Home Forums Bike Forum Exposure Joystick vs. Axis

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Exposure Joystick vs. Axis
  • mashr

Has anyone been able to do a comparison of recently models of these 2? Some searching indicated that the old Axis was more of a flood than the Joystick, making the Joystick better suited as a helmet light (which is what I’m looking for)

On the other hand the Exposure website makes the 2 of them sound very similar, and seems to imply that the Axis should be the better of the 2, e.g. “When switchback apex’s need nailing, and narrow lines require a tighter, searching beam, the Axis has a focused 1300 lumens beam for throwing light far down the trail. ”

I can’t find any useful Joystick Mk17 v Axis Mk10 comparisons (and Exposure don’t have beam pattern photos these days) so struggling to work out which is most suitable when all the specs are splitting hairs.

Daffy

I’ve got a Mk9 and a Mk 16.  They’re very similar.  The axis is heavier and very slightly more powerful, but for a helmet light I always go for the Joystick Mk 15 and Mk 16 that I have.  I tend to sling the Axis under the bars as a road/gravel light in the Spring and Autumn.  I don’t like a heavy helmet light.

mashr

How much weight difference do you reckon there is? I’m with you on light being good, but Exposure are claiming only a 9g difference between the 2 current models

montylikesbeer

To throw a spanner in the works I would recomend the Four4th Scortch QRS.

I have had the standard Scortch for three years and its an incredible little light giving out 2200 lumens.

It comes with either a helmet or bar mount but you can purchase another oposite mount for total flexibility.

Scorch QRS

aide

Can’t compare the two models but have an (older) joystick, very happy with it as a helmet light and would probably get the same again if it ever went.

MadBillMcMad

The axis has TAP, whether you think that is good or not requires a whole new thread to discuss!

Daffy

On paper, it’s not much, but it feels it and looks it.  It’s a bigger light.

I tend to turn Tap off when running the light off-road – big bumps tend to have it flicking between modes.

jeffl

To address the spanner in the works ;-). I have both a Four4th Scorch (not QRS) and an Exposure Joystick. I think the Scorch QRS adds a physical switch, rather than having to tap the lens to turn on/off and change functions, like the version that I have.

I prefer the Joystick as although it has fewer lumens it is much more focused, so punches through the night better. I tend to use the Scorch as a bar light nowadays.

mashr

DaffyFull Member
    On paper, it’s not much, but it feels it and looks it.  It’s a bigger light.

I’m beginning to think that Exposure might be a tad economical with the truth when it comes to weights. Various old listings I’ve found for the Axis mk9 are quoting 102g (same as Mk10) but interestingly Leisure Lakes say it’s 186g. Likewise Exposure say it’s only 1mm longer and 1mm wider than the Joystick.

Might have to order both and send one back

I can see myself ordering both and sending one bac

joebristol

I’ve got an axis – I’m slightly underwhelmed with battery life. The light is decent other than that – it lights up corners well to fill in what the bar light doesn’t cover (Maxx D – which is flipping ace). It’s not big / heavy at all – looks much smaller than a mate’s Diablo.

I haven’t had a joystick but I wonder whether it’s got the same size battery but lower lumen output so has a better battery life? Not looked into it though.

DrP

I’ve both.
    if it’s helmet, get the joystick all day long.

I only use the axis on teh road bike bar nowadays… Joystick is just the better helmet light

DrP

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My Axis weighs 105g. I don’t think I’ve used it in anger yet, just on a few gravel rides, due to nit doing much night riding last year. I’m not a fan of the tap system, I’d prefer a much simpler light if I’m honest. My old Ay-Up lights were great as they were so simple, a nice big button that was easy to find and use with gloves on and a simple on or off. I don’t need lots of brightness options on my lid I’m just using it for the descents. But it is well made and hopefully I’ll get round to using it more this winter.

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

I just disable the TAP function. Kept finding it had been changed by bumps and the battery had gone because it was on high and I didn’t notice.

I totally understand the logic of wanting a spot rather than flood light for helmet use, that’s why I bought a Axis. But…9 times out of 10 I walk out the door with the Zenith instead. I don’t really find having a more focused spot or further projection outweighs more output.

rudedog
    Free Member

I bought the Axis for a helmet light for off road trails – completely underwhelmed  so sent it back. Main gripes:

– disappointing run times
    – too floody and gets lost if you have a decent bar light

– tap feature useless for off road
    – no replaceable battery (need exposures daft and expensive ‘support cell’ to extend runtimes)

tried a Diablo after that and was similarly underwhelmed – much better VFM lights out there than exposure IMO

I don’t mind paying a premium for quality gear but exposure are only providing the wrong 50% of this

jeffl

@rudedog what helmet light did you go for in the end?

rudedog
    Free Member

Ive been using a Moon Meteor Pro,  it’s not perfect either but it was only £37 delivered.

The two main beefs I have with it are the button can be difficult to operate with full finger gloves and you have to cycle through the flash modes to change from its low setting back to high.

Other than that, it’s been a great light for the money – good throw and tight beam, reasonably light, decent runtime, easy to swap out a battery (takes 18650s), USB C charging and cheap.

its gone up slightly in price since I got it but still good value

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/moon-meteor-vortex-pro-front-light/137081888/p

BadlyWiredDog

Not an Axiis, but my experience of a Joystock relative to a Diablo – both older models – is that the Joystick is a fantastic helmet light with a focussed beam, but that in turn makes it of limited use as a bar light. The Diablo will work fine as a head-mounted light, but also has a slightly broader spread that means it’s also okay on the bars.

If the Axis is similar, I think it comes down to how you intend to use the light. If you want a light that’s good on the bars and well as on your head, the Joystick’s not really it, though to be fair I once descended Holme Moss in the dark with only a bar-mounted one for illumination, that was, erm, ‘fun’.

No experience of an Axis, but I use a Joystick on my helmet with a Maxx D on the bars

Perfect combo IMO

I do manage the runtime by only having it at the brightest setting for downhills, but haven’t had it die on me.

My mate with a Diablo on the other hand it’s always moaning about how rubbish the battery life is

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.