to lose.

thols2

retro83
    Free Member

^ love that, really shows where each car is better.

mashr

2022 you have my attention

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQelgblpHYE/?utm_medium=copy_link

(Hoping this is accurate)

PJM1974
    Free Member

As much as I wish to see F1 cars that aren’t proportioned like a street luge, I’d be amazed if that insta pic was accurate.

The cars will be even heavier too, approaching the weight of a 1980s Fiat Uno hatchback. While it’s hard to argue against safety led improvements in crash structure that necessitate extra mass, I have little faith that two of next year’s cars placed end to end will measure less than one time zone in length again.

andrewh
    Free Member

2022 you have my attention

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQelgblpHYE/?utm_medium=copy_link

(Hoping this is accurate)

Looking at that picture the bit between the back of the cockpit and the rear axle is much shorter next year. I thought they were carrying over the engines and gearboxes more or less, and presumably fuel tanks. How much of what is there now is empty space? I thought they were pretty tight in there. Am I missing something, how is that bit getting smaller, they cant move everything out to the sidepods can they?

thols2

I think the engine and gearbox are actually quite small, the teams put a lot of work into making them really compact (that was one of the main reasons that Honda’s first engine was so terrible). There’s a fuel cell behind the driver and a battery pack, plus radiators for the engine coolant, intercoolers, and oil coolers. Some of those things can be moved around. The total volume of the car behind the driver will be the same, just located differently. Under the current regulations, getting space for airflow through the rear suspension and around the gearbox is key to getting the rear diffuser to work, so the 2021 car is longer and slimmer at the back. The 2022 car is shorter but fatter at the rear. All the same parts will be in there, just packaged differently for the new aero regulations.

stumpy01

I don’t really care too much what the cars look like, so long as the changes to the cars makes the racing closer.

I hope it will do, but am not convinced. I think initially there might be tighter racing until the designers get enough data to start tweaking things & pushing the limits of the regulations.

retro83
    Free Member

The 2022 cars were going to be even smaller at one point, the wheelbase was going to be 340cm and they’ve changed it to 360cm.

I have little faith that two of next year’s cars placed end to end will measure less than one time zone in length again.

Missed this, the wheelbase is actually specified in the tech regs next year so fingers crossed …

thols2

I don’t really care too much what the cars look like, so long as the changes to the cars makes the racing closer.

I think IndyCar is what you need.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Just looking at the tech regs – the wheelbase is indeed 3600mm, but the 2019 Merc W10 had a wheelbase measuring 3698mm. By comparison, a 1990 Ferrari 640 had a wheelbase measuring 2830mm, a 2007 car had a 3135mm wheelbase.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Oh God, I’ve become a pub bore. Just give me a car that looks superficially like a Ferrari 640 or a Jordan 191 and I’ll stop moaning for a while.

thols2

Just give me a car that looks superficially like a Ferrari 640 or a Jordan 191 and I’ll stop moaning for a while.

Damn it’s strange seeing an F1 car with no halo. What’s to stop the driver’s head being decapacitated from his body if he crashes?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Damn it’s strange seeing an F1 car with no halo. What’s to stop the driver’s head being decapacitated from his body if he crashes?

Mansell looks horribly exposed in that car, to be clear I’m in no way anti-halo or against any other safety device that prevents death or injury to a driver.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 5,338 total)

The topic ‘F1 2021 – spoilers here’ is closed to new replies.